motorola dcp501

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have been thinking of doing the same, but all reviews I have seen on the Motorola unit are not very good...

I know this unit has had some major reliability problems, but I see no one praising it's sound quality...

If it sounds is good, as it should be, I would buy one just for the amp modules and forget all the other features (Cable box, DVD player, etc)...maybe rip out all of the good stuff (modules, power supply) and just recase...

K
Hmmm, too bad I just bought an AMP5, otherwise I would try it...

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Bought it...just for the Tripath amps

Well, finally picked up one of those New Motorola DCP-501 receivers - should be here in a few days. I will post some pics and see how it sounds. The receiver was a great idea - DVD/CD player, Cable Converter box and 6 channel Home Theater Amp, but a couple of things killed it - the DVD player has composite and S-video, but no Component - (Big mistake #1 - Why the hell not?) and also, no binding posts - all output channels are the crappy push in clip types.

Aside from the above and really horrible reliability issues, I can see why this never really sold very well. But, if I just look at the five TA3020 channels alone, well at least they hopefully could be extracted and re-housed into a nice chassis...

And since these TA3020 come in stereo pairs, there should be a hidden sixth channel somewhere like the Teac had.

Anyway more later.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Well, received the unit today. This thing is HUGE. The Amp board is on its side and takes up about 1/30th of the case volume (probably why Motorola went with Tripath). Pretty easy to take out the amp board if I really wanted to (except for a few Power and input/output wires that go deeper into the unit)

Anyway, popped in a Diana Krall CD and it sounded pretty damn good. Nice and clean. Tomorow I will attach my maggies and see how it sounds with a little more volume an power draw. So far I am impressed. It could have better connetors (5 way binding posts) and be a bit smaller, but I am digging it. For Brand Spankin' new, Digital Cable box, DVD/CD player and best of all three Tripath TA3020 stereo amps, all for $102 (with another $30 for shipping) I couldn't pass it up...I could really use the Motorola cable box too...hopefully Comcast will allow me to initialize it so it can be used...another story...

Anyway, I may get another chance to post some pics...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cool!! Can you tell what Tripath chips it uses?

The Maggies should sound nice, they seem to make just about any amp sing.

Keep us informed.

Right now I'm listening to a stock Super-T at work on my big 2 ways. Giant room, and the Super-T is doing well. Surprising.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
As far as I have read, they are using the TA3020, but they have a thin heatsink on them, so I cannot tell for sure...

But Like I said, so far, it was worth the $130 shipped. There is a common issue of crackling and popoing sounds, buit I have not yet seen these on mine. If I really get miffed at the noise issues (which is most likely RF and internal noise (this thing is PACKED with electronics), I will just yank the board and recase it.

Mele Kalikimaka!

And Aloha too.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The MOSFETS are under the board and attached to a sheet of aluminum heatsink.

I hooked them up to my Maggie MMG's today and at higher volumes, the OVERLOAD came on. I had to "reboot" the DCP-501 and everything was cool again. There are reports that this unit Overloads too easily, and the speaker connectors have 8 Ohms written near the speaker jacks, so I don't know if they can really run 4 ohm maggies without Overloading (I know the TA3020 is 4 ohm capable).

But it did sound very good. I will have my wife and neighbor do a listening test (my hearing is a bit shot) to see if there is a lot of static and the overall sound quality compared to a few amps I have...

Panny SA-XR25
Panny SA-XR45
Panny SA-XR50
Gainclone LM3886 (Brian GT)
LM3886 Gainclone (Generic)
Tripath TA2020 (Hypertech 6 channel Board)
Tripath TA2024 (SI 5066 slightly modded)

And I will have the following soon to compare:
Generic Gainclone LM3886 w/paralelled output 205 wpc (not yet complete)
Tripath TA2022 (AMP5 - not yet complete)
Tripath TA2350 (AMP2 - en route and not yet complete)

So far to me, the maggies sound best in this order:
SA-XR45
SA-XR50
Motorola DCP-501
Gainclone LM3886 (Brian GT)
Tripath TA2020
Gainclone LM3886 (Generic)
SA-XR25
Tripath TA2024

My wife prefers the sound of the TA2020 best...javascript:smilie(':confused:')
confused

Anyway, more later

Was just researching the DCP501 on google when i happened to see this thread. This ebay seller is selling them brand new for around $90 shipped total: http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-DCP501...0QQihZ015QQcategoryZ14981QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wonder if this thing can be yanked apart for parts but i'm more interested in it's functionality as a 5.1 receiver. In the meantime i'll keep googling till my eyes bleed :xeye: If i stumble upon anything major i'll be sure to post it here!

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have taken mine aprt (I now have two) and the amp board is small (runs the entire length of the right side of the amp on its side) and main rails are from a Toroid that looks big and should be between 500VA to 1000VA and has a big M (Motorola) sticker on it. There is a separate SMPS that supplies the 5V (or 12v) to the amp board and powers all the other crap (cable box, dvd player, etc)

As soon as I have the opportunity (my basement is being refinished), my first project is to strip the amp board and power suppply out and and recase it in something real nice...actually sounds pretty nice.

I also noticed that depending on the MOSFETS on the board (I couldn't see what is actuially in it) it could be upwards of 200 - 300 watts/channel. The problem I saw with mine was it would "Overload" very easy with my Magnepan (4 ohm) speakers...power supply might be designed for 8 ohm speaker load (low VA capability)

More later

Thanks, John65b, and sjetski71,

I couldn't pass on it for 69.00, plus 20.00 shipping. I ordered one tonight! Thanks for the ebay link sjetski71.

John65b, so you liked the sound of the DCP501 better than a 2020 set-up? By your list I take that it sounded pretty good! Can you describe the sound in more detail?

Thanks again both of you, I can't wait to get it, I have been looking at those for two years or so.

Tripath07

I just ordered 2. This could be a very inexpensive start to a very expensive addiction.

BTW watch out for shipping on this. Rip off artists will give you a low-all estimate on shipping to your zip and jack the charge up higher. I won an auction that should have let me get it cheaper than the above link. But their low-ball estimate on shipping jacked the price up to 100$. Oh well.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Sound is quite good. Now understand you will have crappy spring clip style speaker connections and amp overload issues if you run 4 ohm speakers, or push your 8 ohmers too hard. But I have to say the sound is much like the TA2020 but a lot more power and another 5 channels. The TA2020 on a pair of 4 ohm maggies was quite a dissapointment, but the DCP-501 sounded pretty good and solid at semi high volume, before overloading and requiring a reboot of the unit.

I think you all will be quite happy with the sound. The DVD player actually has decent quality video, and as far as the cable box, well you will NEVER get the cable company to initialize it so you can do all the fancy stuff you current cable box does (Pay Per view, HBO, Digital channels, etc), but it WILL function as a cable tuner, with fully functional remote, for all channels non digital (2 - 99). I have two, one that I use as it stands, and one I will be ripping apart from the chassis and re casing the amp to make a nice 5.1 channel amp. Kinda like a more challenging Sonic Impact recasing project. Hopefully without all that other crap (DVD player, preamp, cable box, etc) the overload issue will be history.

This is too much fun.

To bad Tripath is on the verge of Bankrupcy ($.26/share - I have a bazillion shares now - what can I say, I like Tripath stuff). I hope someone like Cirrus Logic or TI buys them so they will be around a while longer.

john65b,

Ah, another fellow Tripath shareholder. I'll raise your Bazillion shares, with my Boat-Load of shares. The next 6 to 9 months will tell the tale with Old Tripath. My fingers are crossed that they finally ink a major deal. As Garon says they will announce only "material events" now. It will be an interesting next 9 months!

I am probably going to pull the hammer on another DCP501. I will upgrade the speaker connectors, ect. I'm not sure I will try a complicated project like you mentioned, but I would like to upgrade a few components. At $69 it is a great deal for the Class T sound, and the rest of the receiver. Plus I want to hear what a Class T amp sounds like with some power.

Thanks again for the review.

I will keep in touch with you on the stock.