are batteries a long term solution???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know some of you guys are using sla's with your tripath amps and I was wondering what you thought of them?
obviously the sounds good and I dont want to get into the sonics of with and without capacitors and all that stuff (yet :) ), but how easy are batteries to live with?

What sort of battery life are you getting with your sla's? and does the sound quality decrease as the batteries wear down, or do you just always charge the battery when its not running???

I noticed that most cheap sla chargers turn to "trickle" once the battery has been charged. I dont know if its safe to charge sla's permanently on this trickle mode.
If its not safe. does anyone know how long the charge in sla's lasts? I know with my various nicd batteries they lose almost all charge after a month tops. It would be annoying if I went on holiday for two weeks and could then not play music for a day after i got back.
I also noted that the chargers state they can not charge a completely flat battery (0v).

I suppose I would like having the sonics or battery power, and given that we get blackouts probably about once a month here it would be great hooking it up to an ipod line out, opening the windows and turning it up full blast in the next blackout...
However I spend a lot of time listening to music and I would hate it if i couldn't because the battery was flat.

Battery ps is great sounding but a little more hassle than conventional ac ps since you have to charge them occasionally.If you have 12v single supply things are much simpler of course than lets say +-24v.
Depends on your tripath amp of course.However with 7ah slas you should not worry too much.The tripath is very efficient and does not draw much current.You will get many hours use from a set of 7ah slas.You can make a good charger that is basically on and trickle charging most of the time even when listening to music.You could switch it off for more critical listening sessions.However if you leave the amp on without the charger and go on holiday then you will not be very happy.
There are various ready chargers that are cheap or you have to make your own with a few lm317/337s for +- supply.There are various schematics and indicators for status if you look around the net.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.