Hypex HG power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
afaik, yes.

It's 40.000uF caps on a single rectifier, 2 outputs for power but these are parallel.

Don't know about the DC protection. There's 2 different inputs, but I guess it can be used for a single channel.

BTW, it's an expensive PS for single channel use! :xeye:

You could use one PS for three channels (with possible loss of rail voltage for 3 channels fully used I guess) and add a switch to disengage one channel if not needed (I suppose you are doing an L-C-R setup?)

With one PS you are losing the ability for DC protection on one channel. You might add a cheap velleman 4701 for the centre channel but it is a passive device, I'm not sure it would do any good in case of DC on the center channel (relay will reset if the DC is gone - if it's "pulsating", don't know what it will do, or if it is fast enough for saving the C channel)

On & Off is a single connection on the PS, so you can switch the modules, no problem.

I'm going stereo with the HG PS, and might add a third channel in the way described, with a velleman DC protection, while the PS is doing the DC protection for L & R (my center is smaller and less power hungry, also cheaper than L&R) - for pure stereo I'll make sure it can be switched off.

Another possibility is to buy a standard grade PS for center. Don't know if it is a good thing to put 2 PS on a single set of secondaries though...

Yves Smolders said:
afaik, yes.

It's 40.000uF caps on a single rectifier, 2 outputs for power but these are parallel.

Don't know about the DC protection. There's 2 different inputs, but I guess it can be used for a single channel.

BTW, it's an expensive PS for single channel use! :xeye:

You could use one PS for three channels (with possible loss of rail voltage for 3 channels fully used I guess) and add a switch to disengage one channel if not needed (I suppose you are doing an L-C-R setup?)

With one PS you are losing the ability for DC protection on one channel. You might add a cheap velleman 4701 for the centre channel but it is a passive device, I'm not sure it would do any good in case of DC on the center channel (relay will reset if the DC is gone - if it's "pulsating", don't know what it will do, or if it is fast enough for saving the C channel)

On & Off is a single connection on the PS, so you can switch the modules, no problem.

I'm going stereo with the HG PS, and might add a third channel in the way described, with a velleman DC protection, while the PS is doing the DC protection for L & R (my center is smaller and less power hungry, also cheaper than L&R) - for pure stereo I'll make sure it can be switched off.

Another possibility is to buy a standard grade PS for center. Don't know if it is a good thing to put 2 PS on a single set of secondaries though...

I guess the HG supply can easily be modified to have DC protection with 3 inputs and connecting only 1 amp should be no problem at all. Just keep one of the DC protection terminals not connected. If I would connect 3 amps to one HG supply, I would modify the DC protection so that it can take 3 inputs, don`t want to mess things up with yet another DC protection for the 3rd channel. Maybe hypex will post a schematic of the supply sometime so that we can quickly see how simploe it is to add another input for DC protection. Maybe it is as simple as adding one resistor to create an addition input.

Best regards

Gertjan

I have just ripped out the RIFA 20,000uF per rail power supply and used the Hypex HG power supply. The mid and the high is about the same. But the bass is much stronger and tighter.

However ths bass is still not as good as my OTL....... I still find UCD400 less punchy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.