SMPS and AMP1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plan on using a 28-0-28 SMPS on three AMP1's and was wondering what the best way to get the "stabilized 50ma 5v" would be. The supply will be in a case with three XLR plugs, one for each individual amp, so the "solution" would need to come from the power feed into the amp.

Oh, and a couple dumb questions..... what is it even needed for, and does it need to be 5-0-5 or just a single supply?

My AMP2 is not here yet, but the assembly instruction say as follows:

Audio signal sources and the 5V supply must be grounded to J2. This connector is in turn connected via an inductor bead to the star grounding point where the power supply is connected.

The only reference to a LM317 in the document I see is for an external VN10 supply that should be around 11v. Do I just adjust the 1.8k or 240 ohm resitor to get a lower voltage?

I'm sure this is probably something very simple for most, but I'm kind of new at this stuff so please forgive me.

Power source

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't look into it deep enough. I have no idea what use their recommended circuit was for.
The LM317 input would be from the main + input, its ground should be the analog ground connected on the same connector where the 5V goes into the board. R1 = 240 ohm (out to adj), R2 = 720 ohm (adj to ground) for 5 volts. Wish I had an easy way to do a little drawing. Scanning and editing is way too much effort to get it small enough to be accepted for posting.
Roger

theAnonymous1 said:
The only reference to a LM317 in the document I see is for an external VN10 supply that should be around 11v. Do I just adjust the 1.8k or 240 ohm resitor to get a lower voltage?

I'm sure this is probably something very simple for most, but I'm kind of new at this stuff so please forgive me.

You could adjust the 1.8K part, I somehow recal the 240 is a pretty standard value there.

I think you could also use an LM7805 sort of device.

Check the maximum input voltages before you use them.

Thank you guys for all your help. After doing some reading it seems the lower you make the output voltage the hotter this little regulator is going to run. So if I am using a 28v supply and only need 5v from it, the LM317 has to dissipate the other 23v as heat :hot: .

In conclusion, I think I will use a LM350 or LM338, as they are rated at 3 and 5 amps. Thanks again for the help fellas.

Heat problem

With only .08a max the dissipation would be .08 X 23 = 1.84W. A small L bracket used to mount the part to the case would do very well getting rid of the heat This is very comfortably within the LM317’s specs, no problem. You really don’t need to use something bigger, especially something optimized for higher currents.
Roger

Your right Roger, I misread something in the document that led me to believe it would get much warmer than 1.6 watts of dissipation.

I'm using four 14v 12 amp supplies in series and there is no 5v section. Maybe theres 5v on the board somewhere, but I'm not comfortable probing around to find out.

I think this will work out well as long as I don't blow anything up trying to get the LM317 circuit working, I'm uber novice.

I'm just going to order one AMP1 for now and see how assembly goes and if I can actually get it to work. It will end up costing me another $10 in shipping fees to break up the order like that, but its better than having two more kits I can't use if things don't turn out right.

Ok, another question :( . Tripaths circuit has the ground and Vin reversed from the standard LM317 circuit because it uses VNN which would make ground positive for the 5v supply.

That doesn't sound very safe for how I intend to use it. Would it be ok to use VPP instead and use the standard LM317 input scheme?

Attached is an image of both circuits with tripaths being on top.

Attachments

• lm317.png
    lm317.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 215
theAnonymous1 said:
Seems I let my anxieties get the best of me again, the answer was as simple as just taking a moment to look at the 41hz website with my eyes a little wider open :bigeyes: .

Little devices like the attached pic can help you get rid of the transformer. If you get a 7.5V or 9V one and use it with an LM7805, it's very small.

Attachments

• a5-b.jpg
    a5-b.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 201
soongsc, I'm going to use an SMPS, so in the pic just imagine everything to the left of the +/- 30v gone and replaced with it.

I really need to slow down a bit, I just ordered 6 LM317's off ebay, then I found some LM317LZ's which are a TO-92 package that handle 100ma that I thought would work perfectly. This was all before I saw the 7805 regulator circuit on 41hz.com, so after seeing it I bought 6 LM7805's.

Now, I'm sure your saying something like "did this guy forget to take his meds today", but its not over yet. After ordering the 7805's I remembered I had some regulators somewhere but I had no clue what they were. I found four of them after a short search and low and behold their some nice Motorola T7805CT's that I verified to work in about 30 seconds hooking it up with two jumper wires to an SLA.

So after all my rambling and questions the answer to my problem was as close as the website for the amp, and my own junk drawer :dead: .

theAnonymous1 said:
soongsc, I'm going to use an SMPS, so in the pic just imagine everything to the left of the +/- 30v gone and replaced with it.

I really need to slow down a bit, I just ordered 6 LM317's off ebay, then I found some LM317LZ's which are a TO-92 package that handle 100ma that I thought would work perfectly. This was all before I saw the 7805 regulator circuit on 41hz.com, so after seeing it I bought 6 LM7805's.

Now, I'm sure your saying something like "did this guy forget to take his meds today", but its not over yet. After ordering the 7805's I remembered I had some regulators somewhere but I had no clue what they were. I found four of them after a short search and low and behold their some nice Motorola T7805CT's that I verified to work in about 30 seconds hooking it up with two jumper wires to an SLA.

So after all my rambling and questions the answer to my problem was as close as the website for the amp, and my own junk drawer :dead: .

I think we're on the same boat. I have an AMP2 that's supposed to come in soon, and I just got two 48V SMPSs that I intend to put in series (two of these turned out more expensive than the kit itself. :xeye: ). I'm also trying to figure out what to do to get the 5V. Most SMPS that I looked at had that kind of output, but not with the one's I got. So I'm just going to get the little AC-DC power either the 7.5V one or the 9V one and hook the LM7805 to regulate it. All I need to do is check the max input voltage of the LM7805.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.