My NON-discrete SODFA class-D amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A couple more noise reduction tips:

A switching transistor's ungrounded heatsink can radiate e-field noise into the small signal circuitry. Ground the heatsink to the output power ground, i.e. the center point between the output stage bypass capacitors (the 470uF electrolytics). This will mend your heatsink's EMI spraying ways and convert it into an EMI sink as well (Faraday shield).

By the way, the ground for all of the small signal audio circuitry should not be connected to this center point at all. That ground should only be connected to the power circuitry at one point, the final output filter capacitor ground (C25, 470nF, in your case).

The output power ground (capacitor center point) should also be the point where you tie in the grounds from your output stage power supplies. The loop area formed between the totem pole mosfets and their bypass capacitor should be squeezed down to the absolute minimum. Place these components as close together as possible, but as or more importantly, run the traces that form this loop right next to or on top of each other so that enclosed loop area is as close to zero as possible. This means that these trace will probably not run in the shortest straight lines between points.

click here for more tips about working with driver ICs.

Regards -- analogspiceman

Chris:
I agree in that older mosfets can be more rudged because thay are a bit slower. However, IRF640N, for example, is not what I call slow: it has 67nC max gate charge and 1.16nF input capacitance, not very high IMHO. My circuit uses 6.8ohm gate resistors, and the switching waveform has 45ns rise/fall times.
NTP35N15, that I also tried, has double gate charge and capacitance, and they were quite a bit more fragile however ¿?

Analogspiceman:
I use a kind of alluminium plate that serves both as the heatsink for the mosfets and as the "support" for the amp board. I also realized that this heatsink, which was floating, was radiating a lot of EMI due to capacitive coupling via the isolator of one switching mosfet. So I decided to connect it to GND with a 100nF SMD capacitor, at the power side of the board. Do you think this is correct or I can do it better in order to reduce EMI emissions?

Best regards,
Pierre

Hi Pierre,

The IRF640 I used, dont' think it was an N version.

There's still other factors to contend with as you mentioned before.

IRF510's took the same beating but didn't last 1/10 the time the 640's did. At the time it still lasted alot longer than an FDP3682 would.

Such Fet's take very little to drive and tend to overheat alot more readily, under less than ideal conditions.

In a P2P type setup we aren't talkign SMD devices so, what I did drill a hole in my heatsink close to the mosfet and bolted a small value ceramic cap to ground.

You can actually feel the difference it makes with your finger!

Regards,
Chris

In a P2P type setup we aren't talkign SMD devices so, what I did drill a hole in my heatsink close to the mosfet and bolted a small value ceramic cap to ground.

Sorry, I don't get you. Are you talking about my question of what to do to reduce EMI by coupling the heatsink to GND by means of a cap?
What difference do you feel with your finger exactly?

Best regards,
Pierre

Pierre said:

Sorry, I don't get you. Are you talking about my question of what to do to reduce EMI by coupling the heatsink to GND by means of a cap?
What difference do you feel with your finger exactly?

Best regards,
Pierre

No no just saying how it might relate to Sanders P2P implementation. As to yours, UCD uses a cap as well. It's only high frequency we're concerned with I'd imagine a cap would be fine, otherwise you have the inductance of the wire... using both could create a tank..

The difference? Without the cap my finger tingles, with the cap it doesn't!!

Regards,
Chris

Pierre said:
Sorry, I still don't understand what capacitor are you talking about...
Thanks for the clarification about heatsink decoupling one.

It's ok .. considering how I typed it.

Yeah I was talking about bypassing the heatsink to ground. You have a PCB so you used a surface mount cap, but if you wire p2p you can't really use surface mount. So for p2p I drilled a hole in the heatsink near the mosfet and screwed a through hole cap to it, as close to the mosfet as possible.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Subw01, analogspiceman, Chris, Pierre,

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, let me summarize them below:

You may also want to set Vcc on the IR2011 to 15v so that during peak positive output of the amp when the low time may be be very short, the upper capacitor, C20, will maintain a charge of at least 11.3v when it draws charge off of the lower one, C19. When it does so, it temporarily could take C19 from 15 down to 12 volts. But, that worse case scenario of the bootstrap capacitor dropping the lower one to 12v could happen only if the bootstrap one is zero when it draws charge from the lower one.

Hence, I'm better off running the IR2011 with a 15-volt supply.

Step 1. Get yourself a ferite core through which you can pass three to five turns of your 'scope probe's cable (the coax). Some of the larger, split-and-polished, clip-on anti-EMI test beads work nicely for this; so do ungapped ring cores with center holes large enough to pass the 'scope probe connector. Try to get a core with a cross section of at least half a square centimeter. Wrap the turns so that the core ends up next to the oscilloscope rather than the probe. Now rerun the ground noise pollution test from before. Common mode noise should be reduced by an order of magnitude or more.

Good thinking, I got clip-on EMI-reduction beads that fit the bill exactly.

A switching transistor's ungrounded heatsink can radiate e-field noise into the small signal circuitry. Ground the heatsink to the output power ground, i.e. the center point between the output stage bypass capacitors (the 470uF electrolytics). This will mend your heatsink's EMI spraying ways and convert it into an EMI sink as well (Faraday shield).

Excellent, it indeed is not connected to anything currently, I'll drill a hole into it and connect it to GND.

By the way, the ground for all of the small signal audio circuitry should not be connected to this center point at all. That ground should only be connected to the power circuitry at one point, the final output filter capacitor ground (C25, 470nF, in your case).

The output power ground (capacitor center point) should also be the point where you tie in the grounds from your output stage power supplies. The loop area formed between the totem pole mosfets and their bypass capacitor should be squeezed down to the absolute minimum. Place these components as close together as possible, but as or more importantly, run the traces that form this loop right next to or on top of each other so that enclosed loop area is as close to zero as possible. This means that these trace will probably not run in the shortest straight lines between points.

Alright, looks like I'll be doing a new perf. board layout afterall.

I've also thought myself how to use LTspice more proficiantly over the weekend, so I'll be modelling this design with more than just my calculator this week to see whether there's parts of the design that could use some further refining. I also stumbled across the following, compare the below image to the one I posted recently.

LT1016 ringing due to inproper termination
11688.jpg

LT1016 output in my design
11678.jpg

This is exactly what I'm seeing at my comparator outputs, hence we could be looking at reflections due to the outputs not being properly terminated. I'll add 470-ohm resistors to ground to see whether that helps.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Alright, I spent the better part of today getting re-acquainted with LTspice and I entered the full schematic, created simbols for the parts that weren't in the library (such as the IR2011 driver) and I was able to get it to work.

However, since I've never used LTspice to simulate amplifier efficiency, THD and other things you'd like to know prior to putting the idea to reality I'd like to know how to do this. The following things are of interest to me:

- Frequency range, how linear is the amp?
- Efficiency, power in vs. power out ratio
- THD, how about the distortion?
- Carrier frequency, how to find the carrier frequency?
- etc.

These questions may seem trivial to those of you that have used LTspice for a while but remember I'm new to LTspice, I did work with Spice in school, but that's a different beast and a lot of years ago as well.

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

Edit: sloppy spelling and grammar

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Alright, to keep a long story short. I've modelled my SODFA design in LTspice and decided to have a go at a UcD version of the amplifier as well, hence I took a good hard look at Bruno's AES paper and got to work. The simulations I did with the UcD design in LTspice consistently generated better scores. One of the culprits though is that the carrier frequency is hard to control with a UcD design, yet I managed to lock it down to 400KHz on my UcD design without too much trouble. Below are the screenshots for both designs. They are run with the following commands:

SINE(0 x 10k) (x = 1 for UcD, 0.7 for SODFA)
.tran 0 500u 0 1u steady uic
.four 10kHz 10 V(OUTPUT)

Typical output for both designs is around 28vrms with 1vrms input into an 8-ohm load and both operate at 400KHz carrier frequency, give or take a few KHz. Below you'll also find the THD results clipped from the log files from both designs.

In the below images you see in the top left corner the FFT result with 'none' selected for windowing. In the top right 'Hann' is selected for windowing. The magnification of the output is shown in the bottom left and you can clearly see the carrier frequency here.

ucd_class_d_002
11694.gif

sodfa_class_d_001
11695.gif

ucd_class_d_002 THD

Per .tran options, skipping operating point for transient analysis.
Changing Tseed to 1e-010
Changing Tseed to 1e-012
Heightened Def Con from 0.0005 to 0.0005
Fourier components of V(output)
DC component:0.173333

Harmonic Frequency Fourier Normalized Phase Normalized
Number [Hz] Component Component [degree] Phase [deg]
1 1.000e+04 2.672e+01 1.000e+00 174.20° 0.00°
2 2.000e+04 8.681e-04 3.248e-05 109.55° -64.65°
3 3.000e+04 4.190e-03 1.568e-04 -36.04° -210.24°
4 4.000e+04 7.609e-04 2.847e-05 -29.58° -203.78°
5 5.000e+04 3.966e-04 1.484e-05 -94.52° -268.72°
6 6.000e+04 2.910e-04 1.089e-05 158.48° -15.72°
7 7.000e+04 7.928e-04 2.967e-05 131.18° -43.02°
8 8.000e+04 2.310e-04 8.643e-06 137.23° -36.97°
9 9.000e+04 5.948e-04 2.226e-05 -173.89° -348.10°
10 1.000e+05 2.767e-04 1.035e-05 147.85° -26.35°
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.016836%

sodfa_class_d_001 THD

Per .tran options, skipping operating point for transient analysis.
Changing Tseed to 1e-010
Changing Tseed to 1e-012
Heightened Def Con from 5.52581e-005 to 5.52631e-005
Heightened Def Con from 0.000486508 to 0.000486513
Fourier components of V(output)
DC component:-0.0286258

Harmonic Frequency Fourier Normalized Phase Normalized
Number [Hz] Component Component [degree] Phase [deg]
1 1.000e+04 2.645e+01 1.000e+00 167.79° 0.00°
2 2.000e+04 3.672e-03 1.388e-04 -97.61° -265.40°
3 3.000e+04 1.136e-02 4.294e-04 -56.04° -223.83°
4 4.000e+04 2.805e-03 1.060e-04 -76.36° -244.15°
5 5.000e+04 8.415e-04 3.181e-05 140.66° -27.12°
6 6.000e+04 3.277e-03 1.239e-04 -108.79° -276.58°
7 7.000e+04 3.673e-03 1.388e-04 -88.74° -256.53°
8 8.000e+04 4.050e-03 1.531e-04 -102.67° -270.45°
9 9.000e+04 3.128e-03 1.182e-04 -70.75° -238.54°
10 1.000e+05 2.682e-03 1.014e-04 -78.02° -245.80°
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.054611%

Obviously my preference is the UcD as it simulates a lot better and uses fewer components also, and I usually keep with my motto 'keep it simple'. However there's more to this story than just the switch from SODFA to UcD. As mentioned in the first paragraph of this post the one thing that's hard to do with UcD is precisely control the carrier frequency. It is basically controlled by the delay between the in- and output. Below is the principle schematic for a UcD amplifier courtesy of the talented Bruno Putzeys.

Bruno's UcD concept
11696.gif

Obviously in the Hypex UcD modules the comparator and MOSFET drivers are exactly matched so that the carrier freqeuncy can be controlled. This however is a balancing act which is hard to follow for the DIY-er, especially if you want to use ICs instead of discrete components. There's a way around this though, as you can simply include a R/C network with the UcD concept and connect that to the comparator's other input. Now you have control over the carrier frequency. Unfortunately doing it that way will shift the hysterisis of the comparator and hence introduce non-linear distortion, so we are faced with a whole new problem.

UcD with R/C network
11697.gif

Fortunately that is a problem that can easily be tackled by using a 2nd comparator, see below, and put the R/C network at its input. Hence there's no shift in hysterisis and the carrier frequency can be controlled exactly. I'm modelling this design in LTspice as I write this, so I have not yet drafted a somewhat final schematic, results from the simulation are however promising.

Sander's UcD concept
11698.gif

The big advantage obviously is that you can use fast opamps and comparators that are readily available, such as the LT1016 used in the above pictured UcD design without having to exactly match propagation delay in a design to reach a certain target carrier frequency. It can now be simply controlled by adding a second (ultra-fast if you like) comparator with a simple R/C network.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen

IR2011 LTspice model files

Hi there Sander,

You wrote:

> I've been trying to properly model my design in
> LTspice. Unfortunately I've not used LTspice before,
> we used Spice in school but that is almost a decade
> ago and thus progress is slow. Hence I would welcome
> some feedback if at all possible. Please have a look
> at the two below quoted ZIP files which also include
> a model for the IR2011 driver (modified from a
> IR2110 model).
>
> I can get both amps to work but I don't know why
> efficiency is that low (around 5 to 15% for both)
> hence my MOSFETs are being cooked in the simulation.
> In reality (got both amps running on the testbench)
> they're slightly warm at most, so what's going on
> here?

As previously mentioned in a private email, your driver model is largely at fault. I am attaching a zip file of a (hopefully) more accurate LTspice model of my own making. Unzip the test, model and symbol files to the same directory that contains your class d simulation schematics.

Also, the level shifter (to the driver inputs) in your schematic is lacking any dead time generator. The nominal 5ns or so provided by the IR2011 is not enough to overcome the asymmetry of the MOSFET's four volt gate threshold (relative to the sixteen volt driver supply) to avoid some efficiency killing cross conduction (which actually might enhance amplifier fidelity).

By the way, in LTspice, to get the best dynamic range with LTspice's FFT, you should turn off waveform compression and set the transient step size and end time to generate a sufficiently large, evenly distributed power of two of data points.

Regards -- analogspiceman

Attachments

• ir2011_test.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 845
Re: IR2011 LTspice model files

analogspiceman said:
Unzip the test, model and symbol files to the same directory that contains your class d simulation schematics.

I forgot to mention that these are hierarchical model files. (Those not familiar with LTspice's hierarchy should look it up in LTspice's help file.) The IR2011 .asc and .asy files are the only components needed for the hierarchical model to work in your top schematic. They simply need to be located in the same folder as where your schematic was opened. The tricky part, if you haven't done it before, is placing a hierarchical symbol for the first time. Voilà:

1) From within the LTspice schematic editor, open the "Place Component Symbol" dialog box as usual.

2) At the very top of the box click on the down arrow to get the drop-down selection pick list for a new "Top Directory".

3) Choose the folder where your working schematic currently is located and the IR2011 should now appear in the symbol selection area.

4) Select it and place it on your schematic as usual.

If desired, you may open the sub schematic (of the IR2011) by right clicking on it from within the top level schematic (your class d design). In this way you can access internal driver nodes during a simulation and plot them with a simple point-and-click (be sure you've enabled save subcircuit node voltages/currents from within the "Save Defaults" tab of the Control Panel).

Good luck! -- analogspiceman

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Alright, over the holidays I've been able to try out different topologies (UcD, SODFA, hys. osc.) and have acquainted myself with RightMark Audio Analyzer (RMAA) which allows for frequency reponse, THD, IMD, S/N, etc. measurements using your PC equipped with a good quality sound card.

11719.jpg

I've started out with a UcD concept, which is pictured above on the perforated board. It worked, but needed some tweaking to get it to run half decent (R/C in the feedback loop). The SODFA ran beautifully without any tweaks and the same applies to the hys. self oscillator. All of these were modelled and optimized in LTspice prior to trying them out on the breadboard, the carrier frequency is ~400KHz for all topologies.

Below you'll find the RMAA plots for all topologies running at ~80-watts/8-ohm at 1KHz. Needless to say I made sure that the output was identical for all topologies so these results can be compared directly. A 160-VA 2x35V transformer was used with 40.000uF of BHC slitfoils. Voltage was +/-42V at the terminals. The right channel is the amplifier the left channel is the reference signal which is a loopback from the soundcard input to the output, so I can compare directly (soundcard is a Audigy 2 ZS).

SODFA frequency response

11721.gif

SODFA THD results

11722.gif

UcD frequency response

11723.gif

UcD THD results

11724.gif

Hys. osc. frequency response

11725.gif

Hys. osc. THD results

11726.gif

Obviously you'll need to substract the THD for the soundcard from the total THD which yields the following results:

SODFA THD+N(A) = 0.033%
UcD THD+N(A) = 0.030%
Hys. osc. THD+N(A) = 0.012%

What's obvious from these results is that my output filter has a high-Q which isn't compensated for by the SODFA and hys. osc. that have pre-filter feedback, the UcD (with post-filter feedback) does a good job of keeping the output filter in check. What's also clear is that THD results are respectable for a breadboard-amplifier, but that the SODFA and UcD have comparable THD results. The hys. osc. clearly has the advantage here.

Any feedback, comments or suggestions are most welcome!

Best regards,

Sander.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.