Sonic Impact 5066 Parts List & Modifications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any spare 20k SMD resistors?

motherone said:
Here's my list of suggested modifications based on the datasheet and what I've seen other modders do:

....3) Replace R4/R5 to 20k resistors. This sets it to the "ideal" 12V/V listed in the datasheet (Vinnie R states that he does this mod on his Clari-T mod of the Sonic Impact). Currently, the gain is set to 21, this mod would reduce it to 12 (I think.. I'm not an EE, so if this is incorrect, someone please let me know)....

motherone

Hello,

Great work, everyone. These suggestions are extremely helpful.

I'm going to be modding my brother's SI soon and was wondering if anyone had any spare R4/R5 20k SMD resistors that they're not using.

I don't really have anything I need to order from Digi-Key, so I thought maybe getting just a few of these resistors from them might be a waste of shipping cost and packaging. Ideally I'd need enough to treat four or five amps.

If anyone has any spares of these, I'd gladly pay for their cost plus shipping to 10012, New York. Please PM me!

Thanks,
KT

Re: Any spare 20k SMD resistors?

KT said:

Hello,

Great work, everyone. These suggestions are extremely helpful.

I'm going to be modding my brother's SI soon and was wondering if anyone had any spare R4/R5 20k SMD resistors that they're not using.

I don't really have anything I need to order from Digi-Key, so I thought maybe getting just a few of these resistors from them might be a waste of shipping cost and packaging. Ideally I'd need enough to treat four or five amps.

If anyone has any spares of these, I'd gladly pay for their cost plus shipping to 10012, New York. Please PM me!

Thanks,
KT

I can send you 6-10 of them (I have to look at how many I have left). PM me or e-mail me at m i k e a t m o t h e r o n e d o t c o m. I'll just throw them in an envelope and stick a stamp on it.. Should get there with no probs :)

Dumb Question on volume control

OK, I've put my SI board into a new box and changed the cheesy volume control.

I went to a 100K pot instead of the 50K as per original.

Dumb Question: Does this change reduce the available output power? I would think it does not, but that's primarily a guess.

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Alright, now that my eyes are dry and burning from staring at the screen all night long, here is a summarized list of part numbers from Digikey to save other noobs the gruesome pain and suffering that I've endured trying to find this crap.

Panasonic FM 680uf 16v capacitor - P12378-ND - drop in replacement for the 330uf stock cap
Panasonic FM 2200uf 16v capacitor - P12369-ND - replaces the 330uf stock cap, but is considerably larger
Panasonic FM 1500uf 16v capacitor - P12368-ND - replaces C10 or something like that, I don't really remember
Rohm 20.0K OHM 1/10W 1% 0603 SMD resistor - RHM20.0KHCT-ND - it's not 0.1% as mentioned on the first page, but another guy used 'em so they're what I'm linking
Rohm 10.0K OHM 1/10W 1% 0603 SMD resistor - RHM10.0KHCT-ND - same as above

I also found these 0.1% 0603 resistors, but they're 1/16W. Knowing somewhere between nothing and jack **** about electronics, they may or may not work. I hope to find out before they arrive and I fry my T-amp. Let me know if they're no good.

Susumu 20.0K OHM 1/16W .1% 0603 SMD - RR08P20.0KBCT-ND - will they work? I don't know.
Susumu 10.0K OHM 1/16W .1% 0603 SMD - RR08P10.0KBCT-ND

There may be some other stuff missing (I had no idea what to look for in potentiometers), but this is what I've found. If I need to get more parts, I'll be coming back to this post to find out what the part numbers are because I never want to have to deal with Digikey's catalog again.

JWFokker said:
Alright, now that my eyes are dry and burning from staring at the screen all night long, here is a summarized list of part numbers from Digikey to save other noobs the gruesome pain and suffering that I've endured trying to find this crap.

Sorry, the original post had links to the parts at Digikey, but they do everything off of session based transactions.. Once my session expired, it went poof. And they don't let you go back and edit your posts at a later time here.

JWFokker said:

Panasonic FM 680uf 16v capacitor - P12378-ND - drop in replacement for the 330uf stock cap
Panasonic FM 2200uf 16v capacitor - P12369-ND - replaces the 330uf stock cap, but is considerably larger
Panasonic FM 1500uf 16v capacitor - P12368-ND - replaces C10 or something like that, I don't really remember

Pick one of these. Their purpose is to replace the PSU stiffening cap on the board. The 8mm diameter x 20mm high 680uF Panasonic FM (PN# P12378-ND) drops right in.

Any 10mm diameter cap should fit, but you need to skin the inductors. A quick list from digikey of other ones that would work:

680uF/16v (10mm x 16mm): P12377-ND
1000uF/16v (10mm x 20mm): P12366-ND
1200uF/16v (10mm x 25mm): P12367-ND

You can get beyond the width limit by replacing the inductors with toroidals, but then you run into stuff that will spill off the board.

JWFokker said:

Rohm 20.0K OHM 1/10W 1% 0603 SMD resistor - RHM20.0KHCT-ND - it's not 0.1% as mentioned on the first page, but another guy used 'em so they're what I'm linking

With my recommended mods, you only need the 20k. Digkey carries 20k/0.1% Panasonic 0603 resistors -- Part# ERA-3YEB203V.

JWFokker said:

There may be some other stuff missing (I had no idea what to look for in potentiometers), but this is what I've found. If I need to get more parts, I'll be coming back to this post to find out what the part numbers are because I never want to have to deal with Digikey's catalog again.

For potentiometers, the quick and easy solution (to me) is the 50k Alps "Blue Velvet". Tangent from head-fi.com carries these at his store for $16:

http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/shop/

If you have a preamp, skip the potentiometer (if you just want to use your T-amp as a dedicated amp). I've had very good results with the "Black body" noble 10k volume controls.. I found those on Ebay, as I don't think they're made anymore.

Odd. When I did a search for "20.0k .1%" I get that resistor, but with a price of $23 because it's the Digi Reel Custom Quantity dealie. How did you find it in other quantities? I punch in the part number you listed and I can see more than one listing for it, one with a minimum quantity of 10 at $0.59 each. So how's Susumu and Rohm resistor quality? They're 0.1% tolerance, so they can't be too bad right?

JWFokker said:
Odd. When I did a search for "20.0k .1%" I get that resistor, but with a price of $23 because it's the Digi Reel Custom Quantity dealie. How did you find it in other quantities? I punch in the part number you listed and I can see more than one listing for it, one with a minimum quantity of 10 at $0.59 each. So how's Susumu and Rohm resistor quality? They're 0.1% tolerance, so they can't be too bad right?

The tolerance has almost nothing to do with sound quality. Without trying to solder in both and listening, a madnet test might help.
Hold a small magnet over a bowl of SMD resistors. If some stick, throw them away. Ferrous endcaps are worse than the tin plated nickel ones. If you find some with copper end caps, go with these.

George

Anyone got pics of their complete T-Amp? I'm working on mine and I'm not too clear on what you mean to do with the C11/C12 caps. I got some 1500uf Panasonic FM caps. C10 is already done up with a 2200uf Panasonic FM. I may be doing something incorrectly though, because it was a pain in the *** to remove the stock cap and then to get the new cap to go through the board. I have a 30W iron with a pencil tip. Is this not hot enough?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Board Connections

Hey Motherone,
Can you edit your 1st post?
I was looking at the connection layout you had posted and seems incorrect. Looks like you swapped the ins & outs.

Please double check me on that, but I've gone over it several times and my PCB doesn't jibe with your post.

Sorry, I couldn't get you by email.

Thanks

Re: Board Connections

panomaniac said:
Hey Motherone,
Can you edit your 1st post?
I was looking at the connection layout you had posted and seems incorrect. Looks like you swapped the ins & outs.

Please double check me on that, but I've gone over it several times and my PCB doesn't jibe with your post.

Sorry, I couldn't get you by email.

Thanks

You're probably right. I need to double check my board when I get home. I'll PM them to you, Dave.

Pano, on the e-mail, did you PM me in the forum or send one to my e-mail address? Did you get a rejection notice or something?

Thanks!

Mike

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Board Connections

motherone said:
Pano, on the e-mail, did you PM me in the forum or send one to my e-mail address? Did you get a rejection notice or something?

Is there a PM on this board? I've not seen it.
I didn't email, could not find one here nor on your site.
But you got the message, anyhow. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.