Dual mono power supply's for the zappulse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plan on building a 2 channel amplifier, using 2 zappulse 2.2se modules, and dual mono power supplies. For each module I plan on using 1, 500va Piltron toridial transformer, 1 high speed full wave bridge recifier, with noise filtering caps, and 2x10000uf 100v cap's, with rc noise filtering after the caps. Now what I am confused about is if I use the transformer with 2x 45v secondarys, can I parallel them together, and hook them to the bridge recifier? it is my understanding that this will double the current, but the voltage will remain the same, is that alright? Or is it better to use a single centretap output transformer, rated at 60v?

micheat said:
I plan on building a 2 channel amplifier, using 2 zappulse 2.2se modules, and dual mono power supplies. For each module I plan on using 1, 500va Piltron toridial transformer, 1 high speed full wave bridge recifier, with noise filtering caps, and 2x10000uf 100v cap's, with rc noise filtering after the caps. Now what I am confused about is if I use the transformer with 2x 45v secondarys, can I parallel them together, and hook them to the bridge recifier? it is my understanding that this will double the current, but the voltage will remain the same, is that alright? Or is it better to use a single centretap output transformer, rated at 60v?

You can not parallel the secondaries, then you would only get a single supply voltage. You have to connect two leads of the secondaries together, that will be cone the GND, two other leads go to the bridge rectifier to get the +/- 60V after rectification.

Another option is to use two bridge rectifiers, one for each secondary and then connect the + output of one rectifier to the - of the other and use that point as the GND. The other unconnected + output will now have +60V or so while the other unconnected - will have -60V or so.

There are schematics out there in the various threads.

Best regards

Gertjan

Sorry still confused, Can't I just use one Hi Current Single Centertap 60v, 8.34amp, 500va transformer, hooked up to a single bridge rectifier, then parallel 2x 10000mh caps after the rectifier + a rc filter? Would that be a good way to power each channel? I want to use discrete power supplies for each channel, to make a dual mono design. Also what would be the dc voltage output be in the end?

Thanks,
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.