Amp for a speaker

Hi all,
I got a speaker that i want to modify. I want to pop the battery and an amplifier in it. Please could anyone help me what amplifier could run this speaker? Preferably bluetooth 5.0 if possible and I think It should be mono as well. The speaker is Identical like the one on the picture and woofer is 4ohm 50zt-1, mid is 8ohm 20 vt-5. I dont know what vt and zt mean tho.

Acoustic Reference SM-1000 3 Way Speakers Black High End Very good condition | eBay

Preferably I would like to buy something local (UK) if possible rather than wait from aliexpress, but if I have to order from ali thats not an issue.

If anyone can help or has a suggestion please post it.
Any help in this matter is appreciated

Hi Pechula. I had a quick look at old threads here dealing with bluetooth speakers, but could not get any wiser. I did however see that it is recommended that you use an amp with a seperate Bluetooth module instead of an amp with onboard BT. This gives more options. How much this complicates matters in terms of the supply of power, I don't know. If you know what to search for then Google is your friend. Here are some possible options from Amazon UK it seems.
Amps:
LM386 Super Mini Audio Power Amplifier Board Mono Audio AMP DC 3~12V Module Adjustable Volume : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science
sourcingmap LM386 Audio Amplifier Module 200 Times 5-12V 10K Adjustable Resistance : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Bluetooth (stereo) modules. You still need to get from stereo to a mono signal to feed the amp.
Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Receiver Module Board for Stereo Wireless Sound - PCB Circuit DIY Kit Digital Power Amplifier (VHM-314) - Hayatec: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Hope it helps.

BT modules are available, so are 2.0 and 2.1, even mono kits.
Simple, use one of the stereo out of the module to drive a mono 12 Volt amp.
Even one from old car radio will work.
Party speakers are one way these have been made. Some have a battery inside, read their sales descriptions for a better idea of what to do.

Find a mono one then...not available I think.
Practical, not stupid advice.
You are a six year old member, not new.
Simply search for mono amp modules with the battery voltage you intend to use.Bear in mind that the battery is going to be the most expensive part of the project, and also the charging system for that.

Hi all,
I got a speaker that i want to modify. I want to pop the battery and an amplifier in it. Please could anyone help me what amplifier could run this speaker? Preferably bluetooth 5.0 if possible and I think It should be mono as well. The speaker is Identical like the one on the picture and woofer is 4ohm 50zt-1, mid is 8ohm 20 vt-5. I dont know what vt and zt mean tho.
Preferably I would like to buy something local (UK) if possible rather than wait from aliexpress, but if I have to order from ali thats not an issue.

In that type of product I would straight order from Aliexpress and wait.

Just search for "Bluetooth amplifier board with battery" (I just did ;) ) and lots of options appear.

If possible, get battery and amp board from same seller, to save on shipping/hassle.

Rather than a "Stereo" module, search for one which can be bridged to Mono, so it both is mono (duh!) but more important, supplies *real* 15-20W RMS from a 12V battery.

Those claiming 50-100W per channel are sheer nonsense, of course.

If in doubt, find which Chipamp they use (they often mention it) and get its datasheet, to check *real* capabilities. :rolleyes:

As in:
Not sure how to figure the Watt output.
I understand what confused you, Ad mentions "0.5W-10W" :confused: :rolleyes: which is bollocks, at most this amp fits in the "0.5W-10W CATEGORY", completely different.

Misguiding Marketing? ... you bet :mad:

I use LM386 for decades now, long ago it was unique in its class, and we used it ... what else? ... but I am painfully aware of its very low power.

It was popular to make pocket (not kidding) Guitar amplifiers, fed from a 9V battery and sporting a "huge" 2" plastic cone speaker :eek:

It was often packed inside a cigarette pack, go figure :eek:

zinky-recycled-cigarette-pack-smokey-amp-2.jpg

Last edited:
The Yamaha YDA138 class D amps can be configured for mono; some boards use a pair of chips in mono to allow 4 ohm operation. Line level stereo from a Bluetooth receiver can be mixed to mono with a "Y" made from a couple of 10k (or so) resistors. Or, buy a pound store mono Bluetooth speaker, and it'll most likely have a mono Bluetooth receiver inside.