Few questions about constructing my first amp.

The amp is for 10inch reference sub. I have a active monitors and would like to filter some of the lower frequency that they receive and control the frequency of the sub independently.

1. Can I use a duel channel amp on a sub, can I just bridge the output? I was thinking about getting the shui yuan Audio TPA3255 2.0 Digital Amplifier board.

2. How do go about filtering the frequencies to all 3 speakers. Should I get some sort of DSP, or is there a good analog way of doing this on the cheap. Can dsp's even control 2 different sets of frequencies. What can you recommend?

3. Maybe there is some preamp I use for part of filtering, if not how does one control the volume on these boards? Do you control it changing the voltage?

4. Failing to find that much documentation on getting started. If you could point me some diagrams or learning resources that would be nice. Need some guidance to help me on my search, hope you can find some time to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

1. You can bridge an amp's output so long as its not already bridged. Typically a TPA3255 is already bridged as its max supply is only ~50V.

2. Filtering can be done analog or digital. The analog solution probably only needs a couple of dual opamps - one for high pass (for your active monitors), one for low pass (for your sub). Plenty cheap if you already have the power supplies. The tricky part is making the crossover frequency variable - if you need that then digital could be more attractive.

3. Can't really understand the question but yes, you change the voltage (amplitude) of your music signal to change its volume.

4. Linkwitz's website is good for info about active crossovers.

Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design

Joined 2011
You can just use one amp channel of a stereo amp. Short the input of the unused channel.
Or get a mono amp.

Some amp boards have an active line level analog crossover built-in, take a look.
That would be the least expensive way to go.

Last edited:
There are also class D amps with 2.1 output--meant for L+R and a sub. That's an easy way to start.

Also on the easy side, there are active crossover boards meant for this application, and crossover boards with amplifiers also built in. Just search "2.1 low pass filter board" for the former and "2.1 amplifier board" for the latter.

You'll need to add either a full DC power supply or a transformer depending on the unit.

I am sure there are more hi-fi solutions here on this site but I'm not sure what they are.

Thanks. Not sure out the 2.1 amp. My monitors are active. Most of those 2.1 boards only output 100w to sub as well.

What is a good way to short the 3 input pins? I still want to be able to use the ground on the other channel.

I need a simple active cross over board. Volume and Low pass. Have you seen any good ones are Ali?