What is next cheap amp after TPA3255 that is better?

IMO we are now at a point of diminishing returns when it comes to amplifier performance. Sound quality from a good TPA3255/51 would have cost thousands (retail) even 10yrs ago. I would rather spend time and money on other parts of the audio chain - preamp, speakers, digital source etc - to correct any perceived faults than on yet another amp. Especially as IMO and experience ClassD can be much more sensitive to component matching.

I think my chain is pretty good with digital all way and active crossover but I still what to try another amp for fun but it's must be cheap.
I hesitate to buy an $500 amp that don't sounds better.
But for an $100 I maybe try it out.

N-core NC-250

A friend of my who owns a small electronics company build one of these for evaluation. When I found out, he agree to let me bring my T/I Eval 3255 around for back to back comparison.

Cut to the chase the NC 250 blew the 3255 out of the water in every aspect.

However although he would not tell me what the NC250 amp cost to put together he did say it was over 3 x the cost of the 3255 Eval board.

I would definitely be happy to pay 3 x the cost of my amp to get that level of performance. So I am 1st on the list if he decides to sell it.

Cheers

A friend of my who owns a small electronics company build one of these for evaluation. When I found out, he agree to let me bring my T/I Eval 3255 around for back to back comparison.

However although he would not tell me what the NC250 amp cost to put together he did say it was over 3 x the cost of the 3255 Eval board.
I would definitely be happy to pay 3 x the cost of my amp to get that level of performance. So I am 1st on the list if he decides to sell it.

Cheers

The NC250MP you mean ?
The NC250MP is not so expansive... 120€ / module = 240€ for a pair
TPA3255 Eval board = 200 euros....

But something is sure, the NC252MP is a safe value for a fair price checkout, one of the best review I read )

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Hypex nCore NC252MP Amplifier (+ Subjective opinions around objective testing, and CES2020)

Its not so easy to get the modules themselves, but you can buy a completed NC250MP power amp for around $850 from Audiophonics, which seems to have a good rep:

AUDIOPHONICS HPA-S250NC Stereo Class D Amplifier NCore 2x250W 4 Ohm - Audiophonics

Or you can get it from VTV in the US, which I saw some complaints about their assembly quality, but its only $570:
VTV Stereo Amplifier based on Hypex NCore NC252MP | VTV Amplifier

So you can compare a Top end TPA3255 from Jlester VS the Hypex Ncore NC252MP (I own both by the way)

The fact is that the NC252MP is much more powerful.

Jlester TPA3255 measurements :

Jelester-Measures.jpg

Hypex Ncore NC252MP measurements :

NC252MP.jpg

After reading the data sheet , few things I learned about this chip

- direct replacement to TDA8954 with extra for PSE
- simple design , really small footprint and high efficiency
- heatsink with active cooling is definitely needed to achieve 400w
- not enough ampere to drive in hot temperature
- not able to parallel few chips to get higher power

To dust off this question as thread starter it is:
MA12070 chip.
Why?
It's cheap.
Is it better than TPA3255?
Not in power.
What is better then?
It's very even in frequency in channels L+R.
What does that mean?
Better cross talk.
Is that good?
If you like an better stereo separation and an holographic sound experience.
But all mesurements with that chip looks not good?
I know.
I still prefer it over TPA3255.
:)

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I have a Aiyima A08. Connect speakers, connect E30 DAC to RCA Inputs, no music playing, turn up the volume and start to hear (faintly) noise at around 9 o'clock, gets louder and nasty at around 1-2 o'clock. Is this normal? Same test on my Audiolab amp and it's dead silent all the way to max volume.
Are you using the original SMPS as sold with the A8? The one with that eh...beautiful blue LED I mean.

To dust off this question as thread starter it is:
MA12070 chip.
Why?
It's cheap.
Is it better than TPA3255?
Not in power.
What is better then?
It's very even in frequency in channels L+R.
What does that mean?
Better cross talk.
Is that good?
If you like an better stereo separation and an holographic sound experience.
But all mesurements with that chip looks not good?
I know.
I still prefer it over TPA3255.
:)
But which MA12070 amp? There are many.

I have tried and likes many class D chip amps but I highly recommend the following transformer fed kit by DIYA member Abraxalito transformer-fed-tda8932-25w-8r-mono-amp-kits.359193
It led to giving up a cost no object TSE-2 with custom monolith magnetics Amorph iron, Line magnetic 508i with upgraded internals and other amps.
Simple and amazing sound.

Hope it helps!
Yes I ordered that kit, stuck in customs right now, but it should be fun to compare.