What is next cheap amp after TPA3255 that is better?

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007

The case is the most ugly amplifier case I've ever seen - but that's just my personal taste. What's not a matter of taste or preference is, it's not shielded and the extremely long slots weaken the plywood, a single point pressure can break them fairly easily. If you leave material in the middle it becomes much stronger or even make it 3 smaller slots, it gets a lot stronger. The slots also are very inviting for things to fall in and these can be quite large.
The case doesn't have any shielding (except the PS), the air intake slots on one side of the PS is blocked, the low voltage wires go over the AC input contacts and the power switch and -cables. Also, the AC cables aren't secured secured, which means they can go out of the case, get caught by something and ripped out, even if the chance to that happening is very slim. All of the plugs are just mounted by small wood or tin screws, which can be pulled out easily, that can easily happen with the locking Speakon plugs, the cables can then make contact with the AC input.

That could easily be avoided by placing the Power input and the switch and its cables to the left side (much better visually too, but that's ofc just my taste) and turning the PS 180°. The can be much safer mounted if you use M screws, washers and the nuts secured with Loctite, superglue etc. The best thing of it is, the improvements are extremely cheap (except for the shielding).

Last edited:
Hi solve, you could try to improve the sound by checking your speaker position, toe in, listening position and all sorts of stuff before rolling amplifiers. Saw few things on your speaker build that could maybe affect the sound like the port location and tuning the xo only with axial response. You can upgrade your amps, but they are so good nowadays (unless something is wrong, distorting) that I doubt swapping amps will improve sound too much. It never hurts to have better amps though. Just to point out many things affect sound and power amp seem to be one of the least affecting. Anyway, it is all about having fun with the hobby!:)

Hi solve, you could try to improve the sound by checking your speaker position, toe in, listening position and all sorts of stuff before rolling amplifiers. Saw few things on your speaker build that could maybe affect the sound like the port location and tuning the xo only with axial response. You can upgrade your amps, but they are so good nowadays (unless something is wrong, distorting) that I doubt swapping amps will improve sound too much. It never hurts to have better amps though. Just to point out many things affect sound and power amp seem to be one of the least affecting. Anyway, it is all about having fun with the hobby!:)

Thanks but I'm pretty aware of all this things you mention. :)

I personally like it modular and don´t mind separate DSP- and amp-PCBs,
although something like a Zoudio with 4(+)-channels is very tempting.

Which Aliexpress modules are you talking about?

I have three sets of the Zoudio kits, low power but very good. Excellent if you want a small luggable set of speakers, or to make something for the kids.

I've been thinking about these for a bit...
Leicozic Amplifier Module 1500W + 400W + 400W Professional Power Amplificador Board Subwoofer Speaker Plate Class D Amps Digital|Stage Audio| - AliExpress

Well, I try to filter out the stuff that's completely unrealistic, and also apply a filter for what the spec sheet is bragging about. So if all the numbers are about half as good I'd be happy.

But now it seems Zoudio might (hopefully) come out with a solution to my problem, so I will wait for a while.
I have enough amplifier parts laying about, I've just become tired of all the soldering and troubleshooting since I do a lot of that for work. Nice to have a complete package with DSP + power amp in one.

Edit:
And the Hypex stuff is crazy expensive to import here, with the tax and shipping it adds up to a lot, better to buy a 4ch amp off the shelf.

Last edited:
Hi amigos,

I reviewed tons of amps here, Purifi, TPA3255 top end models, Hypex Ncore etc etc

I think I can say that the best amp I have tested in recent months is the Sabaj 20A, with the dual Merus chip checkout, fully balanced.

Dual Merus MA12070 Amplifier Sabaj A20 fully balanced : pictures inside ) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

This is the most musical of the class D amps, the only negative point that I could find is the break-in time. It takes a long time for it to polarize but afterwards it makes perfect sense) If we take into account its performance / price ratio, it crushes all the amps that I have been able to test here.

Video :

Sabaj test 1

IMG-20210511-190344.jpg

IMG-20210511-190351.jpg

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
And the Hypex stuff is crazy expensive to import here, with the tax and shipping it adds up to a lot, better to buy a 4ch amp off the shelf.

I don't know what's for others is a reasonable price but for 2x 75W and 1x 100W
(Hypex FusionAmp FA123) to pay 450€ or 580 (FA253 2 x 250 Wrms + 1 x 100 W or just two channels 500W/100W) is a lot too much, at least for me. I mean, for that money I can get a DSP and 2 Crown amps with more power and excellent sound or a 4 ch amp with integrated dsp.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hi amigos,

I reviewed tons of amps here, Purifi, TPA3255 top end models, Hypex Ncore etc etc

I think I can say that the best amp I have tested in recent months is the Sabaj 20A, with the dual Merus chip checkout, fully balanced.

[...]

This is the most musical of the class D amps, the only negative point that I could find is the break-in time. It takes a long time for it to polarize but afterwards it makes perfect sense) If we take into account its performance / price ratio, it crushes all the amps that I have been able to test here.

Thank you very much for posting the test and reply here. That little amp looks nice and the price seems to be reasonable. I'd prefer a non-fingerprint front :p but hey, you can't have everything. I've just seen it for 135$ with Cinch/RCA and with balanced input for 219$.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Sabaj A10a - one Infineon power chip
Sabaj A20a - two Infineon power chips

Thank you for the information. However, I already assumed that (because of the power) and the missing balanced input is a much bigger difference - which I wanted to point out. And I have another issue on which I need more information about and that is the cooling. Since the case has no air vents or a fan and the boards don't seem to be mounted to the case to use it for heat dissipation, I'm curious about how that is solved.

I don't know what's for others is a reasonable price but for 2x 75W and 1x 100W
(Hypex FusionAmp FA123) to pay 450€ or 580 (FA253 2 x 250 Wrms + 1 x 100 W or just two channels 500W/100W) is a lot too much, at least for me. I mean, for that money I can get a DSP and 2 Crown amps with more power and excellent sound or a 4 ch amp with integrated dsp.

That was part of the motivation for getting into the Pascal power amps and balanced DSP setup fed with a proper soundcard featuring a proper knob to adjust volume. Who needs a remote anyway.

If you're willing to pay the price of two Hypex 502 it is possible to get about the same quality and perhaps better, for less.
In my view I got better (chasing low noise levels) and paid about the same, so it's all good.
I use a different soundcard now than the one in the picture.

Edit:
Kjeldsen, yes, the mini T Amp I will probably order for my kids. Should be enough for most, and very cheap too!

Attachments

• IMG_20210522_131224_207.jpg
    IMG_20210522_131224_207.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 509