Which capacitor to use for DC arc suppression

Hi everyone,

For a while I have been using a 0.022uF X2 capacitor in series with a 20 Ohm resistor to suppress the arc and prolong the useful life of power switches and relays in my class D amplifiers (24-36VDC, 5-15A). I usually connect the said capacitor/resistor across the load.

However, lately I have been reading more about this topic and I now feel that 0.022uF might not be enough.

Would a 1-10uF be a better value to use? If not, then what would you suggest and why?

Thank you for the quick reply. I read that document before, but it is not very clear whether the formula in the document applies to AC, DC, or both. From what I have seen in vintage class A and AB amplifiers, very few designers (if any) used that formula. I typically see 0.047uF, 0.005uF, etc. ceramic capacitors across the power switch in older amplifiers.

While I was back in my country, I read a translated article from a European journal that claimed that one must use a 0.01-0.1uF capacitor across the DC power switch for arc suppression. Unfortunately, I cannot find that article anywhere now.

Your resistor/capacitor combo connected across the load will do nothing.
Perhaps you mean across the switch?
Both work - a snubber limits the max voltage of disconnect transient for inductive loads by providing an alternate route for current - it doesn't matter where that current goes, just that its able to go and thus reduce the dV/dt seen by the inductor.

Across the load is more logical and practical as the snubber is tuned to the load characteristics, and it ensures galvanic isolation when the switch is open.

For DC use a free-wheel diode may be a better choice, the arc can be fully suppressed, whereas an RC snubber is always a compromize. Free-wheel diodes have to go across the load.

I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that a 24V class D amplifier would already have lots of capacitance across the load for decoupling so a tiny bit more would make no difference. TBH I don't know anything about snubbers.
Switching 24V @ 15A - is this a high powered battery amp?

Mark Tillotson, thank you for suggesting to use a free-wheel diode. How do you feel about combining an RC snubber with a diode? An example can be seen here Relays Part 2 on Figure 4.2.

russc, thanks for the reply. No, I do not use batteries to power my amplifiers. I have a bunch of class D amps (dual TPA3116, TDA7498E, TPA3251, etc.) that I usually power with industrial SMPS power supplies.

Connecting your resistor/capacitor across the load will have no effect.
Maybe you're referring to the other side of the switch?
There should be little current to switch if you're switching off a quiet amp that's not at full volume.

Thanks for the reply. Could you please explain to me why would connecting an R/C snubber across the load have no effect? From what I am reading, it actually seems to be the preferred way of arc suppression compared to connecting the snubber across the switch/relay. Here are two sources:
* https://stevenengineering.com/Tech_Support/PDFs/38EARCS.pdf
* https://www.idec.com/language/english/AppNotes/Relays/contact_circuit_protection.pdf

Switch off the mains side. Why leave the power supply running?

It is more convenient for me to switch the DC side :)

The diodes in the switching power supply won’t last a long time if the mains are switched frequently, so it makes sense to switch the dc side.

My class d setup is left powered on, establishing a Bluetooth connection allows for sound, disconnecting it effectively shuts it off. Is used a few times a week when I exercise.

Both work - a snubber limits the max voltage of disconnect transient for inductive loads by providing an alternate route for current - it doesn't matter where that current goes, just that its able to go and thus reduce the dV/dt seen by the inductor.

Across the load is more logical and practical as the snubber is tuned to the load characteristics, and it ensures galvanic isolation when the switch is open.

For DC use a free-wheel diode may be a better choice, the arc can be fully suppressed, whereas an RC snubber is always a compromize. Free-wheel diodes have to go across the load.

Are there any disadvantages of placing a free-wheel diode across the load while, at the same time, placing an R/C snubber across the switch contacts?

A diode slows down disconnect if its a relay.
A Zener + diode is a better bet.

Okay, thanks. I will try a Zener/diode combination in parallel with the load together with an RC snubber across the relay/switch contacts.

MOV is good across mains, L to N
1K + 0.1/400V non polar as spike suppressor
Adjust voltage to suit.
Might work

Thanks!