Class D stereo amps and subwoofers

I don't use a sub woofer.
I tried one once (before I started using Class D amps) and didn't like it; it didn't integrate with my room & speakers at the time.
Then I built a pair of transmission line speakers that sounded fairly good.
Then I got a couple of Class D modules and my speakers really sing and have all the (quality) bass I need.
I guess sub woofer use depends on what you want.
Club sounds or movie earthquakes maybe.
Following Bass guitar or upright bass & hearing the notes rather than dum, dum, dum... probably not required.
YMMV.

With the smallest minidsp (2x4/HD) you could easily make a 2.1-system if that´s what you want.
Any of those amps you mention should have enough power for sub at home unless it is some crazy construction.
You could use any amp though. (also a stereo amp of which you only use 1 channel of course)

Just consider the typical "gain structure" as minidsp call it:
Ideally you would have your source feed into the minidsp and do the volume control afterwards which is not so easy to do. (because it´s more than two channels and needs more than just a stereo potentiometer)

I make the volume control before the minidsp and find it lacks dynamics and adds noise too. (which is why am looking into analogue crossovers)

And get the better one (HD) if you can afford it.

There are lots of options though and you can easily get lost.

zoudio (with integrated amps), freedsp, 3e-audio and lots of other DSP boards of which you can find many examples here in the forums.

It all depends on what you have and what you want to do with it.
If you have pre- and power-amp separately there are many other options to do it.

class D amp as a subwoofer amp?

Hi, many of the amps discussed here are stereo amps, such as Aiyima A04, Shui Yuan amp, etc. How do people typically use active subwoofers with these amps? Or do people not use subwoofers?

My situation is somewhat similar but more difficult. I like to have a pair of 3" fullrange with one subwoofer in 2.1 setup, used mainly as a desktop PC setup. I have several spare class D tripath amps but presently use one to drive fullrange speakers. On the active subwoofer (Onkyo SKW200) there is no crossover control dial (but set at 150Hz permanently) but does have a bass volume control. It has no speaker binding terminals but only a LFE line input (RCA-red).

Can I use one class D amp to drive pair of fullrange and subwoofer?, How would I diy a cable from speaker output on D amp to RCA input on sub if possible. Or can I use another class D amp to drive the sub only?

Attachments

• 2021-07-23-193233.jpg
    2021-07-23-193233.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
>How would I diy a cable from speaker output on D amp to RCA input on sub if possible?

Something like a 10K from each + terminal on the class d amp to a single node. A 10 uf cap from there to a 1K, to the amp powersupply negative - not the "-" speaker terminal. Take the signal across the 1K to your powered sub RCA input, + on the cap end of the 1K.