Cheapest, good SQ and easy to get CLASS D around 80W@8ohm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

What you would say its the cheapest, good SQ and easy to get (and implement) class D amp?

I am looking for around 70W-80W@8ohm, ideally powered by an SMPS power supply.

I am inclined to believe the TPA3255 check´s all the boxes, but I hope to hear from you.

Cheers

"easy to get" depends heavily on where you're located, but if 70-80W@8ohm is all you need, 3e Audio SY-DAP1002 wins my vote hands down. It is sold for € 73,19 including the built-in smps at:
TPA3250 Bluetooth 5.0 with DSP Integrated Power Supply All in One HiFi Amplifier|Amplifier| - AliExpress (The delivery is far from overnight delivery on amazon purchases, but it's worth waiting for. Delivery time also depends on the process time at the customs.)

I had 3255 amps before, and sound quality is better on TPA3250 to my ears (can be easily further improved by changing the OpAmp to OPA1656), and is far better if you mod it as described here:
3e Audio TPA3250D2 (SY-DAP1002) Mods & DSP Tuning
`

Depends on if you like a module or finished amp.
I have the Aiyima A04 which is nice and good quality but at 32V only about 60W max. I wouldn´t go any higher as the capacitors are rated 35V.
Aiyima A07 or the offerings from 3e-audio are an option and I would tend to the latter if you want a finished amp. (see Yibas post)
@48V the TPA3255 theoretically deliver peaks of 125W.

If you don´t mind paying extra and sorting out the case etc. yourself, there is still the evaluation module from TI. It can theoretically deliver peaks of >150W into 8Ohms but costs about 170€ or so.
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/TPA3255EVM?qs=LuYMPh7GGMSrW5R3E5EiSw==

Another evaluation module from TI but only 60W. Cost: 49$:
TPA3220EVM-MICRO Evaluation board | TI.com

Got really good results with the last Dual Mono TPA3221
This one is nowhere near 70W/8Ohm and at the recommended 16V its actually only about a good 20W.

Last edited:
Thank for you replies.

By cheap I mean around USD$75-80 for a stereo module. Obviously It can go a little higher,

Also, I was looking for only the "finished board" without the case or volume pot, as my idea is use this amp for active 3 way speakers.

My reference is the HypeX Fusion AMP FA122 for USD$384 for a fully finished amp with power supply, DSP, etc.

I´m not sure you get these Hypex modules separately as private person.
Audiophonics and other DIY stores sell amplifiers made with these modules:
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S125NC RCA Stereo Class D Power Amplifier NCore 2x125W 4 Ohm - Audiophonics

Buying modules from 3e-audio would definitely be cheaper.
There are a number of people who used them in active setups:
3-way with 3e Audio DSP, TPA3251 and TPA3255

A Meanwell 36V SMPS and you´re done.

That said, I haven´t used them myself but heard only good things.
Look around here some more before you decide.

Do you have a crossover already?
The amp modules go into a case or into the speaker?

The Hypex NC252MP performs really better than the TPA3255
But for a budget amp = OK

https://ibb.co/mqgcVrb

you should compare with same type amp or product other than mixing them on you table,otherwise people getting confuse.

there is no double that TPA32xx performance is amazing regarding it's size and integration design.
with PFFB performance is improve and similar to Hypex one.

Attachments

• SINAD-5W.JPG
    SINAD-5W.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 296
  • SINAD-5W-36v.JPG
    SINAD-5W-36v.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 346
you should compare with same type amp or product other than mixing them on you table,otherwise people getting confuse.

there is no double that TPA32xx performance is amazing regarding it's size and integration design.

Not doubt about the TPA3255 chip. By the way I am looking forward to get the new Allo. As you probably know I own almost all the TPA325X, including the top end ones (Jlester / Drmodor). I also own your 3E Audio finished amp and modules.

Regarding the PFFB, there is already a long debate ... I invite you to read what Jlester said in the appropriate thread.

What surprises me about 3E Audio is that you highlight the interest of the PFFB but the option is not present when buying the module...:confused:

You should read this anyway :

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Hypex nCore NC252MP Amplifier (+ Subjective opinions around objective testing, and CES2020)

Any news on availability or development on future boards?

Not doubt about the TPA3255 chip. By the way I am looking forward to get the new Allo. As you probably know I own almost all the TPA325X, including the top end ones (Jlester / Drmodor). I also own your 3E Audio finished amp and modules.

Regarding the PFFB, there is already a long debate ... I invite you to read what Jlester said in the appropriate thread.

What surprises me about 3E Audio is that you highlight the interest of the PFFB but the option is not present when buying the module...:confused:

You should read this anyway :

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: Hypex nCore NC252MP Amplifier (+ Subjective opinions around objective testing, and CES2020)

How does the "generic" ones compare to the top end ones? Also, any opinion on those 4 channels / 8 channels 3155 amps available in Aliexpress?

I can locally get Meanwell LRS-350-36 for around USD$55 Is it enough for a 4 channel amp? Or restricted to 2 channel.

Last edited:
I can locally get Meanwell LRS-350-36 for around USD$55 Is it enough for a 4 channel amp? Or restricted to 2 channel.
That´s plenty for a 4-channel amp.
With most TPA3255 modules you could go up to 48V but that also raises quiescent dissipation considerably.

With 36V you have about 70W (1% THD max.) and 80W (10% THD max.).
The LRS-350-36 can also be dialed up to 39.6V output voltage which equates to 90W (1% THD max.) and 110W (10% THD max.).
Mind you these are peak values and most modules will not sustain those power levels on a permanent base due to limited heatsinks.

Pretty much all class-D amps nowadays have very good distortion figures. I mean far beyond audible! That said every amp has a characteristic sound and they will differ in that regard.

How does the "generic" ones compare to the top end ones? Also, any opinion on those 4 channels / 8 channels 3155 amps available in Aliexpress?

It is not so easy to answer but you can find is ASR the review of The Aiyima A07 amp (TPA3255) and the review on the 3E Audio Finished amp as well.

Now, to give you an idea, some measurements :

JLESTER TPA3255 :
THD+N 5W , 1Khz : 0.0016
THD+N 10W / 8R , 20-20Khz : 0.003
5W 8Ω: 0.0007 THD
10W 8Ω: 0.0008 THD
5W 4Ω: 0.0012 THD
10W 4Ω: 0.0014 THD
Sinad 5W / 4R : 95

ALLO TPA3255 (to be confirmed) :
THD+N 5W , 1Khz 0.00014
THD+N 100W 20-20Khz 0.0097
THD+N 10W 20-20Khz 0.0091
SNR : about 117DB

XRK Audio :
THD+N 5W , 1Khz : 0.00578%
THD : 25W, 1khz : 0.0017%
THD + N : 25W, 1khz : 0.0037%
THD 10W / 8R : 0.0012% THD
Sinad 5W / 4R : 85

Aiyima A07 :
THD+N 5W , 1Khz : 0.007
Sinad 5W / 4R : 83

3E Audio Finished
THD+N 5W , 1Khz : 0.008
Sinad 5W / 4R : 81

Thanks for that info!

Has anyone heard the Wondom / Sure Gremlin AA-AB32313 ??

WONDOM AA-AB32313 GREMLIN Amplifier Board STA516B & TC2001 T-AMP Class D 2 x 400 Watts 3 Ohms 48V - Audiophonics

Price wise it can compete with 3255, and it has a big fanbase here.

I have owned the Gremlin 400w for a few years.I sold my Gremlin.

I now have the Shui yuan Audio TPA3255, and it's superior in every way. I am waiting for OPA1692 OPs, as recommended by Daniboun. The fake NE5532 stock OPs aren't very good, but they're already good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.