How much power can I get?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old AB amplifier, don’t like the sound, its not valuable and it’s out of the rotation. It does have a massive transformer and 64v at the rails. How much power can I get out of a stereo pair of mono class d modules with dsp (subwoofer) 500 watts per channel into 8? 2 ohm stable?...module/design suggestions? General suggestions? Thanks

There’s a few like this at parts-express, seems to come close to the right specs but doesn’t look very robust, what class d designs like to run at 60v+ and produce 500+ (relatively low distortion) watts?

Sure Electronics AA-BK31394 1x1,000W Class D Audio Amplifier Brick DBKL1 - T-AMP

Only experience with class d is a triad subwoofer amp, I think it’s an ice module, sounds fine but suppose to be 250 watt mono amp but sounds and feels like about 100 watts.

That amp module is single supply; you want one that supports the dual rail supply you have.

Also, when you say you measured 64V, was that from a rail to ground (+/-64V supply), or from the positive to negative rail (+/-32V supply)?

I would take FauxFrench's suggestion and just get a cheap IRS2092 board to play around with. At $25 you won't feel bad if you kill it... Components Mono Channel Amplifier Board Digital IRS2092S 500W High Power D HIFI | eBay

Obligatory "caveat emptor" when buying cheap Chinese goods. Have a look at this thread for a potential serious issue and how to fix it... Fixing [and preventing] a fried Zobel network

It’s a +/-64v supply, your right the eBay modules are cheap enough to experiment, I will read up on the zobel network issue. I thought this might be a sweet spot for class d, I’m kind surprised there aren’t more class d devices which can make use of a high voltage linear supply. I will move forward with the cheap eBay experiment.

Current I am running a pair dvc 12” with 4 ohm coils, my adcom 555 ii drives them amazing at 2ohm stereo (no 2 ohm rating but maybe 500w per channel into 2 ohms?) but I’m pretty fond of the adcom and don’t want to abuse it. Currently they are powered by 4 channels of pirated high end denon avr amplifier section. Makes about 125w per coil into 4 ohms. I am looking to equal or improve on the adcom’s output with class d modules.

I have an old AB amplifier, don’t like the sound, its not valuable and it’s out of the rotation. It does have a massive transformer and 64v at the rails. How much power can I get out of a stereo pair of mono class d modules with dsp (subwoofer) 500 watts per channel into 8? 2 ohm stable?...module/design suggestions? General suggestions? Thanks

The simple answer: You will never get more power then the voltage will alow. It dosn't matter what class amp it is.
And if you dubble up on the power, you only gain 3db SPL.

It’s a +/-64v supply, your right the eBay modules are cheap enough to experiment, I will read up on the zobel network issue. I thought this might be a sweet spot for class d, I’m kind surprised there aren’t more class d devices which can make use of a high voltage linear supply. I will move forward with the cheap eBay experiment.

Current I am running a pair dvc 12” with 4 ohm coils, my adcom 555 ii drives them amazing at 2ohm stereo (no 2 ohm rating but maybe 500w per channel into 2 ohms?) but I’m pretty fond of the adcom and don’t want to abuse it. Currently they are powered by 4 channels of pirated high end denon avr amplifier section. Makes about 125w per coil into 4 ohms. I am looking to equal or improve on the adcom’s output with class d modules.

You need to also consider the VA rating of the transformer. Voltage alone will not tell you how much power it can supply. You can guesstimate this by its dimensions and comparing that with know specs of other similar transformers.

Your Adcom amp has a massive 1500VA transformer. It is rated at 850W 4-Ohms mono, which would be 425W at 2-Ohms stereo. You don't need a VA rating so much higher than the amp power output when using Class-D though due to its efficiency.

Too bad I'm sure you're nowhere near me. I have an amp I built almost 12 years ago and never used it beyond testing after I was done. Just built it to build it since I had the parts. It has two slightly modded IRAUDAMP1 RevB boards that are fed differential signals by a small circuit using 1x LM4562/2x OPA1632 to bridge them mono (no bus pumping). Power supply filtering is done by 160 Panasonic FC 63V 820uF caps (32,800uF per rail/65,600uF per channel).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.