Shui Yuan Audio TPA3255 Modification Thread

Hello,

This is my first post in DIY audio.

I have ordered TPA3255 and waiting for delivery from China.

I have a speaker protection boards and I am not sure how I can connect it to the AMP.

Input and output is marked properly in the speaker protection board but ground is not marked. Right now I am testing the speaker protection board with a 5.1 TPA3116 board which crates a big pop sound when I switch on the amp.
JPEG_20210618_213032_7051704000696414462.jpg JPEG_20210618_213257_2049374610082694955.jpg JPEG_20210618_213359_4769910119244230688.jpg

Long time overdue! But I got the pins and boards and new opamps. It did make a slight difference in opening up the soundstage and giving it a rounder sound signature, but not very much. I think I like the TPA3221 board I got recently better.
Will try with bigger smps and more on board capacitance as well, but that will likely be later in the year as travel and other things will give me little time for tinkering... :/
Thank you kind people for being awesome! :)

Hello,

This is my first post in DIY audio.

I have ordered TPA3255 and waiting for delivery from China.

I have a speaker protection boards and I am not sure how I can connect it to the AMP.

Input and output is marked properly in the speaker protection board but ground is not marked. Right now I am testing the speaker protection board with a 5.1 TPA3116 board which crates a big pop sound when I switch on the amp.
View attachment 960790 View attachment 960792 View attachment 960793

TPA3255 and TPA3116 have their own speaker protection features.
Adding another module will only add more complexity. Not to mention your audio signal passing though a relay

TPA3255:
Clipping, Short circuit, DC speaker protection, under voltage, over current
It is also no pop at turn on or turn off.
Check the datasheet
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3255.pdf
Thank you Hofmann,

I am using this 6 channel amp and speaker protuction board as a stopgap measure till I review my TPA3255 amp. The speaker protuction board was faulty so I replaced it. I can hear a very loud pop when I switch on the TPA3116 amp and that is why I am using the speaker protection board. In my case I am using each chanel for 1 driver and crossover is done using Dayton DSP 408. Speaker protection is a must for this amp as my tweetes are connected directly to the amp.

Would you suggest using a slow start module instead of speaker protection to avoid the pop sound. I am using MEANWELL LSR 350-24 smps.

I use a mean well 48v power supply adjusted down to 42v for my 3e TPA3255 with no speaker protection module. I have no noise whatsoever at power on or power off.

I accidentally shorted the right outputs once, heard an ungodly noise coming from the left speaker, and nothing from the right. I turned the power off thinking I've blown up my favorite amp, but when I turned it back on again everything was fine. I do have a capacitor on my tweeters and if I ever go for a dsp solution, I think I would still add a cap to the tweeters for protection.

TPA3116 is different, turn on pop with this amp is a common phenomenon. I believe there are some mods you can do to engage mute on the chip for a few seconds after powering on.

I use a mean well 48v power supply adjusted down to 42v for my 3e TPA3255 with no speaker protection module. I have no noise whatsoever at power on or power off.

I accidentally shorted the right outputs once, heard an ungodly noise coming from the left speaker, and nothing from the right. I turned the power off thinking I've blown up my favorite amp, but when I turned it back on again everything was fine. I do have a capacitor on my tweeters and if I ever go for a dsp solution, I think I would still add a cap to the tweeters for protection.

TPA3116 is different, turn on pop with this amp is a common phenomenon. I believe there are some mods you can do to engage mute on the chip for a few seconds after powering on.
How is the performance of MEANWELL LSR 350-48, do I need it for TPA3255 or increasing the voltage of my MEANWELL LSR 350-24 will do.

I have an odered for this amp. I can also get a 48 volt 600 wats llc powersuply locally for the same price. Will this amp overheat with a 48-600 llc smps. Hbbefec97837a464bb729eff4a660b5e7N.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

Thanks Denbret,

I will try this. I am from India, and specifically Bangalore. Allo's has its factory in Bangalore. Any idea when their TPA3255 is getting released. How is it compared to Hanzao TPA3255.

Daniboun compared the Shui Yuan to the Hanzao, according to him the Hanzao is superior in bass and midrange. Buying a new one is the Hanzao that I would buy.

No idea of ​​the release date for the Allo PCB

Does someone have the schematics of the used single ended audio input to balanced TPA3255 input? Is it possible to increase the gain of that circuit to increase the input voltage to the amplifier IC? I measured the amplitude of the NE5532's outputs and could see ~3V maximum in amplitude. If I did the math correctly I need 2.91V RMS input to the TPA3255 to get 150W output at 8 ohms (21.5dB Vout/Vin). This results in an amplitude of 4.12V. So my input signal is too low to come near the 150W rated output power.

Hi Photobugs ( and others..)

The class D chips from T.I. have a complete set of protections for the amp and the speakers built into the very chip.
So if you have any popping sounds when switching on or off the first thing you have to do is make sure where that is comimg from.
Ground the inputs of the amp and see if there is pops or not. If not then your pops are fed to the amps by something that comes before them .
Normally these class D amps have a pop protection built in so if the board is well designed there should not be any pops .

Hi,

So you can compare VS the Shui Yuan :

Just got my new TPA3255 by HanZao.
This module is pretty unknown so I wanted to test it )

Out of the Box the module comes with the below components :

- 8000uf Rubycon YXF serie Low ESR / 50V
- Buffer caps, Rubycon YXF serie as well
- FIlm caps (MKP) Wurth
- SE Input (using Micro JST connector 2.0)
- DIP 8 OP Amps 5532 (updated with OPA1656)

Need to make a listening test before comparing vs others...
But sounds good at the moment. No Pop sound ON / OFF.

The module is really well protected : Yesterday I was tired and I mounted the power supply in the wrong way and the same for the OP amps... The module has automatically put itself in protection mode.
The Micro JST 2.0 connector is not practical for the SE input but I connected it with a JST 2.54 which is more conventional.

The amp :

- Full alu case
- HanZao TPA3255 module
- 350W LLC PSU / 36V / 9.5A
- OPA1656
- Alps volume pot
- PET Cooper Cables
- AC Filter

Next step : updating Buffer caps.... If I have time )
Hello. Where did you buy the Hanzao board? I don't think there is on Aliexpress ...