Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Shui Yuan Audio TPA3255 Modification Thread
Shui Yuan Audio TPA3255 Modification Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 4th March 2021, 05:23 PM   #81
mamocel is online now mamocel  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Vendée in power
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincepgh View Post
1st of all: my main speakers are floor standing Focal Electra - should I ask someone to insure the cost of these guys for any amp's failure?

2nd: I removed "gold" capacitors and took a picture with original Nichicon caps that I bought on Mouser.

3rd: same for the opamps

4th: seems like TPA3255 IC soldered by hands and not so good. White substance feels like caulk!

Please dont hesitate to guess, which opamps are original
You took 0.47 uF capacitors ... the original ones are 10uF ... You risk losing in the reproduction of the bass...
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2021, 09:24 PM   #82
vincepgh is offline vincepgh  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamocel View Post
You took 0.47 uF capacitors ... the original ones are 10uF ... You risk losing in the reproduction of the bass...
Cool, you catch the difference! I put .47uF to compare with Chinese caps, not going to install those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniboun View Post
Hi,

Thanks for sharing pictures.
It is obvious that the welds are done manually ... Regarding the thermal paste, it seems a bit messy (I imagine, however, that having disassembled the heatsink must have spread it).

Did you give a try with the new caps finally ?
I suppose if you unsoldered the Nichicon FW from the buffer it is because you had a doubt about their authenticity? And the same goes for the OP amps since you seem to replace them with the same 5532 ...

keep us informed when you have tested the module with the new assembled components to know if there is any better?
Let me explain:
1. White substance is NOT thermal paste. It's kind of caulk to keep TPA IC in place or so.
2. The opamps were NOT original, compare to sourced at Mouser.
3. I'll try to figure out what's wrong with my board and keep results posted.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2021, 10:22 PM   #83
Mello4 is offline Mello4  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincepgh View Post
....White substance is NOT thermal paste. It's kind of caulk to keep TPA IC in place or so.....

The White substance looks a little like RTV Silicone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (102.3 KB, 342 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 02:31 AM   #84
vincepgh is offline vincepgh  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mello4 View Post
The White substance looks a little like RTV Silicone
Right. My point is what's reason to use it? Heatsink uses the screws to hold in place, TPA chip should be soldered etc.
The other picture of the amps boards doesn't have signs of this adhesive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 03:46 AM   #85
Mello4 is offline Mello4  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincepgh View Post
Right. My point is what's reason to use it? Heatsink uses the screws to hold in place, TPA chip should be soldered etc.
The other picture of the amps boards doesn't have signs of this adhesive.
Its common to put this adhesive around SMPS components to keep them from moving around. Often these products are shipped in a container on boat for a few weeks & they get shaken a lot. The Mfr does not want anything coming loose or breaking a solder joint.

See this tear down of a Siglent SDS2000 series oscillocope. There is goop on the SMPS components: EEVblog #1309 – Siglent SDS2000X Plus Scope Teardown+Hack – EEVblog

Also Apple TV circuit board: White glue on circuit board


Siglent SMPS, below....
Sig1.JPG

Sig2.JPG
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 07:36 AM   #86
daniboun is offline daniboun  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Lyon (France)
That's right, it is also the case for all Pascal UMAC modules :

Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 08:33 AM   #87
irribeo is online now irribeo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Click the image to open in full size. and the tpa325x icepowers too, but caps and coils tend to vibrate, some posters here use BluTack on their ampboards
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 09:26 PM   #88
vincepgh is offline vincepgh  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mello4 View Post
Its common to put this adhesive around SMPS components to keep them from moving around. Often these products are shipped in a container on boat for a few weeks & they get shaken a lot. The Mfr does not want anything coming loose or breaking a solder joint.

See this tear down of a Siglent SDS2000 series oscillocope. There is goop on the SMPS components: EEVblog #1309 – Siglent SDS2000X Plus Scope Teardown+Hack – EEVblog

Also Apple TV circuit board: White glue on circuit board


Siglent SMPS, below....
Attachment 928655

Attachment 928656
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniboun View Post
That's right, it is also the case for all Pascal UMAC modules :
Guys, are you serious?!
all pictures simply show caulk on trough-hole components instead of tiny SMD chip on mine photo. The reason to use the caulk/adhesive/whatever - to fix big chunky part in place and/or additional HV protection. However, I'm not PCB design professional like each other in this discussion, I just have some engineering background.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 12:50 AM   #89
Mello4 is offline Mello4  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincepgh View Post
Guys, are you serious?!
all pictures simply show caulk on trough-hole components instead of tiny SMD chip on mine photo. The reason to use the caulk/adhesive/whatever - to fix big chunky part in place and/or additional HV protection. However, I'm not PCB design professional like each other in this discussion, I just have some engineering background.

This silicone was under the bolted down heat sink? Does it wobble, when bolted down on this board?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2021, 09:19 AM   #90
bushellj is offline bushellj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chudleigh, Devon
There is no silicon on the board I purchased as seen by the photo.

It is quite clear these boards are assembled by hand. They don’t appear to have gone through a solder flow machine. Even the SMD components and the main TPA3255 chip appears to be hand soldered.

So I am guessing there may be a little gang of people assembling these boards and each will do it in their own way.

It appears your board may have the spacer washer also “glued” in place with the silicon. Maybe this was to ensure the heat sink didn’t short out the SMD components under it. There does appear to be quite a lot of solder on some components. Probably just a quick fix !!

So for we have 9 pages of comments and some other non-relevant stuff on this thread but very little about Sound Quality and Upgrades !!

Still waiting for my order for upgrade components from Mouser to arrive - They ship everything from the US so it takes time !! Also some of the Electrolytic’s I ordered were out of stock so still not going to be able to upgrade as I intended until these parts arrive.
.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A6FDE048-7F52-4482-BFB3-B76602645D5A.jpg (1,008.2 KB, 243 views)
__________________
Aiyima A04 and A07, 3e-Audio DAP1002 and 2 Channel Board, KEF Q10 Speakers.
I provide PA equipment for Charities and local Clubs and Societies for their meetings inc. ChudFest.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Shui Yuan Audio TPA3255 Modification ThreadHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
yuan jing internet store audiofan Vendor's Bazaar 12 12th December 2016 06:46 AM
yuan jing tpa3116d2 gain control twomix Class D 2 24th September 2015 09:14 PM
Very simple Yuan Jing build (noob questions) hollowboy Class D 5 10th September 2015 01:01 AM
Yuan Jing 6n3 tube preamp power requirements and options JonesySA Analog Line Level 3 22nd November 2014 08:49 PM
Yuan-Jing TDA7492 50W+50W Amplifier cervelorider Swap Meet 0 25th March 2014 12:27 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:58 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2021 diyAudio
Wiki