TPA3116 2.1 channel without subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a TPA3116 2.1 channel amplifier. The feature set suits me, and I was just going to use it without a subwoofer. Then I remembered that TPA3116 should not be operated without all channels connected.

Am I sort of screwed? There must be many people who bought these 2.1 amps without connecting subs to them right?

:violin: gotta try the violin

A 2.1 board should have two TPA3116 chips on it, with one chip having low-pass input filters for the sub channel. If you're never going to hook up a sub, it probably won't matter if the undriven chip overheats/goes into protection.

But, others here should know better than me.

I just bought a TPA3116 2.1 channel amplifier. The feature set suits me, and I was just going to use it without a subwoofer. Then I remembered that TPA3116 should not be operated without all channels connected.

Am I sort of screwed? There must be many people who bought these 2.1 amps without connecting subs to them right?

:violin: gotta try the violin

I'm using a 5.1 channel 3116 board but with a powered sub so I'm driving the 3116 sub channel with no load.
The other channel is just fine. What is expected to happen with no load? I don't see anything about no load in
the datasheet.

A 2.1 board should have two TPA3116 chips on it, with one chip having low-pass input filters for the sub channel. If you're never going to hook up a sub, it probably won't matter if the undriven chip overheats/goes into protection.

But, others here should know better than me.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those low-pass/high-pass filters. Hopefully it doesn't have a high-pass filter otherwise I'll have no bass without a sub at all :eek: You never know with these cheap amps.

But yes, I am considering to run it without a sub anyway and just let it die...

All my unloaded channels are still alive. A microchip, pretty smart. Even with my malicious experiments (short-circuiting the output with a screwdriver with a spark, etc.), many chips burned out, many are still alive. If you are concerned about the unloaded outputs, load them with a 1000 ohm resistor.

All my unloaded channels are still alive. A microchip, pretty smart. Even with my malicious experiments (short-circuiting the output with a screwdriver with a spark, etc.), many chips burned out, many are still alive. If you are concerned about the unloaded outputs, load them with a 1000 ohm resistor.

Thanks for your comment. That's a confidence booster. I obtained my board and it has a background noise, possibly a low quality board, but I might try the 1000 ohm resistor to see if that helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.