Class D beginner, where to start?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Reference Design

I'm not sure there is a "reference design" for anything. By the time something becomes a "reference design" it is obsolete.

If you go to www.schematicsforfree.mattsoft.net make sure you click on the "File Index" link and not the individual folder links. I have been unable to upload a fix to the site for an as yet unknown reason.

In the audio circuits section, there is an area dedicated to Class-D amplifiers.

tell me if I'm wrond, but from what I've understood (I've real all the threads from the search), UCD isn't a ready to use IC, but a topology (that no IC seems to use for now)

I'd like to build something simple, National's class d amp is nice. It uses one chip with an audio input, and a "mosfet" output. The second chip is a mosfet bridge.
I'm looking for something like that (but with more power). If the bridge is made of discrete mosfets that's no problem. I just don't want to have to deal with the integrator, the comparator, the feedback and such things

phase_accurate said:
There's a new chip by philips (TDA.... something), that contains comparator, drivers and powerstage. With this one it should be possible to build a minimalistic UCD maybe.
What does Bruno think about this ?

Regards

Charles

do you remember the "something" ?

Jaka Racman said:

Hi,

then your best bet would be something like that. You get real McCoy UcD for 60 Euro IIRC.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman

I'm looking for something quick n cheap. 60€ (+S&H) *2, plus transformer, plus caps, plus filter....

:bawling:

I'm now seriously thinking about usung National's chip, even if it's not as powerful as I would like. For the momment that's the closer I found, from quick n cheap

Hi,

if there was a "cheap, quick and dirty" way of doing class D, you would see more of it. Here is the link for TDA... , but you would need to do PCB for it. I will not say that P2P approach is not possible, but you would have to know exactly what are you doing, which are the loops that must be keep tight, how to implement proper grounding, etc. You will also learn that switching circuits have a very fragile barrier for Magic Smoke which is enchanted into components during manufacture to make them work. IMHO 60 Euro is cheap for ready made module, which is guaranted to work. Power supply costs will be the same whatever path you take.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman

Hi,

I think you should read Bruno's comments on the chip in the UcD Mueta thread. Maybe it would be possible to use both halves paralelled in dual supply configuration and make UcD type amplifier with built in comparator. Another approach would be to use single supply and one of the TI small filterless class D chips as modulator and TDA as power output stage.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.