More than 1Kw...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ICE Power amplifiers

For those of you unable to do a search at google, here is the URL

http://www.powerhouse.bang-olufsen.com/sw1022.asp

I must admit I have an advantage. I had dinner with the chief designer at the Audio Engineering Society convention last fall in New York City and he paid. Actually, I have been getting sampled on all their new products for some time and have been dealing with the whole ICE Power group for several years.

See my products using their products at www.rh.com. The PM series amplifiers in our ST series speakers are 100% class-d amplification using these modules.

I just tested the 1000ASP last week. Its bloody awesome. Burst power to 1244W RMS with no additional heatsinking needed. It can pump out 1 solid 1020W of music all day long. THD+N in the .02% region. The S/N was -95db unweighted to 30KHz and when I turned on the A weighting filter like I should have, the noise level was unreadable. And my APb can read to better than -140db.

The only thing I can't do is tell you where to buy them. That you'll have to find yourself.

Dan

Danyele82 said:

With a toroidal trasformer of about 1,5kva (1 for channel) the version with 20 mos can draw 1,5kw rms?

All I know is what the website says.

It has a power rating of 550 watts into 8 Ohms and 1050 watts into 4 Ohms. It requires a massive 2 KW Torodial transformer supplying a idle voltage of +-98VDC.

http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/1kwamp.htm

I believe in the archives there is talk about bridging
two regular AV800 using 75v rails to get closer to 1kw @ 8 ohm.

Dan Fraser

See my products using their products at www.rh.com. The PM series amplifiers in our ST series speakers are 100% class-d amplification using these modules.

Does that mean that you are not using D2AUDIO?

AUSTIN (Texas) – April 6, 2004 - - - D2Audio announced today that Renkus-Heinz, a technology leader in high quality commercial and professional sound, is the first to use D2Audio’s intelligent digital amplifiers in steerable column speakers. The small size and extraordinary sound quality of D2Audio’s powerful digital amp make it a natural fit for Renkus-Heinz’ ultra slim, line array speakers.

Another question is if you use the asp modules as they come, or if you do some modifications, see also tweakaudio.

Wilfried

Does it seem plausible to make 2 1k (into 4 ohms) aussie amps and bridge them? aren't we talking near 3.5k (4k of toroidals?)

*** EDIT ***

3.5 k into 4 ohms obviously... would it cope bridged at 4 ohms?

Bridging is suppose to give you the theoretical 4x power increase
but is not usually the case because the power supply is not
regulated.

If you take the AV800-1KW and bridge two for ~1KW @ 8 ohm,
maybe you can drive more power into 4 ohms if you use
a bigger transformer and you use giant heatsinks. /hehe

Generalizing;
If you play test tones at 4 ohm bridged, this will create more
burden on any amplifier than just playing music. Music won't
be continous and in reality it may work. It depends on if the
load is drawing alot of power. Suppose you bridged two AV800's
and used it to drive horns and midrange speakers, this situation
will not be as problematic as driving a subwoofer. Midrange
drivers won't consume all that power and horns will consume
even less. There is less stress on the amplifier at 4 ohms bridged.
But if you were to drive a subwoofer array, this will place more
burden on the amplifier.

I have a home amplifier that is only rated for 600 watts into
8 ohms, but I'm able to operate it with a 1 ohm load driving
tweeter arrays because the tweeters are not consuming high
power. /hehe I benefit from the headroom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.