Recommend a 30watts to 50watts budget amplifier

Hi,
I need a stereo amp of around 30watts per channel at 8ohms (it could be 50watts also)

I remember more than a decade ago people talked a lot about the T-AMP and some friends recommended it to me.
It was really cheap but performed well.

As a lot of years have passed, probably there's a lot of better choices than the T-Amp nowadays .
I would like to ask you what do you advise as a budget Class-D amp?
Something that I could buy from Ebay ou Aliexpress

I'm not looking for a Kit, I would like to buy an already assembled unit.

Thank you so much

Aiyima a04 tpa3251 is VERY good .

I have two of them, - better, cleaner sound than my three klass A/B poweramps, two of them with lm3886 and Crown xli 1500.

I also have two 3116 D2 amplifiers with modifications made. They also sound very good.

Attachments

• 253FDDC7-08C5-428D-9E1E-D854835ED3FF.jpeg
    253FDDC7-08C5-428D-9E1E-D854835ED3FF.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 455
  • 820797DB-E565-4259-A4BD-B599BC183805.jpeg
    820797DB-E565-4259-A4BD-B599BC183805.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Strange thing is that Watts rating change with the DC Voltage used.At what voltage are you running your Amp?
Hi Whoops,

That's not strange, it's physics, Voltage x Amps = Watt.
I select the Voltage I use to the speakers I want to power.

At the moment my amp is running on a 12V 5A laptop powersupply driving a pair of 4 Ohm speakers.
I can go up to 24V, making the amp play louder, but the range on the volume control gets smaller; meaning it gets (too) loud very quick with just a small movement of the volume control.
For your 8 Ohm speakers, I'd get the 24V powersupply.

While the Aiyima A04 TPA3251 gets good reviews, it comes without a powersupply, which makes it less 'budget', unless you have a spare laptop power supply lying around...

Regards, Jan.

Last edited:
Hi Jan

you wrote:
I can go up to 24V, making the amp play louder, but the range on the volume control gets smaller; meaning it gets (too) loud very quick with just a small movement of the volume control.

This is the gain of the amplifier and has nothing to do with the supply voltage. with higher gain you will run faster to the maximum top of the amplifiers power - supply voltage.
normally chinese amps are using a gain of 30dB and more to give the feeling that it has super power. but its just the gain...
more gain means more noise floor - so its a good idea to change the gain lower , e.g. 20dB

chris

Hi Chris,

I explained poorly what I mean...
How far you have to turn up the volume control to get the same output, differs with the Voltage used.
For example: to get a certain listening volume on 12V requires the volume knob to be at let's say, the 12 o'clock position.
To get the same volume when using 24V, the volume knob only has to be a the 10 o'clock position.

This reduces the range the knob has to travel, making fine adjustments harder at 24V compared to 12V.

Regards, Jan.

Aiyima a04 tpa3251 is VERY good .

I have two of them, - better, cleaner sound than my three klass A/B poweramps, two of them with lm3886 and Crown xli 1500.

Those are rated at 175W,
they dont specify it but I guess it's 175w at 4ohms, what do you think?

So that will be 87w at 8ohms am I correct?

Maybe that a bit high for my needs, the speakers are around 20w at 8ohms

Thanks

Do any of you guys have any experience with SMSL amplifiers?
So you just raised the budget?

Reason I ask, is that their smallest amp is 'only' 2x 20W, specifically mentioned for use in near field listening (like left and right of your computer screen).
Not sure it'll work in a larger room when sitting further away from the speakers.
I'm currently listening to this 2 x 20W amp: https://www.amazon.ca/Qianson-TDA7377-Channel-Circuit-Amplifier/dp/B01K1U5L9S while sitting at my computer.
It sounds really good, but that's with the aid of my subwoofer under the desk, powered by it's 200W D Class amp...
And the volume is at the 12 o'clock position, hence my apprehension for a larger room.

Regards, Jan.