Purifi EVAL1 Ghent case build instruction

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I have however been here many times reading a lot about how to build my nCore mono amplifiers a few years back and also on how to build a stereo Purifi EVAL1 amplifier very recently.

However, I was not able to find a clear step-by-step instruction on how to build a stereo Purifi EVAL1 amp. So I created an instruction myself. I figured it would be nice to share it here as many like me would try to find such an instruction here.

I used the Ghent Audio stereo Purifi case kit, Ghent Audio harness, Hypex SMPS1200A400 and the Purifi EVAL1 module.

Hopefully you like my step-by-step guide. If you have suggestions or find errors, please let me know. Thanks!

Link: iCloud

BR,
Richard

I'm doing the same project but it goes into protection

Hi Richard, hi everybody - I've just assembled the same kit arrived today from Ghentaudio but when I turn it on, the amplifier start clicking as if goes into protection.

I tried unplugging the main cable to Purifi, the ones that brings the power and the SMPS1200 turns on the led.

If I connect back the plug to the purifi module the amp goes into protection.

Any idea what could be?

Thanks a lot

Hi Daniel,

I just replied to your PM. My best guess is that you made a mistake in step 6 of the build instruction and you did not put the SMPS1200 in unregulated mode. Maybe you changed the jumpers incorrectly?

Please let us know if it works after checking this.

BR,
Richard

Quick update from my end on the performance of the Purifi amp: it sounds awesome! It sounds smooth, detailed, musical and dynamic. I love it.

My current setup:

AudioQuest Niagara 1200 • Cambridge Audio CXC • JKE Hifi Plasma Grade Digital • Mac Mini i7 Roon Server • Blue Jeans Cable Cat 6A • Pink Faun LAN noise isolator • Naim Uniti Atom • AudioQuest Earth RCA-XLR • Purifi EVAL1 • Atlas Hyper 3.5 • Dynaudio Contour S 3.4 LE • IsoAcoustics Gaia II isolators • ArtSpeak power cables • TIDAL

Nice! On a scale 1-10 10 being most difficult how much of a challenge was this to put together?

Well, if you can read English and if you follow the instructions carefully, I would rate it 2-3 out of 10. It is really easy to do.

Re the SpeakOn connections, same thought here. That is why I did not even connect them. If you do want to connect them, you need to solder them to the EVAL board, which would bring the rating to a 7-8 as it requires the right equipment and good soldering skills.

BR,
Richard

Super easy to make your own SpeakOn cable, but there are also standard banana jacks.

Like Ricard said, the SpeakOns are not connected to the board and require soldering. The banana jacks are ready to go.

Also agree on degree of difficulty, 2ish.

The only caution would be the fact that you're dealing with live mains voltage inside the case. Make sure you deal with the ground correctly and keep the mains away from the signal.

Yesterday, Daniele informed me that he got the amp working. :cool:

Unfortunately there was something wrong in the cable wiring ordered from Ghent Audio. So please make sure to check the wiring as it should match the pictures in the build instruction. Luckily Daniele checked and corrected this with positive outcome.

BR,
Richard

Hi Richard, hi everybody - I've just assembled the same kit arrived today from Ghentaudio but when I turn it on, the amplifier start clicking as if goes into protection.

I tried unplugging the main cable to Purifi, the ones that brings the power and the SMPS1200 turns on the led.

If I connect back the plug to the purifi module the amp goes into protection.

Any idea what could be?

Thanks a lot