Synq 3K6 fed with 20hz DC squarewave: said poff!

Well, I bought broken Synq Digit 3K6. The previous owner used it for electronic-research in some way. Someone accidentally fed it with 20hz squarewave when it was connected to a load as following: 10ohm @ 20Khz and 50Mohm @ DC. It said "poff!"... :D

Now, I like to fix things. So I've come to the conclusions:
1. PSU are shorted somewhere, I'll try to measure the semiconductors today.The fuse in the house trips when trying to start the amp.
2. Right sided amp module have shorted semiconductors for sure, measured dead. Both Mosfets and rectifier diodes.
3. PWM modules from amp PCB's are ok! Not sure about the PWM module on the PSU.

I have in fact two of these amps, one is working. So I can try some components by changing them in between.

My questions:
What are the most likely broken components I should look for? If the semiconductors are shorted, should I look for something else in particular that might as well have been "poffed"?

Service manual and schematics:
Synq 3K6 service manual - Google Drive

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, this seem to be a very common way to kill these amps! The power really needs to be stable for them to work correctly. Have you noticed any changes that can be made for them to be more durable? I've read that one can change Q1 and Q2 transistor to make the PSU a bit more stable...

If I buy an adjustable transformer and use it, can I even give it power at all before the fuse in the house trips? I would understand this approach if the PSU where functional, but now I can't even start the amp.

I have found out that the first two big capacitors are shorted on the PSU though, would it be an idea to just change these and try again, or are there likely more components that need to be changed?

Thanks for your answer!

Shortet capacitors ? Did they blow up or crack Up ? If not, solder them out and check them single again. If you try to find out the problem by using a variac and you say output amp mosfets are already broken. I would disconnect the amplifier modules from capacitor bank. Replace alle broken fuses. Connect the amp to the variac while measure the current. I have a cheap chinese 500W Variac. In Case of the short circuit it soon will start to buzz even at Low voltages. You now can Look for warm or hot parts. Best is a ir camera, because some parts are Not easy to Touch for temperature check. Keep in mind that the variac has no disconnection to main power like a Transformer with primary and secondary coil windings.
If all defective parts in psu are located and replaced. The psu pwm circuit start to work from around 70-80V ac

Previous owner told me it said "Poff!". :D But everything looks good at least, no blown/swollen caps, bad smell or burned components.

I'll resolder and remeasure the components I've measured to be "shorted". I know some components get weird measures while placed on the PCB, thanks for the tip though!

Great information about your work. I've actually seen your videos before and ordered the updated Q1 and Q2 mosfets to change them on my other fully functional amp before it breaks down as well. I've understood it as these parts are the main issue when giving these amps unstable power, if so it's an easy fix for them to become more stable?

The Variac seem to be a great tool, but are there any alternatives? I don't know how much I'll use it if I buy one. It's a bit of a one trick pony right? Meanwhile, here's a list of my measured (diode mode) components still on PCB, if it's saying something:

PSU:
D1 measure 512, 528
D3 measure 0.0
D31-34 measure 377
Q1-Q6 measure 0.0
E3 measure 0.0
E5-E6 measure 0.0
E1-E2 measure 1.0
E19-23 measure 1.0
E24-E28 measure 1.0
E8, E9, E29 measure 1.0

Amp-modules:
D7, D8 measures 0.0 on right module, 407 on left module
Q21, Q24 measures 0.0 on right module, 407 on left module

Last edited:
This amplifier, I assume powersoft clone, uses a trick for MOSFET commutation, for low loss in old MOSFET, that only works for audio-like signals and loads. The circuit will suffer a lot when the load demands high current at low voltage.

Incidentally, the trick in essence looks like attaching the 2nd PFC MOSFET with 10cm wires to the PCB, electrical resistance is not substantially different, but the rate at which the current flow builds up is dramatically different.

This amplifier, I assume powersoft clone, uses a trick for MOSFET commutation, for low loss in old MOSFET, that only works for audio-like signals and loads. The circuit will suffer a lot when the load demands high current at low voltage.

Incidentally, the trick in essence looks like attaching the 2nd PFC MOSFET with 10cm wires to the PCB, electrical resistance is not substantially different, but the rate at which the current flow builds up is dramatically different.

Very interesting, this would explain a lot why these amps failure at low voltages when driven hard. So your last line would be a solution to this problem if I understand you correct? A VERY simple solution in that case! 10cm wires to G, D and S?

Or are you meaning that the trick are used already by design?

Update!

I've been desoldering some components now and the electrolytes seem to be ok all of them! The blue disc caps though, four of four desoldered are dead. Interesting! I'll continue desolder disk caps and measure them. They are after all cheap to change so that's on the good side.

Mosfets and diodes will also be desoldered of course..

Second update:

PSU:
Blue disc caps are probably ok, just hard to measure with my instruments.

D3 are shorted, NFE48G U1560 KA
Q3 and Q5 are shorted, IXFH44N50P TS1817 S23984
The rest seem okay!

Since I've desoldered all the mosfets and the diode, does anyone have an idea about what's good to replace them with? I've read about these mosfets regarding this specific amplifier:
IRFP460PBF and IXTQ36N50P

Any input?

Amp-module:
D7 and D8 are shorted, BYC8-600 PJA1827 D5 4163
Q21 and Q24 are shorted, K60N30 CE8P1Y

Any inputs on replacement components for these?

Hi, I'm working for that brand to design new product. I can help if you want.
Cheers,
Sabry

Nice to hear!

I would be more than happy if you could give me any hints about what component might be suitable to replace the broken once with! Do you have any idea? Is there even components that could alter the design a bit and make it more stable since the original once are hard to find?

I'm looking for suitable replacement for:

NFE48G U1560 KA

IXFH44N50P TS1817 S23984

BYC8-600 PJA1827 D5 4163

K60N30 CE8P1Y

Last edited:
I didn't design it but I can ask the schematic to the repair department. I'll upload it as soon as I get it

Thanks but I actually already got the service manual and schematic which even got examples of components which are better to upgrade to, but they are now obsolete unfortunately. Can you ask for suitable updated alternatives to the ones I listed maybe? I think several users would be happy to know since this amp has been a bit problematic as I’ve understood it. Big thanks for your support, it’s the way to go and make customers happy!

Disabled Account
Joined 2005

Why expensive amplifier use very old mosfet? :D
Also old circuitry

complete circuit is rubbish not worth to fix anything

assembled from small workshops, branded and imported

most of this small factorys not exist anymore

with copy cat engieniers, for quick money

and 500V Mosfet ,..... I can lol

Last edited:
hi
can someone help me with Part number for IC9 on synq 3k6 please

Maybe a bit late but I've identified it as LNK306PN. If it's placed on the PSU board?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-24 at 15.28.56.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-24 at 15.28.56.png
    141.8 KB · Views: 582