Aiyima TPA3251 Modification Build Thread!

Hi Nerone,

No problem... I suggest you try to find resistors with low tolerance (make that 1% or less) and low ppm (variation with heat amongst other things also due to current variatons through it).

A shop should know what tolerances and ppm mean and assist you if needed.

Good luck

Claude

Thank you ! Nothing supernatural you know. With Claude, we decided to go for horizontal bi-amping. Both amps are tweaked as he described throughout this thread. Add some other external elements to drive them: filters, 'superpot', pot... And finally the assembly in the casing, with imagination, tricks, patience and care. DIY they said !
Have a try, step by step, and enjoy :)

Hi Lilolee,

Responding on Gilles behalf, probably easier...

No, we didn't implement PO89ZB, these boards are different. Mark's SMPS filter is not suited for high current appications, and although we probably don't need a high current PS with the high efficiency speakers we currently run, especialy considering we have 2 filters (one in front of each poweramp), we decided to play safe and also future compatibility with other LS that may really need the power of the 2 Aiyima amps.

Therfore, we used a filter of my own. It is also a RLC filter, but only one stage instead of 2 in Mark's case, and twice the current rating of PO89ZB. Fc is also very different; much lower, to compensate somewhat for the single stage. Admittely L is also damped for its critical frequency, protection diode is in, so general layout is indeed very close to say one half of Mark's filter.

Gilles has 2 of these home made filters, on in front of each of his poweramp.

I hope this helps

Claude

Hi Lilolee,

Responding on Gilles behalf, probably easier...

No, we didn't implement PO89ZB, these boards are different. Mark's SMPS filter is not suited for high current appications, and although we probably don't need a high current PS with the high efficiency speakers we currently run, especialy considering we have 2 filters (one in front of each poweramp), we decided to play safe and also future compatibility with other LS that may really need the power of the 2 Aiyima amps.

Therfore, we used a filter of my own. It is also a RLC filter, but only one stage instead of 2 in Mark's case, and twice the current rating of PO89ZB. Fc is also very different; much lower, to compensate somewhat for the single stage. Admittely L is also damped for its critical frequency, protection diode is in, so general layout is indeed very close to say one half of Mark's filter.

Gilles has 2 of these home made filters, on in front of each of his poweramp.

I hope this helps

Claude
hello, could you point me towards someone or a list of parts i can buy? i am trying to do these mods but do not have the time to read through every page! i just need to know the values im not interested in bypassing the op amps or external power supply. but everything else i would like to do. is there a list somewhere? thanks

Have you got a BOM for this please?
vNr60R2.jpg

Sorry guys, there is no summary of my mods: there are posts as there was a benefit understanding what is behind and what choice to make. There was a list of mods initialy, but that may need to be updated. Also, there might be other upgrades, I haven't started this thread and there are other posters.

No time for this as I moved on, but if you don't want to read it all (which I can understand), why don't you use the advanced search function and look at my posts in this thread? Dead easy,far less to read and all infos inclusive parts used and why are inside.

Have fun

Claude

The latest project. Amplifier 2.1 class D. Front AIYIMA A04 TPA3251. Subwoofer L15D-SMD. It remains to buy potentiometer knobs.

Attachments

• FOTO-001.jpg
    FOTO-001.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 735
  • FOTO-005.jpg
    FOTO-005.jpg
    949.7 KB · Views: 747
  • FOTO-002.jpg
    FOTO-002.jpg
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 751
  • FOTO-003.jpg
    FOTO-003.jpg
    973.6 KB · Views: 728
  • FOTO-004.jpg
    FOTO-004.jpg
    985.3 KB · Views: 642
Hi guys.
I bought some time ago a second unit. This one is not as good. It hasn't the power the fist one has. I've took out the thermal bracket and there was paste on the pins. After cleaning it, it has more power but not as much as the first one I bought. There is a big difference is power.
What can be the difference? I have changed the opas. The sound is better but the power is the same.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_104405.jpg
    IMG_20210620_104405.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_20210620_103033.jpg
    IMG_20210620_103033.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20210620_090838.jpg
    IMG_20210620_090838.jpg
    844.9 KB · Views: 268
I don't know what they might have changed during production, but the first thing is to dertermine whereas you are really down on power... or if it just gain sructure discussion (when the pot is in the same position, less volume, but that doesn't say you can't push it to max, it acts just as an offset so to speak off at your user level).

The 04 has with its AOPs in front of the power chip a balancing stage. It is not as recommended by TI's paper, as it also has a gain of 2 (and not 1). Perhaps they found out... That means different resistors and possibly getting rid of one cap, but I doubt they went that far in savings (?). If the "problem" is that, then you don't lose any max power unless you are playing the volume at max level and bottoming your pot, it is just the gain structure is different (and probably a tad better re sonics)

Good luck

Claude