Can i use 2x mono ICEpower 500ASP as 1 bridged 1000w+ amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Sorry my ignorance and lack of technical grasp.

I have 2 mono ICEpower500ASP amplifiers, and I have DSP capabilities (to flip signal's phase I presume).

So... is it possible to use these 2x mono amps into one 1000w+ mono?

I would feed one mono 0º signal to one amp, and one mono 180º signal to the other amp. Subwoofer would be connected:

+ to 0º amp (positive terminal)
- to 180º amp (positive terminal)

Looking forward to your replies!

Cheers

I guess IF somebody is naïve enough to try and use a car subwoofer at home he *might* need the kW amp to drive it.

A "crazy" 1kW amp driving an 80dB/W speaker is same as a "reasonable" 100W one driving a 90dB/W one.

Speaking from personal experience: I commercially make Musical Instrument amplifiers for 50 years now, have sold over 14 thousand of them.

My old breadwinner since forever is a 100W Bass head, driving a 2 x 12" cabinet, size 61 x 61 x 29 cm, it easily cuts through the noise, Bass is heard loud and clear.
Only problem is it "just" fits most car trunks and in a few subcompacts it has to ride in the back seat
It can easily be used besides a drummer (which uses a very loud instrument)

Lately customers have been buying lightweight brick sized 350W Class D amps, and to match, driving very small (speakers just fit in) single 12" or 15" cabinets, a few a single 10" which I find ludicrous.

Common complaint is that they can *barely* keep up with the drummer, if at all, often commenting "I should have bought a 500W one".

On the other side, a friend plays a 2 x 6L6 50W Fender Bassman head, driving a fridge sized 2 x 15" cabinet, and is often told to lower "excessive" volume.

The point being that electrical power is but *one* of significant parameters.

I guess IF somebody is naïve enough to try and use a car subwoofer at home he *might* need the kW amp to drive it.

A "crazy" 1kW amp driving an 80dB/W speaker is same as a "reasonable" 100W one driving a 90dB/W one.

Speaking from personal experience: I commercially make Musical Instrument amplifiers for 50 years now, have sold over 14 thousand of them.

My old breadwinner since forever is a 100W Bass head, driving a 2 x 12" cabinet, size 61 x 61 x 29 cm, it easily cuts through the noise, Bass is heard loud and clear.
Only problem is it "just" fits most car trunks and in a few subcompacts it has to ride in the back seat
It can easily be used besides a drummer (which uses a very loud instrument)

Lately customers have been buying lightweight brick sized 350W Class D amps, and to match, driving very small (speakers just fit in) single 12" or 15" cabinets, a few a single 10" which I find ludicrous.

Common complaint is that they can *barely* keep up with the drummer, if at all, often commenting "I should have bought a 500W one".

On the other side, a friend plays a 2 x 6L6 50W Fender Bassman head, driving a fridge sized 2 x 15" cabinet, and is often told to lower "excessive" volume.

The point being that electrical power is but *one* of significant parameters.

I agree with you.

My SW are home theater ones and not very efficient (Dayton Ultimax UM15) around 86db and I run them sealed, that's why I think I need lot's of power to drive them and to hit low (LT chews power like crazy), even thou I hear low/medium volumes all the time. Also, power is cheap enough compared to size. I live in an apartment and certainly cant't fit a 8cu. ft. subwoofer, so I am limited to 4cu. ft.,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.