Allo volt+d custom powersupply, and am questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!
I've just bought the Volt+d, and will be using it with my B&O RL60.2(so far so good).

I'm not the biggest fan of the translucent case it comes in, and would rather make a nice wooden/brass box to fit it inside. I'm also considering making an on/off switch, and put in a nice toroidal ring transformer I have salvaged from some quality gear, which both have a 12v and 24v output.

My question is, could I connect the transformer right to the amp, or should I put anything in between ?

Would a toroidal transformer be better or worse than a laptop power supply?

Should I shield the amp from the transformer ?

And finally, how would I know which settings I should use for the AM bandwidth avoidance circuit..

I am in the same boat, I should be seeing an Allo Volt+ delivered by UPS some time next week. I have an old 19V laptop PSU I can start with.

But I am wondering if there’s a point in building a linear PSU for it. I am thinking unregulated power, toroidal transformer followed by a bridge rectifier and caps. Has anyone down that?

Another question that has come to mind, does this puppy require any speaker protection? Will it produce pops and crackles on turning it on?

Thanks,
Adi

Xqzme and oodi, while linear power supplies, especially in capacitor bank form, appear to be flavour-of-the-month for "premium" class D amplifier builds, please be mindful that ALLO recommends a good quality SMPS for their Volt+ and Volt+D amplifiers - for this very reason ALLO included a capacitance multiplier on the Volt+. On the Volt+D there are two cap multipliers.

If you insist on using a cap-bank power supply with a Volt+, it might (?) actually be best to bypass the Volt+'s cap multiplier - and the best place to ask about this is on the Allo support forum -
Allo - Audiophile Style

I have tested various TPA3118/3116 amps over the last few years and if I had a Volt+ I would simply use the Allo-recommended 19V 60W SMPS -
19V Power Supply

If you like the idea of making a nice case for your Volt+, certainly the SMPS can be mounted inside the case for neatness.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.