Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Mono Class D Guitar Power Amp
Mono Class D Guitar Power Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2020, 09:32 AM   #1
jimcroisdale is offline jimcroisdale
diyAudio Member

Default Mono Class D Guitar Power Amp

Hi all,

My next project (as an amateur "premade module connector") is a guitar power amplifer designed to take a signal from a preamp or a chain of pedals etc.

These are becoming ever more popular as more and more people are using modelling preamps etc to get their sound, and then just need a compact no frills power amp to power the speakers.

So, my idea is to connect one of these:

DC 24V Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply LED Strip for Printer CCTV | eBay

... to one of these:

60W TPA3118 Digital Amplifier Board AMP DC 10&24V Module PBTL Mono VVP ul | eBay

... and also use one of these:

Male Power Socket Fused Rocker Switch IEC320 C14 Inlet Useful #NP | eBay

Can anyone see any potential issues so far?

If not, my only question is how to add a passive volume control to the input of the amplifier (or to adjust the gain of the circuit?), so that there's some adjustment if the devices connected before it are too loud, and to give a "soft start" on powerup to avoid any unwanted bangs. I'll be mounting it all in an aluminium stomp box type enclosure.

I welcome your comments!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 13th August 2020, 10:43 AM   #2
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Should work ion principle, only doubt is that since its a "deaf" device power supply: Led lights, printers, etc. , DC out may be noisy.

Might be usable, for the price Id buy one and try it, if it works, it works.

But Id keep searching a little more and get one rated for Audio use.

I meant plainn old Audio, not "Audiophile" which is something completely different (as in 10X the price for no good reason).

If the cheap one works fine, please tell us here, you will help others.

You can testb everything before packaging, just connect everything on a table and try it.

Plase post a good close up picture of the power amp, the link shows nothing useful.
Old 13th August 2020, 10:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

To be honest, I'm wondering if I should just skip the built-in PSU and go with a laptop adapter like all the other "power amp pedals" do. The enclosure will need to be bigger (more expensive) to house it so it may end up being more expensive than the competition just to build.

Do you think a piece of kit that has a proper built in PSU rather than using a wall wart is a real advantage?
Old 13th August 2020, 11:18 AM   #4
bucks bunny is offline bucks bunny  Germany
diyAudio Member

I do not think this is a good idea. I experienced flaws on integrated smps as most audiodesigners are mediocre smps designers. Take an off the shelf laptop smps from a renowned brand and there are no problems to be expected.
Old 13th August 2020, 11:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you look at the link I posted, I wasnt planning on building it myself either way. The choice is either an off-the-shelf SMPS built in to the amplifier case, or a separate laptop style PSU.

Mono Class D Guitar Power AmpHide this!Advertise here!