TPA3116D2 - Protection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
More bass than what? What are you currently using as an amp?

At 24V bridged mono mode into 4 ohms you'll only get 72W max sinewave power. The headline figures should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Speaker protection is your decision really. If the speakers cost more than the protection module, its worth considering.

Definitely yes.

Point1) Less heat of Sub-woofer channel and sound fidelity will be better.
Point2) High Frequency Response be flatten at Low Impedance Loading.

you can see more modification recipes in my web page article.
[Machine Translation Link] Google 翻訳
[Direct Link] Destop 2.1 channel Amprefire Modificationl

This amp has some minor errors in design, but can be easily solved by inserting voltage regulator instead of RC filter for supply of the NE5532.
Also this amp can deliver 100W on 2 ohm bas speaker, the TPA3116 for bass speaker isn't in bridge mode, but in mono parallel mode (read data sheet of the TPA).
So if you want 100W output on bass output you will have to have 2 ohm speaker, or two 4 ohm speakers connected in parallel. L and R speakers should be 4 ohm speakers. With 24V power supply it will deliver what is written. AMP is designed according the datasheet for TPA3116D2 but with implemented high & low active filter.
It sounds very good.

Btw, one of the best things you can do with any of these differential input class-d chips - use an input transformer. Monacor LTR110 or something from Lundahl, Neutrik, etc. 1:1 600Ohm:600Ohm.
Get rid of any opamp and directly couple the secondary transformer side using the recommended DC-blocking capacitor to the inputs.
Doing so, you'll improve EMI, Turn On/Off plops, etc.

Btw, one of the best things you can do with any of these differential input class-d chips - use an input transformer. Monacor LTR110 or something from Lundahl, Neutrik, etc. 1:1 600Ohm:600Ohm.
Get rid of any opamp and directly couple the secondary transformer side using the recommended DC-blocking capacitor to the inputs.
Doing so, you'll improve EMI, Turn On/Off plops, etc.

This amp has some minor errors in design, but can be easily solved by inserting voltage regulator instead of RC filter for supply of the NE5532.
Also this amp can deliver 100W on 2 ohm bas speaker, the TPA3116 for bass speaker isn't in bridge mode, but in mono parallel mode (read data sheet of the TPA).
So if you want 100W output on bass output you will have to have 2 ohm speaker, or two 4 ohm speakers connected in parallel. L and R speakers should be 4 ohm speakers. With 24V power supply it will deliver what is written. AMP is designed according the datasheet for TPA3116D2 but with implemented high & low active filter.
It sounds very good.

Very nice information.I'll think on that.Never hear such a thing....

The boards that I have enjoyed have been Bluetooth 5.0, with digital volume, and a digital equalizer built in to accommodate different speakers etc.
After reading through some of the incredibly long and repetitive threads on the tpa3116 boards, I noticed that often the ones that have issues with hissing and humming have been those that have op amps on board, volume pots, or share their power supply/grounds with the external source.

They are not available now I noticed, hopefully will be again soon.
When searching using images, I’ll find the one, but when I go to look at it, the sites display other unrelated products.
I believe that the tpa3116 will perform best with a minimum of inductive, noisy circuits in front of it, was intended to be used in integrated applications.

Attachments

• 5BDF81E3-58F2-42B5-8E02-BC91DA83BB82.jpg
    5BDF81E3-58F2-42B5-8E02-BC91DA83BB82.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 162
ok I did test with this board 2.1.
Power supply 19V/4.7A sounds really good.Also I removed the C40 Cap on subwoofer channel.& the Heat on the SUB side inductors reduced.Quality also improved.

I did not changed the sattelite side inductors because I'm unable to find 10uH torodial inductors.I have to order from a supplier.

I did not changed the sattelite side inductors because I'm unable to find 10uH torodial inductors.I have to order from a supplier.

Hi Joseph-San,
I will recommend "Metal-Alloy Core" inductor instead of "Toroidal-Core"
The reason why is Magnetic Saturation risk, if the core size is not enough for every case (includes Hi-Current short accident) the inductance will be lost forever. (Something like the core-memory) Magnetized core keeps stay very outside of B-H curve.

Last edited:
Hi Joseph-San,
I will recommend "Metal-Alloy Core" inductor instead of "Toroidal-Core"
The reason why is Magnetic Saturation risk, if the core size is not enough for every case (includes Hi-Current short accident) the inductance will be lost forever. (Something like the core-memory) Magnetized core keeps stay very outside of B-H curve.

Good info I'll try to find that type ones.I have only farnell supplier.

I noticed below points in my testings.

1) You need a bit higher output source.Some cheap chinese single chip mp3/radio kits,Mobile phones source is not enough to this amp.You need some type of a high output source (Line output).

2) My inductors getting hot (Sattelite Sides), I dont know the value of factory installed ones.Since my sattelites are 8 ohms. Do I still need 10uH inductors?

3)Can I solve the popup noise by adding an audio transformer (As mentioned by weissi) to this AMPs Pre-Amp input? Without modifying the circuit?

4)Out of topic.If I properly set up the speakers & the circuit is this amp better than JBL soundbar 2.1 or 3.1? Because I planned to buy that JBL thing before making this...!!!

Hi Joseph1-San,

I checked Farnell web page. They are selling many kinds of Power inductors. Such as ...
https://export.farnell.com/w/c/pass...ach|cuttape&sort=P_PRICE&rms-current-irms-=na

Pick-up the parts which has a possible dimensions to install is the 1st constraint.
XH-M139's sub-woofer channel can drive 100W into 2ohms, thus means 7A RMS max. current (=10A peak Current)
Satellite channels are 50W into 4ohms, thus equals 3.6A RMS (=5A peak current) Those are minimum specs for ordinary operation, no over-loads.

The TPA3116 is ALWAYS in bridge mode. Paralleling the 2 channels allows operation to 2 ohms. Normal linear
Voltage gain amplifiers can only be paralleled under special conditions unless you LIKE smoke from the amp. All
the TPA series amps can be paralleled. The TPA3255 can even be configured as 4 separate amps though for what
they cost I don't see why one would bother. DigiKey price $8.93 quantity 1.

Agreed on the sound of the 3116. I've been using them for my 5.1 TV system for a few years and no complaints
at all.

I have a 6 channel TPA3116 board for the 5.1 but also included preamp out for the sub. I'm using a Polk PSW-10 which I
got new for $88 AND free shipping back in 2018. I couldn't pass up that deal. The TPA sub channel is driven but connected
to nothing. The PSW is not connected as 'auto on'. It's powered on with the system but on a 1 second delay as the inrush of
the SMPS for the TPA amp causes a thump in the sub. The delay got rid of the thump. BTW there are no turn on or off quirks
of any variety for the TPA amps and the sub. It just politely starts to play after an intentional 5 second delay.

Last edited:
I have a 6 channel TPA3116 board for the 5.1 but also included preamp out for the sub. I'm using a Polk PSW-10 which I
got new for $88 AND free shipping back in 2018. I couldn't pass up that deal. The TPA sub channel is driven but connected
to nothing. The PSW is not connected as 'auto on'. It's powered on with the system but on a 1 second delay as the inrush of
the SMPS for the TPA amp causes a thump in the sub. The delay got rid of the thump. BTW there are no turn on or off quirks
of any variety for the TPA amps and the sub. It just politely starts to play after an intentional 5 second delay.

Can you show me your 6 channel board link..!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.