Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3116D2 - Protection
TPA3116D2 - Protection
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2020, 05:15 PM   #11
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

They are not available now I noticed, hopefully will be again soon.
When searching using images, Iíll find the one, but when I go to look at it, the sites display other unrelated products.
I believe that the tpa3116 will perform best with a minimum of inductive, noisy circuits in front of it, was intended to be used in integrated applications.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5BDF81E3-58F2-42B5-8E02-BC91DA83BB82.jpg (98.0 KB, 85 views)
Old 6th August 2020, 01:47 AM   #12
Joseph1 is offline Joseph1  Sri Lanka
diyAudio Member

ok I did test with this board 2.1.
Power supply 19V/4.7A sounds really good.Also I removed the C40 Cap on subwoofer channel.& the Heat on the SUB side inductors reduced.Quality also improved.

I did not changed the sattelite side inductors because I'm unable to find 10uH torodial inductors.I have to order from a supplier.
Old 6th August 2020, 02:02 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I'm using this speakers as my sattelites.
Dolby Atmos speakers w/brackets, Electronics, Audio on Carousell

Is this matches to TPA3116D2? speakers are 8 ohms.

Now All I need is a subwoofer...!!
Old 6th August 2020, 08:47 AM   #14
CyberPit is offline CyberPit  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1 View Post
I did not changed the sattelite side inductors because I'm unable to find 10uH torodial inductors.I have to order from a supplier.
Hi Joseph-San,
I will recommend "Metal-Alloy Core" inductor instead of "Toroidal-Core"
The reason why is Magnetic Saturation risk, if the core size is not enough for every case (includes Hi-Current short accident) the inductance will be lost forever. (Something like the core-memory) Magnetized core keeps stay very outside of B-H curve.

Last edited by CyberPit; 6th August 2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 6th August 2020, 03:24 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPit View Post
Hi Joseph-San,
I will recommend "Metal-Alloy Core" inductor instead of "Toroidal-Core"
The reason why is Magnetic Saturation risk, if the core size is not enough for every case (includes Hi-Current short accident) the inductance will be lost forever. (Something like the core-memory) Magnetized core keeps stay very outside of B-H curve.
Good info I'll try to find that type ones.I have only farnell supplier.

I noticed below points in my testings.

1) You need a bit higher output source.Some cheap chinese single chip mp3/radio kits,Mobile phones source is not enough to this amp.You need some type of a high output source (Line output).

2) My inductors getting hot (Sattelite Sides), I dont know the value of factory installed ones.Since my sattelites are 8 ohms. Do I still need 10uH inductors?

3)Can I solve the popup noise by adding an audio transformer (As mentioned by weissi) to this AMPs Pre-Amp input? Without modifying the circuit?

4)Out of topic.If I properly set up the speakers & the circuit is this amp better than JBL soundbar 2.1 or 3.1? Because I planned to buy that JBL thing before making this...!!!
Old 7th August 2020, 03:34 AM   #16
CyberPit is offline CyberPit  Japan
diyAudio Member

Hi Joseph1-San,

I checked Farnell web page. They are selling many kinds of Power inductors. Such as ...
https://export.farnell.com/w/c/passi...rrent-irms-=na

Pick-up the parts which has a possible dimensions to install is the 1st constraint.
XH-M139's sub-woofer channel can drive 100W into 2ohms, thus means 7A RMS max. current (=10A peak Current)
Satellite channels are 50W into 4ohms, thus equals 3.6A RMS (=5A peak current) Those are minimum specs for ordinary operation, no over-loads.
Old 7th August 2020, 04:58 AM   #17
stratus46 is offline stratus46  United States
diyAudio Member

The TPA3116 is ALWAYS in bridge mode. Paralleling the 2 channels allows operation to 2 ohms. Normal linear
Voltage gain amplifiers can only be paralleled under special conditions unless you LIKE smoke from the amp. All
the TPA series amps can be paralleled. The TPA3255 can even be configured as 4 separate amps though for what
they cost I don't see why one would bother. DigiKey price $8.93 quantity 1.

Agreed on the sound of the 3116. I've been using them for my 5.1 TV system for a few years and no complaints
at all.

G≤
Old 7th August 2020, 10:14 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratus46 View Post
Agreed on the sound of the 3116. I've been using them for my 5.1 TV system for a few years and no complaints
at all.G≤
Nice to hear that.For the sub what you using?Circuit and the speaker?
Old 8th August 2020, 08:44 AM   #19
stratus46 is offline stratus46  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a 6 channel TPA3116 board for the 5.1 but also included preamp out for the sub. I'm using a Polk PSW-10 which I
got new for $88 AND free shipping back in 2018. I couldn't pass up that deal. The TPA sub channel is driven but connected
to nothing. The PSW is not connected as 'auto on'. It's powered on with the system but on a 1 second delay as the inrush of
the SMPS for the TPA amp causes a thump in the sub. The delay got rid of the thump. BTW there are no turn on or off quirks
of any variety for the TPA amps and the sub. It just politely starts to play after an intentional 5 second delay.

G≤

Last edited by stratus46; 8th August 2020 at 08:47 AM.
Old 13th August 2020, 03:36 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratus46 View Post
I have a 6 channel TPA3116 board for the 5.1 but also included preamp out for the sub. I'm using a Polk PSW-10 which I
got new for $88 AND free shipping back in 2018. I couldn't pass up that deal. The TPA sub channel is driven but connected
to nothing. The PSW is not connected as 'auto on'. It's powered on with the system but on a 1 second delay as the inrush of
the SMPS for the TPA amp causes a thump in the sub. The delay got rid of the thump. BTW there are no turn on or off quirks
of any variety for the TPA amps and the sub. It just politely starts to play after an intentional 5 second delay.

G≤
Can you show me your 6 channel board link..!!!

TPA3116D2 - ProtectionHide this!Advertise here!