Stereo or mono tpa board with low gain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jem, thank you for the suggestion.
FauxFrench, thank you for the help/suggestions.
Could you help me understand few more things?

Say if you compare these 2 amplifiers for which the specs are given:
Datasheet for 2 x 15 Watt Audio Amplifier Board - TA2024 Class D | Manualzz...
Access Denied

ta2024 one has 21 db gain, 750 mV sensitvity @ 4ohm/15W/1kHz, input impedance 22 kOhm

tpa3110 one has 26 db gain, 430 mV sensitivity @ 8ohm/8W/1kHz, input impedance 30 kOhm

Which of these specs would be better suited for a preamp?

The "preamp" that I have is actually one of the 6j1 tube buffers, and I don't think it really amplifies.
My source is high voltage (2V rms from DAC), so perhaps my issue is impedance mismatch?

Hi flo777,

Which of these specs would be better suited for a preamp?
Both are equally well suited for a pre-amp. The TA2024 will require a bit more output signal from the pre-amp (750mV) than the TPA3110 (430mV). But, most pre-amps can deliver 750mV as well so both the two power amplifiers you mention can be driven to full output. For the TPA3110 amplifier, you just have to turn down the volume on the pre-amp a little to have 430mV at the pre-amp output instead of 750mV.

The "preamp" that I have is actually one of the 6j1 tube buffers, and I don't think it really amplifies.
My source is high voltage (2V rms from DAC), so perhaps my issue is impedance mismatch?
Your DAC may supply more amplitude than your 6j1 tube buffer needs. Your pre-amp volume potentiometer generally takes care of that.
Impedance mismatch is a typical issue in RF transmission where you try to get as much power transferred as possible and avoid standing waves etc. (I know little about RF).
For audio electronics/frequencies, the source (your 6j1 tube buffer/amplifier) typically has a much lower output-impedance than the input-impedance it looks into (the power amplifier input). All (modern) pre-amps can drive 22KOhm or 30KOhm.

Say your car is stuck in a mud-pool. You have two tractors you can use to pull-out your car from the mud-pool. A Ferguson and a Ford. It does not make a difference which tractor you use because both can deliver much more puling-force than you need. Only if your car is very big and really deep into the mud such that the pulling-force is marginal, it may make a difference which tractor you use.
In audio electronics, we typically use powerful pre-amps (tractors) with low output impedance and high signal amplitude (pulling force) compared to the loading-impedance from the input of the power amplifier (the weight and situation of your car).

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.