Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TDA7498 Hiss
TDA7498 Hiss
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2020, 02:52 PM   #1
Apgar426 is offline Apgar426
diyAudio Member

Default TDA7498 Hiss

I've tried 2 of these amps so far, one from SUCCA-audio, the latest is SMSL SA-89e. They both have floor noise problems. The first had a high pitched whine, the SMSL has a loud hiss. Even with no input. Tried multiple power supplies. I'm using infinity R152 speakers (100w 8ohm, 87db). I can't keep spending money trying out new amps.

I've searched for weeks online for a better alternative or a modification to help with this problem, but I've found nothing definitive. At best it seems a TPA3251 based amp, or a dual 3116 may have less noise floor, but I'm not sure. Can anyone here offer any advice? I'm not afraid to open this thing up and solder, either.

Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 05:26 PM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is online now JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If these were sourced through fleabay, they are probably seconds and need to be returned as faulty.
Hiss is a noisy TDA7498 but whine could be poor filtering.
The power supply won't cause your issues.
Old 20th May 2020, 06:33 PM   #3
Apgar426 is offline Apgar426
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the response. Both the whine and hiss are plainly evident a few feet away from the speakers, even with ambient noise. However, I'm not sure it's enough to consider the units faulty. For reference, I tried another speaker, a Micca RB42 pair and there was was much less noise floor. The hiss disappeared only a few inches away. But, the Miccas did not have anywhere near the tweeter liveliness of the Infinity's.

These treble-sensitive speakers are probably making the problem worse, but now I am addicted to their sound. I'm hoping to find an amp to drive them cleanly, or modify the SMSL somehow.

Current ideas to reduce hiss:
-Try a 3251 based amp.. im suspicious- they are less than half the price of the SMSL

-Attenuate the tweeter inside the speaker.. I could live with toning it down a bit, but I may not have the experience to do this very well.

-Throw a shirt over the speaker. Cuts the hiss in half but muffles things a bit

TDA7498 HissHide this!Advertise here!