IRS2092 Modules VS TPA3255

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings, ive been planning a Class D subwoofer amp using modules as its cheaper then buying say a Dayton Audio plate of equal power.
My original plan was to use a stereo TPA3255 board, and just use one channel making it possible to be a stereo subwoofer amp with a PSU upgrade. But today i found THIS IRS2092, IRFB4227 module for cheaper, but needs split power and not a cheap MW switch mode. AS-4440?

Does anyone have experience with those IRS boards? for 4 Ohm subwoofer use would i get any more power using it instead of a TPA3255? i believe the TPA3255 at 4Ohm 1% 51V gives 250Wx2.

Does anyone have experience with those IRS boards? for 4 Ohm subwoofer use would i get any more power using it instead of a TPA3255? i believe the TPA3255 at 4Ohm 1% 51V gives 250Wx2.

Hi, as shown below, I own a dual mono IRS2092 Board fully discret components and I also own many TPA32XX boards.

The good question should be :

What about one high end TPA32XX board vs one high end IRS2092 one.
This IRS2092 is particulary great and a found the soundstage being very very good and absolutely dead silence between tracks. I agree with DrMordor, I think anyway that the high end TPA32XX (360 customs for instance) will be better than the top end IRS2092.
But, a good IRS2092 sounds better than a bad TPA32XX. I tested some IRS2092 modules, this is one is my favorite (Nichicon and Epcos caps, speakers protection etc)

But don't get me wrong, no need to spend so much for a great TPA32XX (see the famous Aiyima TPA3251)

B1.jpg

Amp-6.jpg

Last edited:
If you look for something up to 100W/8 Ohms the TPA3255 is the way to go. It is rock solid and can easily be powered by batteries. Being a great fan of these I would not recommend them for bigger power ratings. Cooling power losses of 30W and above from this tiny chip? How will you guarantee 100% thermal contact between chip and heat sink? This is fishy imho and the IRS-amps come in. These work fine as well, can be adequately cooled and are also rock solid. But they require dual-rail power-supply and standby power consumption is mediocre at least - not a candidate for battery powered systems.

Hi, as shown below, I own a dual mono IRS2092 Board fully discret components and I also own many TPA32XX boards.

The good question should be :

What about one high end TPA32XX board vs one high end IRS2092 one.
This IRS2092 is particulary great and a found the soundstage being very very good and absolutely dead silence between tracks. I agree with DrMordor, I think anyway that the high end TPA32XX (360 customs for instance) will be better than the top end IRS2092.
But, a good IRS2092 sounds better than a bad TPA32XX. I tested some IRS2092 modules, this is one is my favorite (Nichicon and Epcos caps, speakers protection etc)

But don't get me wrong, no need to spend so much for a great TPA32XX (see the famous Aiyima TPA3251)

B1.jpg

Amp-6.jpg
I Seen your amp in the class D pics fourm. What case is that and whats your power supply?

I have the two amplifiers TPA325x and IRS2092. The IRS2092 is of good quality and fed by a linear. For the bass I find the IRS2092 has a much better power handling. The TPA325X is more musical. On my bi-amplified system, I use an IRS2092 for low frequencies, it's the best

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.