Would anyone be willing to tutor??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, let me begin by saying that I don’t know very much.. yet. I realize there are courses on electronics but I do not have the money nor the time to go to class on their schedules, as I work all day. I have spent years working jobs that are no more than just a means to keep going but it’s not my passion. My passion is audio, and more specifically, making things sound and work better. Up until now, I’ve just used trick. I want to get into the circuits, the guts, of it all! Anyway, I am getting ready to purchase a course to learn on my own but I have very limited experience with it and I would like to find a tutor to help me make sense of the things I’m taking in. I could just post questions on this forum, and I will, I’m sure, but it would be nice to have a person I can contact directly and have a back and forth with. I live in Port Clinton, Ohio.

I will give you the advice not to waste you time studying on your own without getting certification. Without a certificate, you will be judged as an amateur or worse, a pretentious know-it-all.

Do not repeat my mistake. Certification is what makes other people in the profession or trade accept you.

Last edited:
I want to get into the circuits, the guts, of it all!

No need to purchase anything ... All About Circuits ... just head on over and start reading.

I will recommend that you try the experiments at you go. That will mean buying a multimeter, a small protoboard and some assorted parts. It's not terribly expensive at first. Later you will want an oscilloscope, power supply and signal generator... that gets a bit expensive.

I will and the others here will most likely help you out if you get stuck.

Joined 2011
I would not buy a course unless you want credit, there are lots of good free books and information sources.
Courses can be slow and too general, it's best to learn at your own pace and interest, if the knowledge
is what you want. You may need to start with math (algebra, trig, calculus, etc.).
https://www.pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_A...pers/Horowitz-Hill/The_Art_of_Electronics.pdf
MIT OpenCourseWare | Free Online Course Materials
MIT Open Learning Library | Open Learning
Massachusetts Institute of Technology | edX

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I'm in electronics now for over some 40 years and I've only bumped the edges. There is so much... touched a lot, hit more, missed the most. Got my finger beyond one single insight (triodized semiconductor compound), but barely possible to get it off the ground.

I want to get into the circuits, the guts, of it all!

So I did. But wanting is different from 'able'. Eagerness, drive and (utmost important) talent.
Good luck reading and studying.

Start simple, keep it simple.
Most of the inclined people have been into and doing this stuff for a long time.
I'm better at modifying things and doing some unorthodox than I am of creating anything new.
At some point you will find yourself digging through many many datasheets and will learn a lot just from that.
At this point, it's more about learning from things already in existence if you're not already schooled.

Have fun, start simple, impress yourself, inspire a deeper interest and skill level, on and on, keep it simple

We learned more if it didn't work than we did if it did work first time.

Darned straight ... When I was still teaching I used to make sure that every student had at least 1 bad part in their learner's kit.

"But gee, it doesn't work!"
"Okay, so fix it."

It's amazing how fast you learn when you have no choice.

But then, we can't forget the rules...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If it is broke, know when to stop fixing it.
When you let all the smoke out, things stop working.
Everything always works perfectly until the Boss comes in.

Last edited:
Hi DeadSound,

You have already got many good advises and I will also try my best.

The most important today with fierce competition, if you want to work with electronics, is dedication. A dedicated engineer/technician works 11-12 hours a day, not necessarily in an office but constantly trying to solve electronic problems in the back of his mind. During dinner, in the shower and even during sleep. It can be quite challenging for a spouse and kids.

A degree and a certificate are not necessarily bringing an interesting job. It is more important that you are competent and have created a reputation as being competent (and reasonable) than having a certain certificate. A certificate is often most important in jobs where the certificate is used as argument for that you should be able to do the job rather than you are actually competent. “We have employed Mr. X with a degree of Y from the university Z so you can rely on what he says”. Teachers at a renowned university have formal degrees because it is difficult to argue publicly that an autodidact person is able to teach persons with certified skills though it is very possible in reality. It is a kind of formality insisted upon by those with a certificate.
I believe to have heard that one of the best designers of high-power class D amplifiers on this forum is in part autodidact. I have read many of the postings and the content is far above my level though I have a formal university degree.

Do you need to go to a university and buy expensive books to learn electronics? NO, there is so much relevant information on the Internet but it is your job to find it and chose the best. I have bought many expensive books during my university time which were poor in explaining the principles. I have also read more “simple” books intended for lower level studies that were excellently written. It is always better to understand 90% of a more simple book than 10% of a very sophisticated book.
A university degree and the certificate are in many countries products the schools try to sell you. It may require an important effort from you to get the certificate in the end but I have been told that there are places where you merely buy the certificate against sufficient payment. You then buy with the expectation to turn the investment into good income through employment.

If you wish to become an engineer who can solve practical engineering problems, it is important you get practical experience. At least for the time being, electronic DIY audio boards and kits can be bought very cheap from Asia. They are of varying quality and some even have serious defects. But, investing a couple of $ brings an engineering challenge you may need to repair for a start but can then use for studies and experiments. Can you make it work with less good components, you can also make it work with better components later-on. A couple of $ will bring you very little teaching but working with a cheap board will bring you important knowledge.

Forums like this one are crucial when you get stuck. Please try to be clear on the situation and the problem in your first posting such that reply-postings are efficient. I have seen more initial postings that were so brief that we had to spend 4-5 reply-postings just to understand what was requested. And, it was not a matter of knowing English or not.

If you have not been scared away by this, then dig in and welcome! :)

Some really good advice!

One more thing to add ...

If you are serious about learning electronics to at least a service or building level (as opposed to assembling kits) you need to be very careful of the credibility of your sources.

Plainly... there are a ton of guys on YouTube, various forums, books, etc. who simply don't know their backsides from a hole in the ground. What you get from them will be the memorex version of electronic service... "If this happens, change that"... But they won't be able to tell you why. In fact many won't even know how the part they are changing actually works.

Sadly, with this going on it is just as important that you pick your teachers wisely as it is for you to study the lessons before you.

Last edited:
The basis of any technology is science. Therefore, you must have a very sound scientific understanding of the science of electric currents. Electric currents are streams of electrons moving collectively in one direction at any instant. Electrons are sub-atomic particles which have certain properties like charge, and an extremely small mass, which makes them respond almost instantly, whenever an external force acts on them. The forces generated by electrons and experienced by them, give them their properties which are exhibited when an electric current flows. Electrostatic forces give rise to materials having the ability to retain unbalanced charges: this is capacitance. Moving electrons generate a magnetic field which causes them to experience forces. For instance, when magnetic field collapses or changes, electrons experience a force. This force gives rise to inductance. Moreover, moving electrons crash into a solid's atoms causing them to oscillate more vigorously about their rest postition in the metal. This gives rise to an increased temperature. The final effect of an electric current is when the latter oscillates at a frequency, in which case, given enough electrons oscillate, a changing magnetic field is set up which radiates outwards from the metal/conductor causing it: this happens with transmitting antennas. It also happens on a extremely small scale in ordinary circuits.

Knowing and understand the science will permit you to understand and appreciate why electronic components are built in the way they are.

Don't rush, the scienctific foundations are important, if you want to understand what you will learn.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The best teacher (along with reading all you can on the subject) is experience... and that means getting together some common parts and a variable voltage current limited power supply and starting to build simple stuff.

You will (and need) to let the magic smoke free and that will only come through experience. If your interest is there then it should be enjoyable and the learning relatively easy, certainly at first anyway.

Begin with the basics such as getting LED's to light up and flash and perhaps investigating some basic 1 or 2 transistor amplifier circuits.

Test equipment should really include an oscilloscope from the outset and a cheap older analogue type is ideal.

I remember back to when I was a poor student in college. I made most of my test equipment. Learning to build some low cost equipment is a good place to learn. As a example I made a test source, Exar 2206 on protoboard from a Popular Electronics article. I made and still use a power suppply using Hammond transformers and LM317, 337 regulators. Learning electronics these days with the internet provides a wealth of information that was not available when I was learning electricity. Fundamentals are important and essential, so you need your algebra and AC/DC theory as a start.

i appreciate everyone’s advice. I believe I started out pretty naïve but I am certain about this career, or at the least, this hobby. I enjoy getting down to the route of problems and I have a need to understand “why”. Some of the comments are kind of discouraging, but if we let every discouraging word stop us there would be nothing

I'm glad to see you are pushing on. As I told you this can be a very rewarding and challenging hobby or career.

As for the discouraging remarks (some of which were mine) don't let that stop you. It is better that you walk into this room with your eyes wide open, aware of some of the problems or pitfalls you may encounter. You can't avoid what you don't see coming.

Oddly enough, that is also why we study electronic theory... so we can see exactly how things work, in order to fix them.

Best of luck on the endeavour.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.