Small cheap amplifier to convert passive to powered speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, you were all so helpful when I was upgrading my stereo speakers a while back and I'm hoping your collective expertise can help again today!

I am hoping to make a mono 'grotbox' speaker for checking my mixes on.

I have a single driver passive speaker to do the job. At the minute I am running a Lepai Class T amp to drive it, but it keeps making loud clicking noises intermittently and scaring the life out of me.

I'm hoping to turn the speaker into an all in one unit with the amp on the inside and a power-switch attached to the outside somehow.

Part of the point is that it doesn't sound great so I'm looking for something cheap and effective rather than 'good'. Any advice is appreciated!

I've attached pics of the speaker and driver.

Audio will be coming from Protools > RME interface > Mackie Big Knob

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• IMG_8005.jpg
    IMG_8005.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_8004.jpg
    IMG_8004.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 397
Alternatively, any clues on what would make the Lepai make such a wretched sound? I figure it's something PSU related.

Lepai --Lepy, Lepi, etc.-- amps all deteriorate like that. Its about crappy design and cheap volume controls. The volume controls in the original design where in the feedback loops of op-amps, the least bit of dust and you get full power pops and clicks each time you touch them.

Thanks! Ok, so say I buy this amp here, I would need to run the standard speaker wires into 'audio out', the + and - from the TRS out of the Mackie Big Knob into 'audio in' and the + and - of a 12V power supply into 'power in'?

And that should run? Or is there more to it than that? I'm finding it really hard to Google tutorials, so apologies if this gets asked all the time. :)

Thanks for your help, Douglas. That's the kinda thing I'm looking for :)

I would need to run the standard speaker wires into 'audio out', the + and - from the TRS out of the Mackie Big Knob into 'audio in' and the + and - of a 12V power supply into 'power in'?

Correct.

Power + and - to your supply... 19 volts is pretty common in laptop chargers and it will give you a little more oomph.

Speaker + and - simply hook up to your existing speaker.

In + and - go to microphone cable connected to a TRS plug, + goes to the tip, - goes to the sleeve.

Then ... enjoy.

The only extra I would advise is that if you find the chip running hot, you should invest in a small heat sink for it. You can get them with adhesive pre-applied so they just peel and stick on the chip. If you go with this buy the biggest one that will fit without touching anything else.

Thanks for your help, Douglas. That's the kinda thing I'm looking for :)

No worries, mate.

Correct.

Power + and - to your supply... 19 volts is pretty common in laptop chargers and it will give you a little more oomph.

Amazing, this is great advice, thanks! Someone in my area is giving these away - I’m guessing either of them would work?

Khron: thanks that link was helpful!

Attachments

• 2415D43C-F14E-4778-9E68-81266731DEA4.jpeg
    2415D43C-F14E-4778-9E68-81266731DEA4.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 287
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.