Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

What amp should I be looking at for 4 ohm?
What amp should I be looking at for 4 ohm? Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2020, 09:12 AM   #1
Kustomize123 is online now Kustomize123
diyAudio Member

Default What amp should I be looking at for 4 ohm?

I have a 5.1 Home theater set up, running on a Denon AVR-x2400H.

My speakers dip down to 4 ohms, even lower at some points. (Zaph 5.3T, Zaph 5.3C, and surrounds).

I feel like my speakers can do better with a different amp. It feels like when I push the speakers hard, my denon can't keep up.

What amp board would you recommend? Class D? T? And is there a way I can go full on 5.1 through these boards? I am totally blank.

I have seen TPA3116D2 mentioned around a lot, will that work better than my denon?

Last edited by Kustomize123; 22nd March 2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is this something that might be of use?

HC100C audio CS8675 Bluetooth 5.0 Digital Amplifier APTX HD Independent Decoding TPA3116D2 100W*2 PCM5102|Amplifier| | - AliExpress
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:06 AM   #3
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

You should get the denon-avr-x4400h
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
You should get the denon-avr-x4400h
Really? All this time I was reading about how these AVRs dont have real wattts compared to these board amps. Not true?
Old 22nd March 2020, 11:03 AM   #5
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Well...reading at the link that you posted I remember the supply requirement: 24 V 4 A
Nothing else to say!
Those denon and all the home theatre equipment ( which I'm not familiar with) just use the classic bipolar couple for push pull operation. Doubling it would allow for more output current but that is not easy to achieve in 2U rack space, for 5 or 7 channels!
What you have to visually inspect is the size of the power transformer: the bigger, the better> it goes together with the request from the power stages
Old 22nd March 2020, 11:54 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
Well...reading at the link that you posted I remember the supply requirement: 24 V 4 A
Nothing else to say!
Those denon and all the home theatre equipment ( which I'm not familiar with) just use the classic bipolar couple for push pull operation. Doubling it would allow for more output current but that is not easy to achieve in 2U rack space, for 5 or 7 channels!
What you have to visually inspect is the size of the power transformer: the bigger, the better> it goes together with the request from the power stages
It doesn't have to be the link that I sent.

Is there no other board that can be better than my current Denon AVR 2400?
Old 22nd March 2020, 12:10 PM   #7
Douglas Blake is offline Douglas Blake  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustomize123 View Post
I have a 5.1 Home theater set up, running on a Denon AVR-x2400H.
I have seen TPA3116D2 mentioned around a lot, will that work better than my denon?
No.

I just had a peek...The Denon 2400 is specified at 95 watts per channel with low distortion for the two front (stereo) channels. With all channels going power management cuts in and you're likely getting about 60 to 70 watts per channel before serious distortion begins.

In order to top that you would have to go to external power amplifiers that, even home-brewed, would end up costing you a couple of hundred bucks per channel.

I see you went with DIY speakers, which is cool. But if they're dipping below a nominal 6 ohms impedance you will be hitting the limits of most AVR gear. I would think that looking to improve the impedance profiles of your speakers, likely though different crossovers, might give you a more satisfactory solution to the problem.
Old 25th March 2020, 01:07 AM   #8
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Moderator

Discussion of the crossover was moved to the Multi-Way section - Working the crossover for better impedance for more responses.

What amp should I be looking at for 4 ohm?Hide this!Advertise here!