Ideas/advice TPA3255 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would love to replace this with a TPA325x Amplifer but really need one with Optical input and remote control. No one has yet come out with anything suitable and the biggest issue for this type of combination is that they tend to be built to rather low consumer standards and Sound Quality is a very secondary requirement !!
Coming soon...

Attachments

• MyDSP.jpeg
    MyDSP.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 444
Coming soon...

Looks interesting. Do you have an outline spec ? What is the DSP chip ?

Maybe a bit overkill for my AV project !! I just need Optical in, Remote Controlled Volume and analogue out to go to Amplifier module !

Something built around the Texas PGA2311 with optical input or similar chipset that can take digital input natively. HDMI input would probably be nice too.

SMSL and other small amplifier manufacturers provide this functionality in some of their products which makes them attractive but they just don’t have the Quality Power Amp stage to complete the package.

There is definitely an opportunity for a box designed for the AV market but keeping it simple and with best quality sound to match the digital sources we have available today.

I know it may be sacrilege for many but audio sources are becoming things like Amazon TV Firestick, Amazon Echo, Apple Mac Mini, Apple Airports and if you must, the dreaded windows based PC. Google, Sonos and plenty of others have similar products.

Yeah it is a real pain. The usb freeview tuner is the only solution I can see. I stream Netflix through my Mac and the sound is good but it doesn’t go through the tv. If you have a pc these tuners are cheaper.

I have also used Network (Ethernet) based tuners in the past for both Terrestrial and Satellite TV - The advantage being you can put the Tuner where the aerial enters the house rather than try running Coax to the Mac or PC.

Where in the UK are you based ?

James.

The tv thing is really bugging me. The usb tuner would work probably. The other idea is to have the optical out from the tv going into the Mac and then the Mac streaming that to my Raspberry Pi which has volume control. I don’t even know if I it can work and I have never used the optical input in my 10 year old Mac. I might spend £6 on the optical cable and if it doesn’t work I will give up for a while.

I still have to install my Rasberry Pi 3B+, its psu, a rotary input selector, 240v relay, push button power switch and coax rca for socket for my DAC. I will post pics once I have done the work.

Rick, thanks for the soldering advice. I am getting a lot better.

You're so welcome ElliJ. And I hope that £6 cable is a winner for you!

+1 bushellj -- seems like it ought to be a market with potential -- optical in, decent analog audio out, with remote volume. Line level or modest power amp OK. Maybe the problem is that the marketing people are scattered in separate departments -- or separate companies ..

drMordor, your project looks beautiful, and has me licking my lips .. Especially if your design allows populating one section at a time -- PRN, as a nurse might say.;)

Cheers

Last edited:
The tv thing is really bugging me. The usb tuner would work probably. The other idea is to have the optical out from the tv going into the Mac and then the Mac streaming that to my Raspberry Pi which has volume control. I don’t even know if I it can work and I have never used the optical input in my 10 year old Mac. I might spend £6 on the optical cable and if it doesn’t work I will give up for a while.

I still have to install my Rasberry Pi 3B+, its psu, a rotary input selector, 240v relay, push button power switch and coax rca for socket for my DAC. I will post pics once I have done the work.

Rick, thanks for the soldering advice. I am getting a lot better.
You can replace the Khadas Tone Board with an external dac with remote, volume control and optical and usb input. Topping E30 would do the job. Keep it as a power amplifier only.

Leave KTB for a project with a single input.

V

I’ve given up on getting my tv’s audio going through my amp, the only way I can do it effectively is by using a usb tuner plugged into my Mac.

I have something new, a pair of Elac Debut Reference bookshelf speakers. They sound awesome and look great.

My amp after a few months has not failed to impress me. My only issue is that it runs warmer than I would like. Since adding a RaspberryPi and usb power supply I think my case is a bit crowded. To solve this issue without adding a fan I decided to get a bigger case. Rather than a nice new case I have gone for something retro, I looked on eBay for a 70’s amp to butcher. I wanted something with a simple clean look, no square buttons or sliders and even though they look cool no VU meters. I found a Trio KA-1500, I think it looks great and hopefully it will solve my cooling problems. If all goes well over the weekend I will post some pictures of a slightly warm and cool looking amp. My Trio only has one channel working so I won’t be ruining a perfectly good amp for this project.

70’s Upcycle

My Trio KA-1500 arrived on Friday. I stripped it out and then installed the main bits from the cramped amp case. I want to use the Trio power switch so need to add a 240vac relay. The only other bit I used was the power LED and a scavenged resister so I could connect it to the 12v aux on the 3e TPA3255. I added a separate power switch for the raspberry pi on the back as it is hassle turning it on and off. I used little lever connector blocks for the 240vac wiring, they were very handy. The iPad usb charger was used because I could wire it in unlike most which only plug into the wall. It barely gets warm now which is what I was hoping for. I put all the pots back in to mount the knobs except the volume which is a 10k SMD DACT type 21 step pot.

I saw a beautiful 70’s Yamaha receiver on eBay for £800, if I can find one for less than £100 that will be my next long term project.

Attachments

• 5AB3DC5D-BA14-4865-AE3E-744057CE0A7F.jpeg
    5AB3DC5D-BA14-4865-AE3E-744057CE0A7F.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 05E24336-A12C-4C9C-B81E-9CCD1DF3EBB5.jpeg
    05E24336-A12C-4C9C-B81E-9CCD1DF3EBB5.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 147
  • F7E3B049-08FB-412D-A0D9-54AB497A5036.jpeg
    F7E3B049-08FB-412D-A0D9-54AB497A5036.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 150
  • D6EFA7AF-CFCD-448B-AA5C-36BCC730A1ED.jpeg
    D6EFA7AF-CFCD-448B-AA5C-36BCC730A1ED.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 149
  • F0C0BDCF-F9DA-4FDC-B935-5688A81D9D67.jpeg
    F0C0BDCF-F9DA-4FDC-B935-5688A81D9D67.jpeg
    446 KB · Views: 98
  • 7B80C25F-432F-4D59-8DC6-B05EC45F9BE4.jpeg
    7B80C25F-432F-4D59-8DC6-B05EC45F9BE4.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 104
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.