Mounting ICEpower 500asp in chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am assembling my first stereo ICEpower 500ASP class D amp, and I would like to check if there is a problem in mounting as shown in the picture, without standoffs.

My idea is to add some thermal paste between the amp's heatsing and the chassis base, which is stainless steel so not the best thermal performance, but still better than nothing.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200229_121535.jpg
    IMG_20200229_121535.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20200229_121524.jpg
    IMG_20200229_121524.jpg
    965.2 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20200229_121514.jpg
    IMG_20200229_121514.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 234
If you do not use it in an PA application this is just fine. Be sure that air can circulate over the PCB, as there are parts not connected to the heat sink that produce heat, too.
The holes in the base plate are fine, even better if there is a vent on the top to let the hot air out, so you get some convection.
Note, there are two problems with heat: First the on board protection kicking in and second the long therm effect, which may lead to failure of parts.
A look at the caps temperature value helps with this, if all are 105°C there is more tolerance than you have with the 85°C type.

If you do not use it in an PA application this is just fine. Be sure that air can circulate over the PCB, as there are parts not connected to the heat sink that produce heat, too.
The holes in the base plate are fine, even better if there is a vent on the top to let the hot air out, so you get some convection.
Note, there are two problems with heat: First the on board protection kicking in and second the long therm effect, which may lead to failure of parts.
A look at the caps temperature value helps with this, if all are 105°C there is more tolerance than you have with the 85°C type.

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the top cover is the perforated one to provide more breath and air.

The amps will drive 1 subwoofer ea., for home use ony, even at moderate levels, so I don't think this ICEs will break a sweat.

Cheers!

Heatsink them as suggested by Manufacturer who know what they are doing, I love stainless steel but not for its heatsinking properties, even less thin sheet metal and to boot , perforated.

In any case, officially suggested heatsinking should be quite compact, no reason to avoid it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.