Infineon MA12070 Class D

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Ohhh, that is different but I find it hard to distill what you are saying. So 2 channels of 3 way active speakers (= 3 "channels" for active loudspeaker)? Then you need 4 x MA12070 modules in total when wanting 2 x BTL and 1 x PBTL per channel isn't it? That would be 2 x 80W BTL by 1 MA12070 board for tweeter and mid tone and 1 x 160W with another MA12070 board for the woofer per channel. And if right... also 2 x 350W PSU.

Or is it 3 channels of 2 way speakers? Maybe it is better to speak of what you want/need for just 1 speaker :D For 2 way and like you say "1 BTL and 1 PBTL per side" you could do with just 1 x MA12070 board with 2 x BTL otherwise you do need 2 MA12070 boards per speaker for 1 x BTL and 1 x PBTL per side. That could be changed to 2 x PBTL in total but then 2 x 160W for tweeter/mid and woofer so all channel are used (adjust volume of the tweeter then). That is 6 modules in total. And a few PSU.

Don't get me started on 3 channels of 3 way speakers :)

24V 5A won't cut it.

Last edited:
Sorry for confusion, 3 way speakers in stereo setup. Tweeter and mid get one amplifier board in BTL configuration and the woofer will another amplifier board in PBTL configuration. So yes, one hefty PSU or two smaller PSU per enclosure to power two amplifier boards in the enclosure. I'll be using balanced interconnects with external DSP. I will build only one side first to test performance, I need low noise. I rather use two PSU if it helps with the noise.

The sabaj and other ready made amps would work as well but I don't want volume control or bluetooth nor too many separate boxes. Might still buy them or some secondhand hifi/pa amps if this build project ends up too cumbersome (timely).

I have looked the TPA3255 solutions for some time but they end up costing a bit more and I think these MA12070 have enough power, not too much money wasted to try it out. Then this new integrated module from Peerless turned out, but don't know when it is going to be released so going for a cheapish solution for now, mainly to power speaker prototypes. Hypex (and other) plateamps are ruled out for usability reasons. nCore amps would be nice, but again costs a bit too much for the budget.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
4 x 40 Euro plus 2 x 30 Euro. That is 220 Euro ex shipping...And you will need to build and may need mounting hardware, power switches, fuse holders.... Maybe the Sabaj is not so expensive after all and I must say the looks are OK too. It has volume control which may come handy for speaker protection. If you want low noise: "open" amplifiers are noisier... No BT thankfully.

Last edited:
Yes but I'd need two sabaj per side so total almost 1000e, almost double price and four volumeknobs. Hardware will cost in addition to the boeards, but that is not painfull since it comes exactly as needed, nothing more, nothing less. Resale value on sabaj much better than diy box so in that sense a lot cheaper buy readymade stuff.

Anyway, just looking for a psu, thanks! :)

Yes, power of DIY lies in the customization. A system can be tailor fit :)

This one looks nice and available from the audiophonics.fr SMPS300R Module d'Alimentation a Decoupage 300W / +/-24V - Audiophonics

Would +- 24v supply work for two amplifier boards, each takes one rail? I've got no knowledge on smps or class D intricacies. Two rail smps could be used for some class A or AB amp builds it seems so though it could be nice option, investment for future experiments. Can two separate single rail smps be used together as a two rail system? How flexible are these or is the rule of thumb always use one smps for one amplifier? I'm looking for sufficient smps that would help create low noise system and I don't want any kind problem with the PSU. I'd like to buy a safe bet.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Yes, but can the positive rail power the other board and negative rail the other? Between the 0 and -24 rail is also +24 voltage difference, just reverse the cabling to the amplifier board. But I don't know if these systems can work like that without problems?

Last edited:
I was reading the data sheet of MA12070 (analog input) . I was interested to build a simplified 2.1 using SE (stereo) + BTL (subwoofer) .

I saw the SE configuration having high pass on the output .

I'm thinking of implement a passive low pass on the input of the BTL channel and set it as high gain .

Before buying the MA12070 , I just need to make sure it's doable
Any expert here to advise?

Thanks

Last edited:
I was reading the data sheet of MA12070 (analog input) . I was interested to build a simplified 2.1 using SE (stereo) + BTL (subwoofer) .

I saw the SE configuration having high pass on the output .

I'm thinking of implement a passive low pass on the input of the BTL channel and set it as high gain .

Before buying the MA12070 , I just need to make sure it's doable
Any expert here to advise?

Thanks

Before commenting on this idea, I'm confused. The MA12070 datasheet contains information about Rin, a resister that dictates the input impedance. However, when I look at the Typical Application Block Diagram, Rin is not shown. Where is it? As I see it, Rin 14K gets you an input impedance of 9.2K.

I believe Rin is the input impedance of the chip's inputs, not a separate resistor. What's a little confusing is that Table 7-1 lists it as 14K (26 dB gain mode) or 21K (20 dB gain mode) while Table 9-3 lists it as 9.2K (26 dB gain mode) or 15.3K (20 dB gain mode). Perhaps Table 7-1 is without the AC coupling caps while Table 9-3 is with the recommended coupling caps.

I believe Rin is the input impedance of the chip's inputs, not a separate resistor. What's a little confusing is that Table 7-1 lists it as 14K (26 dB gain mode) or 21K (20 dB gain mode) while Table 9-3 lists it as 9.2K (26 dB gain mode) or 15.3K (20 dB gain mode). Perhaps Table 7-1 is without the AC coupling caps while Table 9-3 is with the recommended coupling caps.

Sorry, I looked a little closer at the registers and see that 0x25 dictates the gain. Thanks!

One other point of confusion :eek:

The MA12070p can be configured PBTL (mono). As I see it, the chip must be processing the pcm data on the sd0 pin only if the word select pin is low or high, left or right. I can't figure out how one would configure the chip to process just one or the other and not both. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Hi

I think ma12070p (i2s) version is for digital input and it needs 2 x i2s signal which is much more complicated .
I'm looking for simpler analog version for now and hoping one day there's a digital preamp (skip the dac) and having 2.1 output for dual ma12070p ( 2x80w + 1x160w )

The other wishlist was hoping for replacement for the tiny tpa3118 pbtl . It can be much smaller build without inductor

IMHO, this chip really can takeover where tpa3116/8 left off

One other point of confusion :eek:

The MA12070p can be configured PBTL (mono). As I see it, the chip must be processing the pcm data on the sd0 pin only if the word select pin is low or high, left or right. I can't figure out how one would configure the chip to process just one or the other and not both. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Page 29 of the datasheet has a diagram for PBTL and in the audio source section you will notice 0L, dummy listed as input. So the chip will only use the left channel data stream of SD0 as input. Very easy to test :)