Infineon MA12070 Class D

Out of curiosity I ordered an AIYIMA A8 and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.
I have played 3e audio TPA3255 now for a couple of years and the difference is very clear.
It's not that "in your face" that TPA have just softer and I realy like it!
To little power in the AIYIMA for the Purifi speaker but it works.
What is next step up?
Sabaj?
Or any DIY board?

Reactions: 1 users
Hmmm ...Another Cheap Audio Flavor of the Month !??
Over the Years I've naively followed along erm.. Blindly ...Tripath Chips ... #3116 etc.
Of which I purchased Multiple variations of. Trying for the forum suggested "good one" to improve.
Did the various and often complex "improvements' . which typically made small.. if Any, changes.
Became disillusioned, as this Never seemed to satisfy, let alone meet the claims.
Shelved the things for years.
Recently in a clean up effort I resurrected and tried these again.
Pure Shite is My honest / current evaluation. ..from a fresh perspective .
Harsh / Shrill / Frequency constrained and with Serious on off noises, Impressive indeed.
An Instant into the bin result. Should have done this 10 years ago... Older and hopefully a bit wiser now.

Hope and Hype seems typical of Dumpster diving for peanut priced Gems in the Chinese online trash bin :ROFLMAO:.
But Hey ! this constant search seems as what keeps open mouth Forums going.
Enjoy.. until you don't ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yeah blindly following recommendations does not always pay off. Let's say I like old fashioned good quality stuff that lasts but I like an amplifier experiment here and there. Got bored with modifying and building and I set my mind on a certain Lyngdorf device that got very positive reviews. It was supposedly the best thing since sliced bread having important stuff like DIRAC and many features I never missed.

Until it was measured.

Same goes for quite expensive stuff that was supposed to be very good but a simple DIY device performed better. At least Che-Fi is very low cost and therefor the thinking is the other way around. "It costs pennies but it performs quite good. Let's see if we can make it better." Even when it does not satisfy, the disappointment is way less than spending 2000 Euro and experiencing dissatisfaction (this happens so much that one gets cautious). I fooled quite some audiophiles with a nicely encased amplifier with 2 x TPA3118 modules costing 6 Euro a piece. Point being that the design omissions should be detected and one always needs to change a few things which is like a nice puzzle and a challenge. Some look OK but in reality they're a waste of time. Well then they get the hammer treatment :)

That silly Aiyima outperforms my own amplifier. Sabaj A20a did as well but I did not want to know. Instant frustration of the soft kind. Brought the Sabaj A20a to a friend, same thing happened. Now you can state that it is all garbage and that is fine but maybe we just enjoy finding the pearls in the shite. You forgot to mention to what good devices you compare all those lousy performing devices you bought following the hype of the month.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Why? It is used here with a chip that has 26V normal operating voltage. I just mentioned it simplified and I think simplicity is required as some may try to use "what they have" like bog standard 2 x 12V toroids. Just like using 2 x 12V lead acid batteries in series it ends up in smoke so it is nice to make that clear.

How is your MA12070 project coming along?

Last edited:

Only because you asked 'What happens at power-on?' and these circuits resolve that.

As regards my MA12070 project, I've abandoned that now after doing some listening to the trafo-input version of my modded 'BRZHiFi' amp. It has better bass but poorer mid cleanliness than my TDA8932 amp so I'm going another route on classD. More on my blog.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The BRZHiFi is indeed not the last word in MA12070 designs but who would expect that for the absurd low price they sell it for?

So no commercial MA12070 devices by your hand? Maybe a better board layout and different decoupling/filtering may overcome the poor mid cleanliness you experience with the BRZHiFi product. I think the product might not show what the chip is capable of. Just saying.

Last edited:
Infineon-MA12070-specs.png

Infineon-MA533MS-specs.png

Infineon-MA533MS-specs-noise-floor.png

Infineon-IRS2092-specs.png

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Noticed that too. You get the power AND the noise.

Some seem to need to have PA level output power but most that live in a normal house with a living room under 30 m2 will be happy with relatively small amplifiers (depending on the efficiency of the loudspeakers but that is a simple choice).

The thing in general is that the desire for high output power results not in only 1 but many undesired factors. Shortest path from A to B with added luxury as complete silent operating devices in small size seems high(er) efficiency loudspeakers and moderate output power amplifiers.

Last edited:
That is an assumption.
More a working hypothesis. If and when I find something that falsifies it, then I'll update.

@maty tinman - good point to bring attention to the noise. It depends quite a lot on the amp gain and higher powered amps tend to have higher gain and hence more noise. Bruno's designs are an exception, less than 20dB gain on his 200W+ offerings. So he needs an input buffer with gain or high-level drive.

Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Assuming device B to be just like its predecessor A without having tried it IS an assumption and a dangerous one in the sense that people reading might believe that as truth. It just works like that as we know hence the power of fake reviews or "real" reviews driven by commercial interests. A hypothesis generally is not spread publicly.

A bit like: "I heard Abraxalito seems to be an extreme right wing guy". A complete lie but very hard to get rid of when that spreads.

Or like "I think TDA8932 devices are no competition for MA12070 devices, they have that unnatural metallic highs" based on having tried only one (1) TDA8932 device.

It's politics IMO but now I am going to do stuff that needs to be done. Ciao!

Last edited: