Brainstorming Purifi 1et400a amps

Good afternoon.
Recently bought a basic Nord 1et400a.
Looked inside, there are rev d buffers, but without voltage regulators. Instead, the jumper is simply soldered.
What do you think, if I buy Sparkos ss78 (15v) and ss79 (-15v) separately and just install them? There is a photo buffer on the nord website (without opamp).
In my amplifier, they look the same, only with opa 1612 and without voltage regulators. The name on the board is exactly the same.

It seems that it looks easy. Opa 1612 suits me perfectly, but regulators are probably better to install.

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for my english, I am using google translator.

closed account
Joined 2007
Good afternoon.
Recently bought a basic Nord 1et400a.
Looked inside, there are rev d buffers, but without voltage regulators. Instead, the jumper is simply soldered.
What do you think, if I buy Sparkos ss78 (15v) and ss79 (-15v) separately and just install them? There is a photo buffer on the nord website (without opamp).
In my amplifier, they look the same, only with opa 1612 and without voltage regulators. The name on the board is exactly the same.

Every such regulator needs to start with a higher voltage in order to deliver a regulated supply. So you need to deliver more than 15V in order to use them.

This also means that you must configure the Hypex power supply to deliver a unregulated 24V aux supply (instead of a regulated 15V). Then, you can use your regulators.

Hi amigos,

Here my new Purifi DIY amp.
In a few words :

The Kayamb Audio Buffer is a DIY Buffer made by a friend of mine and using :
  • Susumu Japanese resistors
  • Nichicon KZ Muse Audio grade caps
  • DIP8 OP amps socket (OPA1656 here)
  • Hypex HPR12 Voltage regulator

The enclosure is a Galaxy GX alu case made in Italy and the Speakers terminals are in Copper. (Viborg style)
There is also a soft start module to limit destructive inrush currents

The amp is absolutely dead silent even with my ears glued to the speakers.
I also added a copper film on the Hypex transformer.
The default Buffer gain is -14DB, these buffers sound awesome by the way !

I am still testing the OPA1692 / 1656 and 1622. In progress....

Hi

I guess you re talking about the PSU to Buffers cables ? Or Speakers output wires ?

I need a bit more time to give a pertinent feedback about this Kayamb buffers. I will compare vs the Audiophonics Purifi and my MS Italian Buffers.

As said I ve been testing some Op amps and still need to find the best ones (for me)

Good resistors, good caps, neat layer and clean implementation always matter )) (Neurochrome buffers are probably among the best)

Last edited:
I guess you re talking about the PSU to Buffers cables ? Or Speakers output wires ?
Speaker output wires, the ones from the amps to the output connectors. They need to be tightly and symmetrically twisted (as per advice from Bruno).
As said I ve been testing some Op amps and still need to find the best ones (for me)
How are you testing?

Good resistors, good caps, neat layer and clean implementation always matter ))

That is a bit like the silly "everything matters" audiophile mantra. My question is more specific - how and why do they matter?

Hi,

As you can see I am using Blue edition Studio grade wires for the speakers, they are very well insulated and use Oxygen free copper. They are short and not twisted inside, usually I twist it I agree )

I am testing with my ears, I can't measure but I own many amps, some Purifi, high ends TPA325X, Poppulse, Merus, Hypex Ncore etc....
My setup : Gustard AK4499 / 2.5 way Floor Speakers 93DB with Ribbon tweeters.

How and why do good components matters ) answer, get a bad TPA325X with bad components and a great TPA325X with good components (Topping PA5) and see ASR measurements. Most of Purifi amps measure well but.... )

Checkout :

VTV Purifi with Custom buffers / Weiss OP2-BA Op-amp

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ifi-amplifier-review-with-weiss-buffer.24887/
PURIFI Eval board with OPA1612 :

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/
The VTV is not as good as the Eval one.

As you can see I am using Blue edition Studio grade wires for the speakers, they are very well insulated and use Oxygen free copper. They are short and not twisted inside, usually I twist it I agree )

It is not about insulation or supposed quality of cable (I am sure you know that there is no such thing as "oxygen free" in reality), but minimizing antenna surface by tight twisting, just as (balanced) telephone wires have been done since the 1930s - for a good reason.
I am testing with my ears

So only ears, not eyes or preconceived notions (as in double-blind ABX)?

How and why do good components matters ) answer, get a bad TPA325X with bad components and a great TPA325X with good components (Topping PA5) and see ASR measurements. Most of Purifi amps measure well but.... )
I am asking specifically about resistors and capacitors, not full circuit implementation.
Checkout :

VTV Purifi with Custom buffers / Weiss OP2-BA Op-amp

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ifi-amplifier-review-with-weiss-buffer.24887/
PURIFI Eval board with OPA1612 :

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/
The VTV is not as good as the Eval one.
That is comparing two different implementations with different opamps.