Brainstorming Purifi 1et400a amps

closed account
Joined 2007
So NAD has fired the last amp developer and replaced him by a bunch of marketing nonsense writers. Any generation gets the products they deserve.

Cool down and tale some Ritalin. NAD has jus moved from Hypex to Purifi, and the fact that the Purifi modules are also available to DIYers whereas the Hypex NC500 is not does not change the facts: the same designer, Bruno Putzeys, has improved his design while changing company.

MP3, i-phone, Alexa and company have preconditioned the ears of future buyers, so some cheap amp module, available to any DIYS idiot, is the future measure of superior sound quality.
What else could we expect from a generation that virtually lives inside of their smart phones and prefers Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest, Tumblr and reddit to seeing reality with their own eyes?
It had to come. S*hit in = S*hit out.

What can we expect? similar sound quality, less distortion, some additional features that you do not have to use.

PS: NAD uses Gorilla glas on their products now. They know what apes need!

Gu gu gu, wooo woo woo baaaaaaa baaa baaaa (throwing my feces at random people)

closed account
Joined 2007
My idea was and is: speakOn in the DIY PURIFI.

Or just normal flexible binding posts (make sure it is copper, and not silver plated. Rhodium or nothing.)

I like very much my modded KEF Q100 5.25" coaxial speakers -> they need better connectors or... my last tweak to increase the contact between metals.

Z-plugs. I use Z-plugs everywhere. Well, not. Not in my food or during sex. But I use them A LOT.

After, I will need new speaker cables (now Kimber Kable 8 PR), with speakOn and banana connectors.

Kimber Kable 4PR & 8PR Measurements and Analysis | Audioholics

They were an irresistible bargain to me: only 7 € by meter.

Not sure how audiophonics can bet them for that price, probably from chinese aliexpress sellers, and these are knocn-offs, BUT: 99.99% of cable sound comes from geometry, and the chinese kimber-like wreathed geometry cables are like the real thing. I have those and they are absolutely fantastic (as long as you dont have a NAIM amp, that hates capacitive loads).

Star-quad geometry, of course!

Star quad, the best geometry to build audio and power cables

If DIY speakers, then speakOn too, but I LOVE my little coaxials.

The more wreathed, the better. Buy some "12PR" from china, they sound sweert. Terminate them with Z-plugs (crimp them with a hexagonal crimper and good copper cable ends) and you have 99.99% of the quality of those tube connectors.

closed account
Joined 2007
I have completed the first version of my build, as you can see, it is still a bit rough, just placed on a wood board.
IMG-5433-small.jpg

IMG-5436-small.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
closed account
Joined 2007
Now the description of my work.

After some conversations with Kim Nordtorp Madsen at Purifi, I decided to buy a Connex SMPS800Re, which can deliver 800W continuously and up to 1000W burst. I picked it configured at +-54V, even though I could have asked for a customised 65V (more lead time), or even take the 72V one and use the trimmer to go down to 68.8V. In this configuration I have about 160W on 8ohm and 320 on 4ohm. With my very efficient speakers (95db!) I could have bought also a +-25V version.

Then I sourced from Mouser two little 18V switchers manufactured by RECOM. These seem to be the only little switchers at 18V for < 1A (in this case about 0.3A). 24V switchers are also ok, Meanwell also has them, but the RECOM ones are exceptionally low noise, low EMI, and precise. I mounted the two switchers on a little breadboard, as you can seem, with the -V of one tied to the +V of the others and to the ground, so I get -18,0,+18 - for the modulator. This is temporary since I will replace this with a little toroidal and a ATLhifi modified Sulzer regulator.

I use the Connex for +VP, -VP, VDR, VDR_RTN which is internal tied to -VP, and for GND. I need only one GND since the positive and negative rail share he ground, so I have one GND connection "dangling" and will later remove it.

Note that the Connex is, unlike the hypex, regulated, and a lot of DIYers in France and Germany swear by the Connex power supplies, considering them much better than the Hypex ones.

While I cannot do a direct comparison, the little Purifi amp with the stock buffer NOT yet bypassed sounds so much better than the NC500 mono blocks (with hypex smps and a buffer with Sonic Imagery opamps) that I find it quite likely that it is not due to the amplification board alone.

Last edited:
closed account
Joined 2007
Provide project or product link plz.

That is a picture of my "the doge mocenigo" power distributor, that I use for everything. It is a massive 8 outlet power distributor with two DC blockers, one on live and one on neutral, and a LARGE Schaffer RFI filter (up to 15A).

I think that the little Schaffer filters that a lot of people put in their builds damage the sound because they are not sufficiently rated for the high current surges that music sometimes asks for. Such a large filter should not have this problem. In fact (I know, this is all subjective, but we are not on ASR) I have noticed no sound degradation at all and instead a slight clean up, more smoothness.

I have not even tried to use the amp with a different power distributor, by the way, all audio equipment is connected there.

PCB for modified Sulzer regulator – v.2 | ATL Audio Ltd.

USSA-5 Build with Review

ATL-Hifi Sulzer 15V 375mA OP37 graph

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

[Big IMG, link] http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/hard/ATL-Hifi-Sulzer-15V-375mA-OP37-graph.jpg

...On the picture below can be seen Regulator’s measured performance with output voltage 15V, 40 Ohm load (375 mA load current)

For the tests was used a 35VA toroidal transformer with two secondary windings; soundcard used – E-MU 0404.

The regulator is offered with the following standard output voltages: 9V, 12V, 15V, 18V, 24V.

Last edited:
closed account
Joined 2007
Very clean power to the input board. Or the Universal Buffer (Neurochrome, Tom Christiansen), specially adapted to PURIFI.
Yes, I get it. You did not understand my question. Why would better performing SMPSs be needed for the Purifi Eval1 kit if it already has very good PSRR and SMPSs like the Hypex or Connex have low noise/ripple?

I think I have to partially revise myself. The result with the Connex supply is so good that it cannot be only due to the amplifier board. Yes, the components on it have no noble pedigree (Samxon capacitors) but Connex has a good reputation. I believe that the sound quality here is due to the fact that the supply is regulated.

Maybe when Cresnet will provide his own I will try and upgrade it :)

Roberto

closed account
Joined 2007

Yes, Alexandar has two versions, one with a broader board and a slimmer but longer board with space for a little trafo. I asked him to assemble the regulator on the slimmer board and cut away (!!!) the part for the transformer, adding screw terminals instead. So I will get a nice 70 x 90 board that will sit next to the 60 x 90 board for the 0.56uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator.

And early next week the universal buffer will be shipped!

I must say I do not understand all the interest in the Neurochrome buffer board for Purifi projects? What makes anyone think the Neurochrome would offer any advantage over Purifi's eval buffer board? The Neurochrome is just another IC based design. Are you at all aware of the performance of the 1612 OPA for example, it is no slouch!
If we are looking for alternatives for an input gain stage, I would hope that some enterprising DIYaudio member who is adept at discrete circuit development might design a discrete alternative specifically for the Purifi amp modules, this could be a great project, and a really good discrete circuit has the potential to outperform IC based designs if a clever and talented individual designs it. could probably be a decent commercial project as well as it is pretty clear there is going to be a demand for alternative buffers for the Purifi modules.

gain stage, I would hope that some enterprising DIYaudio member who is adept at discrete circuit development might design a discrete alternative specifically for the Purifi amp modules, this could be a great project, and a really good discrete circuit has the potential to outperform IC based designs if a clever and talented individual designs it. could probably be a decent commercial project as well as it is pretty clear there is going to be a demand for alternative buffers for the Purifi modules.
If it qualify as buffer (fully discrete) - this is the Pass Labs Universal Gain Stage, generation 4. If it does not fit the job or qualify as a buffer, then I apologizes.

Attachments

• The heart and soul.jpg
    The heart and soul.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 652