Brainstorming Purifi 1et400a amps

I got a reply from Tom at Neurochrome.

Sent message:
Just a followup on the Purifi adapter board for your universal buffer. We have an ongoing debate on how to make the thing work. From our limited perspective, the amp modules need control which the buffer alone probably(?) don't deliver but is found on the Purif EVAL1 board, so the talk was/is how to "hijack" the EVAL1 board to make things happen. A custom solution would be much better. But since our knowledge is way more limited than yours, I figured I would give you a heads up and perhaps you could find a few minutes and drop a comment or two in the thread.
Answer:
I don’t think the amp modules need control, but in the input boards I’ve designed for OEMs in the past, I’ve always connected the control lines of the amp to those of the SMPS. Might as well take advantage of the shutdown and such for over-temp, etc.

Tom

Arild it appears you have built the Purifi EVAL 1, would you give us your impression of the sound of the amplifier? What speakers are you driving and what preamp or DAC are you using? After all the music is what we looking for. Any information would be appreciated.
Jim

Arild it appears you have built the Purifi EVAL 1, would you give us your impression of the sound of the amplifier? What speakers are you driving and what preamp or DAC are you using? After all the music is what we looking for. Any information would be appreciated.
Jim
While we wait for a possible reply from Arild, did you check this review ?

Eigentakt demonstrator amplifier

Regarding Neurochrome universal buffer. Since the internal buffer can be bypassed completely, then all we would need to do is use the N.buffer as the front end and allow the signal to go through it before entering the Purifi EVAL1 board. So, that would mean an adapter board isn't really needed... correct ?

Arild I guess while telling us about the other items I questioned you about would you also give us some information on some of the following.
1. Did you have any problems ordering and receiving the EVAL 1.
2. Where did you purchase the SMSP 1200 A400.
3. Any problems connecting the P.S. or assembly of your amp.
4. Any suggestions on cases, assembly, or parts to purchase, would be greatly appreciated.
5. A build guide would really help.
Jim

I have a Benchmark DAC2 HGC of which I have driven a Benchmark AHB2 set to the 22dbu 9.8 VRMS balanced input setting, from the HGC DAC with 0 db attenuation settings which is 24dBu or approximately 12VRMS with good results. So, I may be able to drive the EVAL 1 set to buffer bypass.
Jim

closed account
Joined 2007
I am trying to figure out via the user guide which section is the buffer, so question is if its bypassed by:

And the Neurochrome buffer could use the Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator as the PSU

There are jumpers to bypass the buffer. Then the input is directly routed to the amp boards.

It seems that the SALAS is only "proven" to work attached to the secondaries of a transformer, not sure after a SMPS. I would like to use only SMPSs to keep size and weight low. So a little SMPS followed by a DC-DC converter, such as a dual TRACO with +-15V should work, and then a little CLC filter to kill the HF noise and smooth the residual ripple (which is at around 100mV). I would probably not do more mostly because I would not feel that comfy putting, say, another regulator with the little tantalum and 2 resistors to further clean everything.

Roberto

closed account
Joined 2007
Regarding Neurochrome universal buffer. Since the internal buffer can be bypassed completely, then all we would need to do is use the N.buffer as the front end and allow the signal to go through it before entering the Purifi EVAL1 board. So, that would mean an adapter board isn't really needed... correct ?

Correct. The EVAL1 board would be the adapter board, in a sense