New Dayton DSP amplifier boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So Parts express just started selling a line of Dayton DSP integrated TPA3116 boards and I was curious what the minds here think about the system.

Apparently they can be directly connected to the KAB bluetooth stereo boards as well to make a bluetooth enabled, active 2-way stereo system. You do have get the USB programmer as well, but even with that, the whole thing would cost about the same as a minidsp alone.

Dayton Audio DSPB-250 2x50W Class D Audio Amplifier Board with DSP

Dayton Audio DSPB-ICP1 In-Circuit Programmer USB and BLE Connection

I bought the following for measuring drivers and testing crossover designs. I got tired of removing my miniDSP from sub woofer duty for weeks on end.

DSPB-100
KAB-250v3
DSPB-ICP1

They are just Shure/Wondom parts with Dayton Part numbers. They work fine for my use case. I would rate the sound MidFi, low power. However, once I had the dsp configured well the 3 way I'm testing didn't sound bad at all. I really prefer Sigma Studio to the miniDSP plugin, it is vastly more flexible. The biggest surprise for me was the gain on DSP-100 is so much lower than the KAB-250v3, I had to push the woofer up +10db and the mid and tweeter down -2db and -4db. If I was to build some active speakers I think I would try the DSP only DSPB-K paired with some quality class D modules.

I have a drawer full of Sure products, amps and their DSP. I'd get excited when they would roll out a new product, buy it and get disappointed when I'd test distortion, power, etc. I guess I should have paid more attention to their their repeated mention of kiosk applications. :eek:

Check out the 3e Audio products - I bought their DSP (programmed with SigmaStudio which I prefer) and their 4 channel 3255 amp. I've done a fair amount of testing and I'm really impressed what you get for the money. Integration is a snap as they provide all the cables you need and the amp even supplies the DSP power. Very clean!

I've bought two of the Sure DSP Kernel boards to use as crossovers for a 3-way but haven't had the time to start playing with them.

I stumbled on this post stating that their Bessel/Butterworth/Chebyshev/Linkwitz-Riley filters are based on the Bilinear Transform, so the phase linearity is not preserved:

Is Bessel filter linear phase? - Q&A - SigmaDSP Processors and SigmaStudio Development Tool - EngineerZone

Which kind of sucks if I understand it correctly - I'm just starting out in speaker / crossover design so I might be wrong...

But I had the idea I could use the Sure DSP boards to do linear phase crossovers... :-/

Check out the 3e Audio products - I bought their DSP (programmed with SigmaStudio which I prefer) and their 4 channel 3255 amp.

I'm working on a 3-way active speaker, and 3E Audio had a 3-channel amp, so - no brainer, I wanted to buy it. But eventhough it's still advertised on Ebay, they don't make it anymore. :-/

I'll have a look at their DSP you mentioned though - I'm currently fiddling with the Sure DSP stuff, but if 3E is doing it better - hey, I'm game ;-)

I've been eyeballing the Dayton 8 channel DSP also.
I'm thinking about building 3-way speakers, but if they turn out to need a subwoofer for movies then something like two 4-channel DSP units will become a problem if I need to sum to mono for the subwoofer.
It seems to have high output as well. Just the accessories that seems to be a problem.

I'm working on a 3-way active speaker, and 3E Audio had a 3-channel amp, so - no brainer, I wanted to buy it. But eventhough it's still advertised on Ebay, they don't make it anymore. :-/

I'll have a look at their DSP you mentioned though - I'm currently fiddling with the Sure DSP stuff, but if 3E is doing it better - hey, I'm game ;-)

+1 on the 3e audio stuff. With the sigmastudio software you can run @ 48k/96k/192k sample rate. Mine is run @192k sample rate for 2-way stereo, which uses about > 200 instructions. For 3-way you're probably limited to 512 instructions @ 96k sample rate.

+1 on the 3e audio stuff. With the sigmastudio software you can run @ 48k/96k/192k sample rate. Mine is run @192k sample rate for 2-way stereo, which uses about > 200 instructions. For 3-way you're probably limited to 512 instructions @ 96k sample rate.

The 3E audio stuff I mentioned / know about is just amplification, not DSP.
What DSP unit are you using when you talk about using SigmaStudio?

Yup.This one:

ADAU1701 Audio DSP 2In 4Out Pre-Amplifier Board | eBay

Same as the Dayton DSP.

I almost bought it when 3e had a GB. I hesitated because I have no experiencee how to use Sigmaudio. I spent some time going thru what Analog Device posted on their website on Sigmaaudio and I still had no clue how to do it. And 3e has no manual on the programming (which I understood). since they are only selling the hardware.

Regards,

Yup.This one:

ADAU1701 Audio DSP 2In 4Out Pre-Amplifier Board | eBay

Same as the Dayton DSP.

I almost bought it when 3e had a GB. I hesitated because I have no experiencee how to use Sigmaudio. I spent some time going thru what Analog Device posted on their website on Sigmaaudio and I still had no clue how to do it. And 3e has no manual on the programming (which I understood). since they are only selling the hardware.

Regards,

Oh I find SigmaStudio pretty easy to use.
Have a look here : Basissetup erstellen und hochladen – Sure DSP Wiki

(Use Google Translate if you don't speak german ;-))

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.