Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Anyone try this TPA3116 Amp in Case
Anyone try this TPA3116 Amp in Case Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2019, 12:39 AM   #11
rcbuck is offline rcbuck  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Given the price and the source,....
I would tend to agree. I bought one of the cheap TPA3116 boards a couple of years ago. It worked and sounded good on a 24 volt brick supply. I only used it for background music in the shop, probably at about 1/2 watt output level. I have cheap 6 inch speakers so quality is not a concern.

I am going to order one of these just for grins to see if it functions at all. I need it like an extra hole in my head but the temptation is too great. I don't need the double chip version. I will only have two speakers so I don't need the +100 watt channel for the bass speaker.

Quote:
It is not clear to me if the RCA and aux inputs are the same or separate inputs.
The aux inputs are labeled L and R as are the speakers. So it is just a single chip stereo amp.
Old 4th December 2019, 01:57 AM   #12
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

There is cheap as in value for dollar and cheap as in trash bin worthy. It's astonishing that a $120 amp can compete in the $2000 + category. It begs the question as to why go after the ultra cheap unreliable questionable parts versions when real quality and solid engineering is just a tiny little bit higher.
Old 4th December 2019, 02:04 AM   #13
Victorinox is offline Victorinox  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavia View Post
There is cheap as in value for dollar and cheap as in trash bin worthy. It's astonishing that a $120 amp can compete in the $2000 + category. It begs the question as to why go after the ultra cheap unreliable questionable parts versions when real quality and solid engineering is just a tiny little bit higher.

I counted how many channels of amplification I have at my disposal. 213. I have two ears and one life. All money I wasted on unimaginable crap such as this one could easily bring me best one. Interestingly one I use as intended is 40 years old and perfect to my taste.
Old 4th December 2019, 02:52 AM   #14
Douglas Blake is offline Douglas Blake  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavia View Post
Still there is a line below which it is simply impossible to make a device of any quality... even at OEM prices the parts end up costing more than the product. Especially you aren't going to sell an amp in a nice aluminum case with a display for $10.00... you'd be losing money hand over fist.

Most likely those dirt cheap amps are end of line clearance or pallet lots abandoned because of technical flaws or high customer return. $10.00 is better than nothing.

I know quite a few amps in the $120 range that can easily compete with the $2000 and up category. Sadly they are largely ignored because they don't have audiophile "bling" going on. My favorite amp, right now, is just a little black box with a knob on it... 50 real watts per channel and just as good sounding as the high end stuff. Way more than good enough for my living room home theatre setup. Check This Out
Old 4th December 2019, 03:06 AM   #15
Victorinox is offline Victorinox  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Blake View Post
Still there is a line below which it is simply impossible to make a device of any quality... even at OEM prices the parts end up costing more than the product. Especially you aren't going to sell an amp in a nice aluminum case with a display for $10.00... you'd be losing money hand over fist.

Most likely those dirt cheap amps are end of line clearance or pallet lots abandoned because of technical flaws or high customer return. $10.00 is better than nothing.

I know quite a few amps in the $120 range that can easily compete with the $2000 and up category. Sadly they are largely ignored because they don't have audiophile "bling" going on. My favorite amp, right now, is just a little black box with a knob on it... 50 real watts per channel and just as good sounding as the high end stuff. Way more than good enough for my living room home theatre setup. Check This Out

That in ideal capitalistic society. In reality stuff often sold bellow cost to eliminate competition.
Old 4th December 2019, 08:16 AM   #16
Douglas Blake is offline Douglas Blake  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorinox View Post
That in ideal capitalistic society. In reality stuff often sold bellow cost to eliminate competition.
We used to call them "Loss Leaders"... thanks for the reminder.
Old 4th December 2019, 05:17 PM   #17
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbuck View Post
I would tend to agree. I bought one of the cheap TPA3116 boards a couple of years ago. It worked and sounded good on a 24 volt brick supply.

The aux inputs are labeled L and R as are the speakers. So it is just a single chip stereo amp.
Most chinese boards I ordered work and sound fine.

The aux input is part of the mp3 player/BT module which has an input selector. The rca input on the back might be a separate input. I guess the rca is wired to the aux.
Old 5th December 2019, 06:03 AM   #18
rcbuck is offline rcbuck  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My favorite amp, right now, is just a little black box with a knob on it...
That unit looks surprisingly like the $20 unit except it is in a metal case and includes the power supply. When the unit I ordered arrives I will open it up and take a photo and post it.

If it works and sounds as good as the Sony CFD-S22 boombox that I am currently using it will be worth the money. You can tell I am not a audio "purist". If it plays, it is good enough.

Anyone try this TPA3116 Amp in CaseHide this!Advertise here!