Anyone try this TPA3116 Amp in Case

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone tried this cheap amp? For less than $20 it may be OK for casual listening. Obviously the hype about gold terminals is not true. Also don't believe the part about the engineer spending lots of time to optimize everything.

2x50W TPA3116 Class D bluetooth 5.0 HIFI Stereo Amplifier HIFI Support USB TF Card RCA AUX USB Stick MP3 on AliExpress

tpa3116 class d bluetooth 5.0 hifi 2x50w stereo amplifier support usb tf card rca aux usb stick Sale - Banggood.com

But for $20 it is tempting to order just to open the case and see what is inside. :)

I don't know about that specific model, and since there are no inside pics, it's hard to say.

That being said, all my TPA3116 amps (I have 8), all of them purchased from Ali/Ebay, all sound great when used with a small tube preamp. I'm using a brick 24v PS on all of them.

Much better for what? 2Ohm loads instead of 4Ohm which has no problem with 3Ohm (ab)use. One chip is fine for most stereo use. You only get more power out of 2 chips with 2 ohm loads.

They at least spend some time on usability and a proper specification of features. To bad I only use 2.1

Features:
bluetooth 5.0 Lossless Transmission
Stable signal, long transmission distance (up to 12m), intelligently compatible with 99% of devices
Pure copper gold-plated terminals to strength the stability and accuracy of audio transmission signal
Proper size and attractive appearance
Supports multiple inputs (AUX/USB/bluetooth/USB Stick/TF Card). The USB port supports both computers (no driver is required) and phones, pad (with OTG function), It can provide you almost all methods that you want to enjoy your music.
It offers you great listening experience even at a very low price, the volume knob adopts expensive encoders instead of normal potentiometer to avoid noise when adjusting volume.
Hi-Fi sound and Powerful
HiFi clear and clarity sound, no audible noise, our engineer spent a lot of time and efforts to optimize the circuit to ensure it has no noise even at the maximum output power.
100W (50W x 2) MAX output power, which can drive most home speakers.
bluetooth: 5.0 Version, MAX 12M distance
Audio Inputs: 3.5mm AUX or bluetooth or USB or RCA or TF card or USB Stick
Audio Outputs: Banana Speaker Jacks

It is not clear to me if the RCA and aux inputs are the same or separate inputs.

Has anyone tried this cheap amp? For less than $20 it may be OK for casual listening. Obviously the hype about gold terminals is not true. Also don't believe the part about the engineer spending lots of time to optimize everything.

2x50W TPA3116 Class D bluetooth 5.0 HIFI Stereo Amplifier HIFI Support USB TF Card RCA AUX USB Stick MP3 on AliExpress

tpa3116 class d bluetooth 5.0 hifi 2x50w stereo amplifier support usb tf card rca aux usb stick Sale - Banggood.com

But for $20 it is tempting to order just to open the case and see what is inside. :)

Given the price and the source, I would be very concerned about the internal parts. You will likely find 25 volt capacitors on the bulk supply and it's just as likely they are using counterfeit and/or recovered parts... especially the TPA3116 chip.

There is a "crap line" for these mini-amps and it appears to be around $50.00 for a basic amplifier and $75 for one with added features. Above that you stand a good chance of getting a well made product. Below that, well ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

Given the price and the source,....
I would tend to agree. I bought one of the cheap TPA3116 boards a couple of years ago. It worked and sounded good on a 24 volt brick supply. I only used it for background music in the shop, probably at about 1/2 watt output level. I have cheap 6 inch speakers so quality is not a concern.

I am going to order one of these just for grins to see if it functions at all. I need it like an extra hole in my head but the temptation is too great. I don't need the double chip version. I will only have two speakers so I don't need the +100 watt channel for the bass speaker.

It is not clear to me if the RCA and aux inputs are the same or separate inputs.
The aux inputs are labeled L and R as are the speakers. So it is just a single chip stereo amp.

There is cheap as in value for dollar and cheap as in trash bin worthy. It's astonishing that a $120 amp can compete in the $2000 + category. It begs the question as to why go after the ultra cheap unreliable questionable parts versions when real quality and solid engineering is just a tiny little bit higher.

There is cheap as in value for dollar and cheap as in trash bin worthy. It's astonishing that a $120 amp can compete in the $2000 + category. It begs the question as to why go after the ultra cheap unreliable questionable parts versions when real quality and solid engineering is just a tiny little bit higher.

I counted how many channels of amplification I have at my disposal. 213. I have two ears and one life. All money I wasted on unimaginable crap such as this one could easily bring me best one. Interestingly one I use as intended is 40 years old and perfect to my taste.

Still there is a line below which it is simply impossible to make a device of any quality... even at OEM prices the parts end up costing more than the product. Especially you aren't going to sell an amp in a nice aluminum case with a display for $10.00... you'd be losing money hand over fist.

Most likely those dirt cheap amps are end of line clearance or pallet lots abandoned because of technical flaws or high customer return. $10.00 is better than nothing.

I know quite a few amps in the $120 range that can easily compete with the $2000 and up category. Sadly they are largely ignored because they don't have audiophile "bling" going on. My favorite amp, right now, is just a little black box with a knob on it... 50 real watts per channel and just as good sounding as the high end stuff. Way more than good enough for my living room home theatre setup. Check This Out

Still there is a line below which it is simply impossible to make a device of any quality... even at OEM prices the parts end up costing more than the product. Especially you aren't going to sell an amp in a nice aluminum case with a display for $10.00... you'd be losing money hand over fist.

Most likely those dirt cheap amps are end of line clearance or pallet lots abandoned because of technical flaws or high customer return. $10.00 is better than nothing.

I know quite a few amps in the $120 range that can easily compete with the $2000 and up category. Sadly they are largely ignored because they don't have audiophile "bling" going on. My favorite amp, right now, is just a little black box with a knob on it... 50 real watts per channel and just as good sounding as the high end stuff. Way more than good enough for my living room home theatre setup. Check This Out

That in ideal capitalistic society. In reality stuff often sold bellow cost to eliminate competition.

I would tend to agree. I bought one of the cheap TPA3116 boards a couple of years ago. It worked and sounded good on a 24 volt brick supply.

The aux inputs are labeled L and R as are the speakers. So it is just a single chip stereo amp.
Most chinese boards I ordered work and sound fine.

The aux input is part of the mp3 player/BT module which has an input selector. The rca input on the back might be a separate input. I guess the rca is wired to the aux.

My favorite amp, right now, is just a little black box with a knob on it...
That unit looks surprisingly like the $20 unit except it is in a metal case and includes the power supply. When the unit I ordered arrives I will open it up and take a photo and post it.

If it works and sounds as good as the Sony CFD-S22 boombox that I am currently using it will be worth the money. You can tell I am not a audio "purist". If it plays, it is good enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.