Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Hypex N400 problem
Hypex N400 problem
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2019, 02:35 PM   #1
rogerfederer is offline rogerfederer
diyAudio Member

Default Hypex N400 problem

I have tried searching old posts for my issue and have not found it. apologies if i missed it.

i have 2 n400 monoblocks in ghent cases i purchased on us audio mart in early 2018. someone else assembled them but the works seems to be competent. the power supplies are smps 600 version 3.

a few weeks ago i started having trouble with one of the amps. the sound would stop and start. then it stopped altogether. i pulled them out and finally popped the top yesterday. no apparent issue, but both the 400 board and the power supply are very complex.

running the bad one again this AM. same issue: will play for 3 or 4 seconds, stop for a second or 2 and start again. all the lights on the 400 board appear to be lit up. wiggling wires (none appear to be loose) makes no difference.

i tried a different power cord; different cable--no difference. i also tried my TPA3250 amp in the same rig with same power cord and cables and it worked fine.

if it is the power supply i can just order a new one. can someone give me troubleshooting tips?

many thanks!

EDIT: now after running for about 45 minutes or so the amp is playing continuously. will keep minitoring. still seems like something i need to figure out.
EDIT2: now no sound at all. when i turned off and then on the amp won't light up; dead. definitely points towards power supply. heat sink is pretty warm (running with the top off).

Last edited by rogerfederer; 17th November 2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 17th November 2019, 08:31 PM   #2
Diomedian is offline Diomedian  Canada
diyAudio Member

Is it practical to swap supplies, or run one from the other supply with the cases open?
Old 17th November 2019, 08:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i bet i could do that; all molex connectors for the wires, standoffs to connect to the case. good suggestion! probably can't try that today, but will try it. thanks!
Old 18th November 2019, 05:43 AM   #4
Corrievr is offline Corrievr
diyAudio Member

I would measure the voltages from the Power Supply. Should be symmetrical +/- supply. Also, check/verify the Bootstrap voltage from the Power Supply. I suspect you have a dead amplifier module - sounds like the internal protection circuits are operating.
Old 19th November 2019, 01:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks, corrievr
can i measure those on the molex pins? do you know what the voltages should be?
Old 19th November 2019, 03:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

guess i can check the voltages on the amp that is working and use that

Hypex N400 problemHide this!Advertise here!