Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Massive ringing with IPP320N20N3
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2019, 09:30 AM   #31
Reactance is offline Reactance  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kASD View Post
The Ultra Junction[superjunction] Mosfet design team at IXYS confirmed, it has nothing to do with the PCB layout, no matter how tight you make it, problem is inherent to Gate construction, the noise is much higher than planar mosfets.
I agree with this, its a pure periodic table material issue.

I do have a question around the ZXGD3003E6 whats the best way to construct a circuit to changing turn on/off timing without the need for RCD.

Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:20 AM   #32
SemperFi is offline SemperFi  Wake Island
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactance View Post
I agree with this, its a pure periodic table material issue.
Hmm. Same manufacturers have different type switching MOSFETs. Surely they use the same silicon? Or do they have different purities in different batches?
I thought semiconductor devices are mostly made different by varying the width and length of the channel? Then you must add the connections between the die and package pads/pins, which will have various inductive/capacitive/resistive properties.
I think it's more a geometry issue than materials issue.

Then again we have the 'rusty bolt effect' where nonlinearities appear because of junctions between various conducting materials, creating intermodulation distortion... Are we at that level looking into the physics of the chip? I think the parasitics that are a product of the geometry totally dominates.
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:14 PM   #33
kASD is offline kASD
Switching Power Fanatic
diyAudio Member

https://toshiba-semicon-storage.com/...-review-12.pdf
Old 9th December 2019, 03:00 PM   #34
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
Quote:
Originally Posted by kASD View Post
The Ultra Junction[superjunction] Mosfet design team at IXYS confirmed, it has nothing to do with the PCB layout, no matter how tight you make it, problem is inherent to Gate construction, the noise is much higher than planar mosfets.
I experienced the problem of "gate kickback oscillation" a long time ago with FCP36N60N in a PFC, even though it was soft switched, turning off into a capacitor.

It was fixed by tweaking drive impedance as seen from the gate at ~80Mhz where the oscillation was. It needed a particular resistance to inductance ratio.

Of course layout means impedances, not tightness. This is a serious misconception.

Blah blah expensive dinner team blah blah.
Old 9th December 2019, 06:20 PM   #35
Ultima Thule is offline Ultima Thule  Europe
diyAudio Member

Keep in mind that some times the same FET model but from another manufacturer can make a noticeable difference, my own experience although not with a class-D amp but with an SMPS product is that while working in the lab developing and doing EMC measurements (the company I worked for back then had their own accredited EMC lab) the SMPS product eventually looked fine and ready for production.

A while later we received a sample from the subcontractor and I would take it to the EMC lab and measure it, it was really noisy and didn't by far conform with the EMC standards, up to the lab and disassemble the SMPS and I found out the main switching FET was the same model, in this case IRF840, but from another manufacturer, changed the device to one from IR, back to the EMC lab and it went through fine again, so we had to tell the subcontractor to not use any other manufacturer than IR.
Old 10th December 2019, 03:22 AM   #36
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
And the other thing that proved to be effective was to add a few dozen pf SMD as close to terminals as possible (allowing lower drive resistance that way).

(Field Application Team)
Old 10th December 2019, 06:17 AM   #37
chchyong89 is offline chchyong89  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to chchyong89
attached is the EPSON printer switching driver circuit, it switches at 2.5Mhz. I remember I have scoped it weeks ago and no noticeable ringing with their design. The mosfet is IRF6665
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191210_141300.jpg (432.3 KB, 27 views)

Massive ringing with IPP320N20N3Hide this!Advertise here!