Berihnger A800 full review, pictures INSIDE )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is that look picture ?

House Parts produced for Behringer ?

Dual Mosfets ?

What chips using Behringer ? IRS 20957 ?

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    678.8 KB · Views: 558
Under the PCB there are two MOSfet´s, probably IRFB4227 or the like. Instead of using two screws, which can be tightened wrong, Behringer uses one screw, a metal piece and some softer material for even pressure distribution. The heat from the FET´s is transferred to the cases lower cover.
So the chance that the FET´s get too low or too much pressure, is reduced. Remember where they produce! You can see the 2x3 contact solder points on the left of your marking.
As this is a Studio and no PA amp, this should be just fine, needs no (loud) fan and has no heat sink that can be covered with dust over time.

I know that many "Pro´s" don´t like Behringer, professionel amp designers even hate them, but their products have reached an impressive performance/ price ratio and are quite reliable if used as intended. Their guarantee conditions and customer service are some of the best in the industry.
Many buyers of expensive stuff learn that after sales they are not welcome any more. This plays into the hands of Behringer, where you get anything repaired at no cost for 3 years, without any discussion.
The "sound" of amplifiers build right has so little variations, that even this argument is getting very weak today.
Internet, streaming and digital media have practically reduced the pay off from recorded music, for the majority of performers, to zero. Poor musicians do not buy LABgruppen because they hardly have enough to eat...

Very much agree with Turbowatch2 and adason.
It is rated at 400W in 4 ohm. Test shows this to be a little optimistic:
Behringer A800 Stereo Amplifier Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
Here a test shows 260W@4R@1%THD.

For a small studio or for home use, this is quite respectable. It suggests rail voltages at around +-50V dc.
This is not a power monster, and overall I think the build quality, again for the rated power, seems quite ok.
I would guess the FETs are TO220 FullPack not needing any isolation. You can get 4227's in fullpack also. Take a look at the guidelines here:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infin...N.pdf?fileId=5546d462677d0f460167bba4f4e81abd

And read the schematics for iNuke 3000 ... I think the A800 is very similar.

A few things seem to have been added though, especially around the output, where you find a so8 chip (does it read 311 ... so a comparator?) ... not sure what this is, and also the smal SOT23 on the picture called IC13, maybe a small temp sensor? ....

But all in all 200€ .... it's hard to beat ;)

The XLR inputs have a circuit behind them that functions to "untangle" the signals from a balanced input. This can attenuate the signal, but on the XLR's they still expect +4dBu! The sensitivity is higher, but still not the same of a typical home amp. I'm also pretty sure the sensitivity ratings are for the RCA.

And read the schematics for iNuke 3000 ... I think the A800 is very similar.

It does seem like the A800 lends its basis of design from the iNuke series as they're also class D. After all it's Behringer. They have to cut a corner somewhere. If this means repurposing a base board from another series and improving it (which it definitely is above the iNuke) then it seems like a no-brainer.

How can you possibly connect the douk audio tube(!) Pre amp via XLR ???

There's nothing inherently special about XLR. The Douk Audio tube preamp outputs signal like any other device, with electricity! They're just linked together. But I bet that the OP is using the RCA inputs on this, because that saves a needlessly expensive cable.

Last edited:
A great review here , thankyou. I use two of them and can say that Im very happy with them for what they cost. The Dial stay at around 2,oclock all the time fed by a Marantz 1509, one amp drives my lows the other the highs and mids, Dead silent between tracks, no noises on power up. Did get disturbingly warm when stacked with breathing space. So now separated in the rack, Seemed to mellow a little after a while, or I just got used to them, not sure..Ill definitely be keeping these ones...
I do agree with Adason, they are ugly, Ive since stuck film over the silly lights on the front covering all but the clip indicators, those ones Ill only ever see shortly before a divorce..:)

Thanks @rockerxx69 for the review.

I am feeling the urge to buy three of these amplifiers for my fully active stereo 3 way floor standing speakers. At the moment ony the bass is sperated from the mid+highs.

The German Thomann site mentions DC protection, but I do not see any relays on the circuit board. Is this the DC protection that the IRS chip offers? Actually fake DC protection, because when the MOSFETs fail, the rail voltage will kill all the drivers.

I am a big fan of removing input and output capacitors. It always feels like using condoms to me. No fun with condoms or femdoms or worse both at the same time. Is it easy to bridge the inpit capacitor?

I will also need to bridge the volume control pots as the volume for my active system is in the digital domain. Any problems there?

Also I am sure some of the capacitors can be replaced to get better sound or more life out of the A800. Is there any list or does anybody care to make one?

As always big thanks to everyone in the forum. It always amazes me the level of knowledge and help fullness of everyone here

Any idea how this compares to their KM750, aside from the passive vs active cooling?

What other magical sauce are they using to get a very Linear response from the class D and high efficiency from the SMPS? I mean, the KM750 is also class D with a SMPS.

I'm genuinely asking since the price difference is approx 50%.

Cheers!

KM750 is Class AB

I'm gonna see if I can open up my A800 and check the mosfets (with my model number.) Perhaps I find something more that I can improve still.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.