TPA3116D2 Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

To make things clear before I start: I'm a noob and quite possibly an idiot, so bear with me!

I've recently made a set of speakers based on two Peerless Vifa NE65W-04's, powered by a TPA3116D2 housed in a Nobsound GFJ510. Not bad, not the best by a long shot, very suitable for my needs however.

I'm now printing a new enclosure for a Tang Band W3-1876S and noticed in my preliminary tests that the TPA3116D2 doesn't have a real crossover (as per https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/237086-tpa3116d2-amp-post4095626.html).

Is there any board I can use that would allow me to plug in the tweeters + sub into prior to the amp so I can get a better/proper crossover?

This is definitely more hobbyist rather than even halfway decent, so I certainly don't expect fantastic results. This is purely for the TV in the lounge in an apartment, so I'm not looking at amazing high fidelity, just something that I can take some of the strain off the tweeters for their low end and put them on the sub where it belongs.

Any help for this idiot would be fantastic!

Thanks!

You can buy tone control boards off aliexpress and such. They have worked well for me.

I'm having good results with this amplifier and a Tang Band W5-1138smf subwoofer. It has adjustable low pass up to 180Hz with a 4 ohm sub.

AIYIMA TPA3116 Subwoofer Amplifier Board TPA3116D2 Audio Amplifiers 100W Bass Output DC12 24V-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day

You can also get just the crossover board without the amp

AIYIMA 1pcs Low Pass Filter Bass Subwoofer Single Power DC 9 32V Pre AMP Amplifier Board Dual Channel With Bass Volume Control-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day

For de midwoofer and tweeter, I usually rely on passive filtering after the amplifier. DSP is also a good solution but not a cheap one

That's what I have currently, but looking on TPA3116D2 Amp the crossover doesn't affect the tweeters at all, purely the sub, which kinda sucks!

For another post of you I've seen Nobsound GFJ510 is not using the same board as this one from Aiyima and I was told the Aiyima one (there also another similar board) is one of the boards that has working high pass filter though I can't confirm that.

For another post of you I've seen Nobsound GFJ510 is not using the same board as this one from Aiyima and I was told the Aiyima one (there also another similar board) is one of the boards that has working high pass filter though I can't confirm that.

Ahhah! Thank you! I'll see if I can find a Aiyima one that reflects that board, worst case I can modify it as it would still be cheaper than buying three crossovers and importing them.

Apprecite it!

Edit: Ah, looks like the nobsound also uses an Aiyima board - AIYIMA TPA3116 2.1 Digital Audio Amplifier Board 50W*2+100W TPA3116D2 Subwoofer Amplifier DIY Sound System Speaker Home Theater - AliExpress - 11.11_Double 11_Singles Day

Last edited:

Don't just look at the brand name, look at the layout. The same brand name has released a lot of board and different brand name also release the same board.

This is the Aiyima board supposed to have working high and low pass Turbowatch2 has quoted

TPA3116 Subwoofer Amplifier Board 2.1 Channel HIFI Bluetooth AMP 2*50W+100W | eBay

I have the same board from GHXAMP
GHXAMP TPA3116 2.1 Subwoofer Bluetooth Amplifier Digital Audio Board 50W*2+100W Bass AUX For 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker DIY NEW-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on AliExpress

Last edited:
Don't just look at the brand name, look at the layout. The same brand name has released a lot of board and different brand name also release the same board.

This is the Aiyima board supposed to have working high and low pass Turbowatch2 has quoted

TPA3116 Subwoofer Amplifier Board 2.1 Channel HIFI Bluetooth AMP 2*50W+100W | eBay

I have the same board from GHXAMP
GHXAMP TPA3116 2.1 Subwoofer Bluetooth Amplifier Digital Audio Board 50W*2+100W Bass AUX For 2.1 Bluetooth Speaker DIY NEW-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on AliExpress

Ahhah! Gotcha!

What I've decided to do since my last post is actually get a minidsp 2x4HD. I felt that this would be a great first step in starting to do things properly rather than muck around with measures such as passive crossovers etc.

But thank you for that link! I'll probably grab one of those at some point for another project. Appreciate the help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.