Volt+ with stepped attenuator heatsink help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a TPA3116 based mini amp and i like it so much because it sound very good with mit Tube-T1 tube preamp, that i want to upgrade for better sound.

volt+ stepped attenuator is a finished plug and play amp for only €69
VOLT+ With Stepped Attenuator - EU

I have a 24v 6a power supply i want to use for max power (8 ohm 85db speakers)

Allo Volt+ Speaker Amplifier (tpa3118) | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

The seperately available power supply is 19V, but you can go up to 26V if you need to drive less sensitive speakers, and to drive them loudly. However, the chipset really does better staying under 25W(8ohm) per channel or so, and below 24V. Save for some crazy bookshelves, I can’t see the point in stressing the voltage as paired with the Dali Zensor Picos, far from a sensitivity champion at 84db, the volt provided more than ample power with the 19V supply, going louder than I could bear shortly past the one o’clock mark. Also bear in mind that defining a useful volume range where you don't quickly out your hearing, you will have more control over the volume as there is no way to set it between steps in a stepped attenuator setup. Furthermore, stepping up to 24V yields audible change in SNR in all the tpa 311* amps that I have, all reproducing lower ranges with more control around the 19-21V level. Lastly, If you do decide to go 24V and intend to use it for long hours, I would suggest adding a wide/tall heatsink.

So it's recommended to use a heatsink when using a 24 volt power supply

But what size and material, copper ? Size of the chip is 11.00 mm x 6.20 mm, i just don't know how much bigger heatsink than that i can use, since i havn't bought the amp.

Something like this? 5pcs Spiky Blue Aluminum IC Chip Ram Heatsink With Thermal Doule Sided Tape | eBay

Or 12pcs 20x8.8x5mm Ram Heatsink Chipset Aluminum Heat Sink With Thermal Tapes | eBay

I would try to find something from europe and of course with thermal tape

ExjnXwK.png

Last edited:
The TPA3118 is a chip down design, in that the heat transfer interface is between the chip and the PCB. Adding a heatsink on the visible part of the chip may not be efficient, as the heat path is the other way.

Additionally, 24V is well within the 26V design limit of the chip. so addtional cooling is not required 'unless' Allo made a design manufacturing error ; a PM to cdsgames on this forum may put your mind at rest.

The TPA3118 is a chip down design, in that the heat transfer interface is between the chip and the PCB. Adding a heatsink on the visible part of the chip may not be efficient, as the heat path is the other way.

Additionally, 24V is well within the 26V design limit of the chip. so addtional cooling is not required 'unless' Allo made a design manufacturing error ; a PM to cdsgames on this forum may put your mind at rest.

Answer You could use it yes, but we never tested if it was needed ( I doubt it though)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.